Multipurpose Headphones
Jul 27, 2006 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

r1n7r4h

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently looking into a new pair of headphones mainly for gaming but I also listen to alot of music. Right now all I have is the Shure E3cs, all I could afford at the time, which I researched about here.

Anyways my sound card is the Sound Audigy 2 with 5.1 surround capabilities. I don't really care if the headphones are open or closed, as long as they perform well without an amp. My budget is under $200 and if you could provide a reputable internet reseller that would be AWESOME.

I did search through the forums but there are soo many choices and just in case there have been any new headphones released.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 24
I've spent all afternoon looking through the forums and maybe the users who bought their headphones and have had them for an extended amount of time have changed their input and my internet has been acting up to the point it takes me 1-2 minutes just to search and another 1-2 minutes to look at the 1st page of a post.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by r1n7r4h
I've spent all afternoon looking through the forums and maybe the users who bought their headphones and have had them for an extended amount of time have changed their input and my internet has been acting up to the point it takes me 1-2 minutes just to search and another 1-2 minutes to look at the 1st page of a post.

Ah, sorry for the trouble. I was in a bad mood at the time. Usually I'd provide a solid answer after what I said in the previous post. Anyway, I recommend the Audio Technica A900's. If you can't find them for $200 or less, go for the A700's. I believe there are a couple A900's on the FS forum right now, though.

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 24
Standard thing: Unamped AT A900, amped DT770.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 24
eek.gif
After finding that pdf that reviewed 12 closed cans, I'm beginning to worry that the A900s won't fit my head, as they are rather large.

Are there any other unamped cans (open or closed) that can compare to the A900s?

I'm gonna use my Plantronic headset as a point of reference in size, I have them on the smallest fitting, would there be anyway that these ATs would fit at all?

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 24
If it was JUST for music, I'd say get the Alessandro MS1 for $99, shipping included (i think). Do a search for Alessandro MS1 on google and you will get it as first result, I think.

The Sennheiser HD555 is selling for $105 in Amazon right now, shipping included. Very nice for gaming! Helps with positioning, first-person shooters, all that stuff.

They're both good, though I'd say the MS1 is very good for rock, whereas the HD555 has that whole surround-sound like feeling and is very good for classical and soundtracks.
In short, if you will be listening to rock with soundtracks thrown in here and there, get the MS1 (it doesn't have the positional aspect the HD555 has, because it lacks soundstage, but the sound is super good). If you will be listening to soundtracks and movies (games fall in this category) with an occassional dose of rock, get the HD555. I have both, so I'm speaking for my own tastes.

Don't spend more. You'll be happy with this. I have an AUdigy 2ZS I use for gaming as well. If you spend anymore, it's overkill. People will tell you to spend more here, but I say, follow their advise ONLY if you have a trained ear, otherwise, you won't get much more for spending more money.

I consider myself more of a mid-fi than a hi-fi. I like more than the everyday person, but won't spend as much as the true audiophiles here.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
Don't spend more. You'll be happy with this. I have an AUdigy 2ZS I use for gaming as well. If you spend anymore, it's overkill. People will tell you to spend more here, but I say, follow their advise ONLY if you have a trained ear, otherwise, you won't get much more for spending more money.

Atleast allow him to shake his head with A900's and DT770's.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Atleast allow him to shake his head with A900's and DT770's.

Hahahaha. In all fairness, I haven't listened to those models, so I cannot speak for them. I am referring to $100 price-range phones in the Grado/Alessandro/Sennheiser line-up only. But, given his source (Audigy soundcards really aren't known or music), you have to admit that it makes no sense spending money on a source that is not at the hi-fi level, musically speaking.

Im not familiar with BeyerDynamics sound at all, so I cannot say anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 24
Um, just a rule of thumb.
When purchasing, if you can afford a headphone and an amp, then ditch the amp and go higher up in the headphone chain. You'll get better results.

Also, when you say they were too big, does it matter if it's only for gaming and music? I assume you meant these for home-use only. If you want to sport them outside, then you're playing a whole different ballgame.

What exactly do you want?

1) Price range
2) Preferred music style (gaming is a given, since you yourself mentioned it, we just need to know music style so we can do the most all-purpose setup possible)
3) Portability
4) What brands have you heard yourself, and which did you like and didn't like?

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 24
What I meant by too big was they look the wings that are suppose to sit on the person's head won't even touch my head unless i somehow modded them.

1. My price range is about $200 before shipping and taxes.
2.Music: I listen to rap, pop, classical,and opera.
3.I don't care about portability at all since its strictly for home use and I have my Shure E3cs for on the go stuff.
frown.gif
Sadly only really tried Sony, Panasonic, Bose, and Shures. I liked the Bose but the build quality and price was ridiculous.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 24
A little research has revealed to me that the DT's have the widest soundstage from the main contenders. Look at the BeyerDynamics line, DT series for something in your price range. I've never used them, but lots of people seem to really like them for gaming. (shrugs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back