Mul-T-Lock vs. Medeco
Nov 16, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 55
Commercial fire-labelled hollow steel doors are usually stronger than the typical residential metal-clad or solid core wood doors.
Metal-clad doors have a wood edge that the metal is crimped to, all the way around. It's actually a wood frame with a foam core to act as a sound and thermal barrier. These doors are easy to defeat (no free lessons).
Hollow steel doors are manufactured in different gauges, depending on the price range, fire rating and application (interior, perimeter, ballistic, security, etc.). I've installed deadbolts on hollow steel doors that were composed of 3 layers of 16-gauge steel laminated together, wrapped and welded to a standard 1 3/4" thickness. It even had a 12"x12" ballistic window. It wore out 5 hole saws.
If you get a really well made solid core wooden door, nobody will get through it easily. Contact a door company directly and tell them that you are looking for a sturdy door with security as the primary consideration. Ise a wraparound plate under the lock to prevent the door from splitting under force.
Don't forget the frame. Use 2" screws to secure the hinges through the frame into the stud. If you use a wooden door, use 2" screws to secure the hinge to the door as well. Consider replacing the wood frame with a pressed-steel frame. Make sure it is backed inside with wood studs to prevent it from collapsing under lateral pressure.
If you use a wooden frame, get a Bolt Buddy to prevent the frame from splitting on a kick-in attack.
Medeco and Multi-Lock are both ASSA-Abloy subsidiaries. Different product lines, but both deadbolts are UL437 rated for resistance to picking and other forms of attack. I've worked with both products and can recommend them both, though I like the silky smoothness of the bolt that Multi-Lock (and ASSA and Abloy) uses.
Hope this is helpful.

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #17 of 55
Bolt Buddy?

Do you have any links for where to buy in the USA?

Googling it popped this up:
dbb2.jpg

-Ed

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Well, no locksmith might do it for you, but someone with access to a CNC milling machine and a probe?

Why would they want to? And where would the average person find someone?
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Yes. There's a reason schools, commercial buildings, college dorms, and countless other buildings use metal doors instead of wood. Even the best wooden door is no match against a chainsaw or even an axe. Cut or chop around the lock area, open sesame. A metal door can be defeated the same way with an oxy-acetylene torch, a plasma cutter, or a hollow magnesium burning bar hooked up to an O2 bottle, which are things that few people have.

The reason schools and commercial buildings and apartment buildings in NYC have metal doors or metal clad doors is because it's part of the fire code. Metal doors stop the advance of fire much more effectively than any wooden door. Most dormitories and hotels have metal doors as well for the same reason.

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Bolt Buddy?

Do you have any links for where to buy in the USA?

Googling it popped this up:
dbb2.jpg

-Ed

Look up www.boltbuddy.com . That's the device I'm talking about. You should be able to get them through Home Depot in the US, I think. Worst case, direct order one. They're only $40-50 CDN.

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonman
Look up www.boltbuddy.com . That's the device I'm talking about. You should be able to get them through Home Depot in the US, I think. Worst case, direct order one. They're only $40-50 CDN.

Nobody knows what I am talking about when I ask about the Bolt Buddy here.

I checked out the site, but there is no online store.

Is there somewhere online where I can order?
confused.gif

-Ed

Nov 20, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #21 of 55
I just got the Mul-T-Lock deadbolt in today.

Holy crap, this thing is solid! The KwikSet is total crap in comparison.

Yikes, looks like I'm going to have to replace my front door. No way to retrofit the Mul-T-Lock with the Kwikset's bolt.

I still can't find where to buy the Bolt Buddy online.
confused.gif

-Ed

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
Phone (1-877-474-2694) or e-mail (info@boltbuddy.com) and ask for a U.S. distributor or retailer.

D.

I did. They are pretty slow to respond.

They told me that they usually only sell to installer and dealers. And the only dealer in my area apparently died recently.
confused.gif

I will try calling them directly. Hopefully they ship to the USA.

-Ed

Dec 24, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 55
I would suggest that you go to a good hardware store or a locksmith and get a wraparound plate for your door instead of using the Bolt Buddy portion that they recommend you use on the door. Sometimes there isn’t enough space between the cylinder housing and the doorstop on the frame to mount it, especially with a skookum lock like the Mul-T-Lock. You can save the pieces and buy long bollts at a good hardware store to use them as another Bolt Buddy frame reinforcer.
When you go to get the wraparound, you need to have some specific information. Finish – you have a chrome finished (626 or 26D) Bolt Buddy, your deadbolt is probably that or brushed brass (605 or 3). Backset – the distance from the center of the lock to the finished faceplate of the deadbolt, probably 2¾”. Door thickness – almost certainly 1¾” these days, but check to make sure it isn’t slightly thicker. Through bore – 2 1/8” for your deadbolt.
Does the bolt assembly still have the ball bearings that protrude from the sides of the bolt when you extend it? If so, make sure you use a heavy-duty strike (preferably the box strike that is in the package) and carefully install it in exactly the right position. The protruding bearings trap the end of the bolt in the frame to prevent the lock from being bypassed by frame spreading. BTW, it’s probably the smoothest operating bolt assembly made by anyone.
If you have any questions, PM me. I’m glad to help. I love keeping the bad guys out.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #26 of 55
Oh, crap. You're right. I don't think the door one will fit.

I'll post pics later of my door to show. I like the idea of the wrap-around. As the existing lock has a 5" backset, I'd either have to replace the door, or cut another door hole elsewhere, patch it up, and repaint my door.

The wrap around plate will allow me to have a slightly better aesthetic.

And yes, I looooooove how easy and smooth the bolt action is. Not to mention the double sided key works either way.

-Ed

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 55
I'm looking for a single cylinder deadbolt for my family and am also deciding between Medeco and Mul-T-Lock. I like the fact that the Mul-T-Lock's key is reversible, but am not entirely impressed by the dimples in the key as I see those sorts of keys all over the place here -- unless there's another feature on the key I'm missing, it's a piece of cake to get a duplicate. Which one is harder to pick, the Medeco or the Mul-T-Lock?

Jan 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 55
I went with mul-t-lock (not the same as multilock) a few years ago because the medeco keys can be duplicated anywhere by any locksmith. Mul-t-lock is an Israeli security company that developed these locks specifically so that the keys could not be duplicated without the information cards that come with the locks. Although it is probably possible for a locksmith to copy the keys, it is not an easy job, and you would need very specific know-how and equipment which the local hardware store probably does not have. I've had locks by fichet, medeco and another company now out of business, and one that I feel most secure with is the mul-t-lock. Their snap bolts are also extremely heavy but operate very smoothly, Btw, there are two types of cylinder available, with one offering more security. The only problem with the more secure lock is the difficulty finding locksmiths with the equipment to produce extra keys.

If I change locks in the future, I will probably go to an electronic combination lock type of thing with burglar alarm built in, but that's far in the future.

Btw, be sure to keep the key card in a safe place. Someone I know lost his key card and needed a locksmith to come and put a new combination on his cylinder before he could get extra keys made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back