Mul-T-Lock vs. Medeco
Aug 5, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #46 of 55
Edwood, look for an angled-aluminium plate sold under the "Stop Thief" brand, or get a metal shop to cut you one. Install it so the "L" is slid under the edge of the movable slider. Drill countersunk holes and screw it down. The sliding door prevents anyone from unscrewing it when the door is closed, and the vertical part of the plate prevents anyone from lifting the bottom of the door high enough to pull it free of the frame/track. You still need a locking pin or similar device to prevent the door from being forcibly slid open, though.
If you have the plate cut at a shop, get them to bevel the ends of the portion that will stick up. It hurts like Hell to step on that corner, even wearing shoes.
I'm a fan of the TOOOL site, but your average teenaged B&E artist or junkie won't take the time to defeat a high security lock. BTW, the local cops say that the average age of our break-in perps is TWELVE. Watch out for those teacher's professional days. Your risk of being hit skyrockets on those days and other school vacation times.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonman
I'm a fan of the TOOOL site, but your average teenaged B&E artist or junkie won't take the time to defeat a high security lock. BTW, the local cops say that the average age of our break-in perps is TWELVE. Watch out for those teacher's professional days. Your risk of being hit skyrockets on those days and other school vacation times.

Here in Europe, there are roving bands of professional thieves that use the highway system to hit an area and get the heck out of there. My grandmother lives in a tiny little German winemaking town, and she is the only one on *both* sides of her street who has not had her house burglarized...

Obviously, there are also professional thieves in the US, though they tend to go after higher-value targets like businesses.

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Here in Europe, there are roving bands of professional thieves that use the highway system to hit an area and get the heck out of there. My grandmother lives in a tiny little German winemaking town, and she is the only one on *both* sides of her street who has not had her house burglarized...

Obviously, there are also professional thieves in the US, though they tend to go after higher-value targets like businesses.

LOL, nice. Your grandmother is fortunate to have a security expert grandson.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, nice. Your grandmother is fortunate to have a security expert grandson.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Actually, I have very little to do with it!
My grandmother's now-deceased traveling companion was a former nuclear-submarine and locomotive engineer (and a major inspiration for me), who made sure that the entire house could be locked down quite securely whenever they traveled. The front door has three dead-bolt locks with high-security cylinders (that I'm going to get her to replace with anti-bump cylinders when I go by the house in a few weeks), all ground-level windows have welded steel bars, and the basement door around back can be blocked from the inside with a welded iron grate that's fit for any prison.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #50 of 55
ERic that story reminds me of "Death Wish 3". Maybe all the senior citizens should get together to fight back. Does granny have a shotgun?

Oh and a big dog doesnt hurt either.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
ERic that story reminds me of "Death Wish 3". Maybe all the senior citizens should get together to fight back. Does granny have a shotgun?

This is Germany, not Texas...

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #52 of 55
Bumping my old thread.

My Mul-T-Lock Hercular Deadbolt is having problems.

The key keeps getting stuck, it's pretty difficult to remove. It turns and locks/unlocks without problems.

What's the best way to lubricate the Mul-T-Lock?

The Key's getting stuck is worse, the colder it gets.

I have graphite powder for locks, but wasn't sure it would be good for the sliding pins/collars of the Mul-T-Lock.

-Ed

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #53 of 55
Well, the lock sticking was getting really bad, so I used some graphite lock powder. Worked like a charm.

I've heard of using PTFE(Teflon) Release Agents/Dry Lubricants Aerosol sprays as an alternative to graphite powder.

Wondering if that would work better or not?

-Ed

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #54 of 55
I stumbled across this tonight and thought I'd add a comment on lubrication.  Less lube is better, oil tends to attract dirt and grit, and Pam cooking spray works in a pinch.  Triflow and PTFE (Teflon) lubricants work great and will displace old lubricants and dirt.  
The new(ish) Mul-T-Lock MT5 is designed to resist bumping, picking and even a machinist fabricating a duplicate key.  It has a floating tab in the key tip, concentric pins as previous versions used with refinements, plus a separate sidebar.  I'm buying several MT5 cylinders to upgrade the locks in my new home.  

Quote:
Well, the lock sticking was getting really bad, so I used some graphite lock powder. Worked like a charm.

I've heard of using PTFE(Teflon) Release Agents/Dry Lubricants Aerosol sprays as an alternative to graphite powder.

Wondering if that would work better or not?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back