Murine Ear wax cleaner
Feb 25, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

... I'm just concerned it may not be a good idea to squirt it in your ears. Then again it is used for cuts, so I guess in diluted doses, it won't kill you.

When I get my ears cleaned by my doctor he uses a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. I'm not sure how much of each but whatever he is using works like a charm and I have not had any negative side effects at all. I'm not sure if I would put it in my ear straight or not, I havent really thought about that. Any doctors in the house?

MJ

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #32 of 35
As http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise...de-in-ears.htm says, you can use Olive Oil, or any oil, before using H2O2 to remove ear wax.

Btw, not all flu's can be 'prevented' by inserting H2O2 into the ear - it has to be of a certain variety. You cooks (not kooks) - pay particvular attention later on i the article for cleaning fruits, vegetables and counters with vinegar and then H2O2. It supposedly is more powerful than clorine bleach in killing e.coli.

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #33 of 35
When I had my ER-4S's I occasionally used ear wax cleaner, and it was never painful. The only "side effect" I noticed was that when the drops were cold it would also result in a DIY caloric stimulation test as a cold liquid placed on your eardrum causes nystagmus. I'd put the drops in one ear while lying down on my side and wait the specified time (I think 2 minutes) and then rinse that ear out with warm water via the syringe, then I'd do the other ear.

As far as H2O2, it is rather unstable and reacts with lots of stuff, including things like time, heat, light, and pressure, which is why it's always in opaque containers.
biggrin.gif
Carbamide peroxide (AKA urea peroxide) is essentally the same as hydrogen peroxide except that it's a lot more stable.

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #34 of 35
But... you can pay $6 for 0.5 fluid ounce for Carbamide peroxide or $1 for a 16 ounces of H2O2.

If you're worried about it become unstable because of time, use it to wash fruits and vegetables. That will almost guarantee that you'll be buying a bottle once a month.

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Ear wax is good ..................

Like a well running engine we want a light coating. But like a car engine that never gets an oil change and filter change, crud forms which can damage the engine.

biggrin.gif
hehe.

Well, I just got back from an appointment with my ENT. This time he had alot more time to talk with me.

He discussed the results of the past MRI I had in more depth. There was absolutely nothing wrong, no tumors, etc.

He also took a look in my ears and he said I had absolutely no build up whatsoever. Just a few flakes hanging here and there. I asked about using peroxide cleaners, and he said that they will do more harm then good for me. The ear pain I had was from the little wax coating being stripped off, and me basically getting a mild swimmer's ear effect.

He showed me how far a Q-tip should ever go (was like barely in there. LOL)and that I should basically avoid it, unless my ears are wet and I want to dab up moisture.

We had a good discussion about Tinnitus too. cutting Caffiene and asparatame are helping greatly. He also mentioned that my past TMJ from having braces are probably contributing a bit too. And if I grind my teeth at night (which I sometimes do) it can aggrevate tinnitus.

So, I guess that means no silly ear cleaning for me.

I did get to see what looked like an pump that sucks stuff out of your ears. Scary.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back