MSUR N650 / N550 / N350 any experience?
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #61 of 254
I just purchased a n650 and totally loving it. I will let the burn in and give my opinion after that.

I was looking for a DAC and I wanted your recommendation.

Also, what do guys think about these
New ESS ES9018K2M AD823 SA9023 USB DAC Decoder External Sound Card Headphone Amplifier Beyond ES9023 DAC, Free shipping
http://s.aliexpress.com/eUNrIvai
(from AliExpress Android)

Mini HIFI Desktop USB DAC DSD1796 XMOS U8 USB DAC Sound Card with Headphone Output Support 384K 32bit / DSD DOP
http://s.aliexpress.com/vQZv267r
(from AliExpress Android)

My collection in mostly FLAC and intend to try out DSD though not sure if DSD are widely available for my fav artist/music.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #62 of 254
So I have owned the N650's for a year, and I think they are alright for the price. The nice thing is you can drive them without an amp to a decent level.

But compared to my DT770 250 ohm and TR50P MK3, they are my least favorite. All of which are in the same ballpark of cost. The TR50P are my definite pick for sound quality but the DT770s win out in comfort.

The N650s need some work to bring the mids forward, tone down the sharpness, and expand the soundstage. If anyone has some ideas, let me know.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #63 of 254
I've had the N650 for a few weeks now. I absolutely love the sound of them. They're so detailed and warm at the same time. The only thing I don't like is the extra foam ring inside the earpads which makes them feel like an on-ear and can hurt my ears a bit after a couple of hours wearing. I'm going to try some different pads but I have a feeling it will negatively affect the sound.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #64 of 254
If the pads with that extra foam ring are the same as those I got with my N550 variant, the foam ring works as a massive so-called bass lens: It only lets sub bass go through it and the rest of the spectrum only through the hole in the middle. In other words if you change pads the bass hump will disappear. This hump probably "veil" soundstage and clarity. You will most likely need to tone down the treble after getting new pads. This could be done with a layer of felt in front of the driver.

From the reseller who sold me my unit, I was told that the N650 and N550 has identical drivers, but different housings, so in many ways the two will have the same properties/characteristics.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #66 of 254
I just placed an order for these off of AliExpress for ~$111 shipped! Their site is a little confusing. There are multiple sellers for them, apparently. Some cost more than others. Mine also has the retail box. Some offers don't.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #67 of 254
Great. You might like it. The key is to pair with it with a good DAC. I have tried a few, if not many, and the iFi iDSD micro brings the best out of this marvelous piece of headphones. The separation of instruments and soundstage was magical.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #69 of 254
Anyone interested in the MSUR N650? I have to cut down on my headphones and I'll be putting this one for sale one of these days.

Depending on your price, I could just cancel the order I made.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #70 of 254
Does anyone know if the HiFiMan 2.5mm cable fit these?
That's a good question. I think the HiFiMan plugs are stereo, while the MSUR are mono plugs, so it may or may not work.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #71 of 254
That's a good question. I think the HiFiMan plugs are stereo, while the MSUR are mono plugs, so it may or may not work.

Hmm, that seems to be correct. Well spotted :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #72 of 254
My MSUR N650 finally arrived, yesterday. I was hoping they would have arrived much sooner, as I wanted them to get me by until my TH-X00 Ebony arrived, but the TH-X00 arrived first. Oh well.

I am hoping I can get around to trying out the N650 tonight. I'm curious how they will fair against the TH-X00. I'm a bit worried they won't impress me, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and end up wanting to sell my TH-X00. It'd be nice to replace a $500 headphone with a slightly over $100 headphone.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to do some listening.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #73 of 254
Be prepared for a v-shaped frequency response... unless you mod it.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #75 of 254
Be prepared for a v-shaped frequency response... unless you mod it.

They got the pads swapped minutes after being on my head. The headband is rather uncomfy as well, at first. These headphones definitely have an interesting sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back