Multiple volumes on computer: Application vs System vs DAC. Where to set levels?
Oct 31, 2010 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

crateish

New Head-Fier
I just bought a Nuforce uDAC-2 and am enjoying it greatly, but this is a new world for me. I am using a MacBook Pro with my DAC, in case that matters.

We can control the volume in three places as I stated in my subject line:
The application playing the music.
The computer OS itself.
And of course the DAC.

Currently I am playing 24-bit files through an application called 'Play,' and streaming Internet radio through iTunes. I am looking at more pro-apps such as Pure Music, but am still in the exploration stage (advice on apps for the Mac are welcome as well).

Is there a common wisdom on where to set each volume?  On my own, my instincts tell me to keep the app volume in the mid range, the system volume pretty low, and to use the volume on the DAC to control what level reaches my ears. This may just be to avoid a loud earful if I plug something in later without the uDAC-2.

What are your thoughts on this subject to a newbie? Thanks.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Generally you'd want to set your source levels at maximum and then volume on your uDAC to preference. I'd also suggest you check the Audio Midi Setup settings under Applications>Utilities to ensure your files aren't being downsampled (make sure you close all audio applications before doing this and then just set bit and sample rate to match your highest quality files).

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 5
Not necessarily, since some onboard sound cards and older separate sound cards introduce distortion on max volume, stupid but true. For onboard I'd advise 70%-80%, but since OP is using the uDAC that's not a problem, just wanted to point it out. But yeah, keep everything to the max and alter the volume from the uDAC, I suppose this has something to do with volume altering modifying the data that's being sent and thus it wouldn't be 'bit-perfect', but that's just a guess from one who's not into bit-perfect playback.

Quote:
DAC. If you plan on getting an amp, then you adjust the volume with the amp, and everything else before it at max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back