MSUR N650 / N550 / N350 any experience?
Nov 9, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #166 of 254
The reseller I have talked to said that the sound difference between N650 and N550 is subtle. According to him, the N650 has slightly more top end - and my experience with N550 says that it already has slightly too much in the uppermost treble. In other words: You don't need more treble than N550 unless you love a pronounced U-shaped frequency response...

The reseller also mentioned that on Chinese web sales platforms like Aliexpress etc., the items sold may be of different quality even though they look the same and state the same info. This - he suggested - explains the price difference of apparently identical items. I don't know if this is true, but it might explain why some people get a bad sample while others get a good product.

Perhaps it's even from the same producer, and some items pass the quality control and others (that don't pass QC) are sold cheap?

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #167 of 254
I should add that my current mod includes a layer of self adhesive paste between the driver-baffle and the cups. This mods reduces the mechanical noise dramatically. It's like doing a soft glue between the cup and baffle, so don't do it unless you are finished putting damping materials like fibres etc. behind the driver.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #169 of 254
Hi, new guy to this this thread here. I got lucky and found the original MSUR N550 (the one with the nicer pads and foam ring) on ebay for 89.99! Normally the newer ones (with those oddly crunchy lookingearpads) go for around 100 upwards on Aliexpress. It was a new listing (like brand new, i refreshed the page after being gone for a few hours and there it was) and there were already upwards of 7 people watching it.

Glad i grabbed it. I've been stalking this thread for awhile along with russian review sites (which seem to be popular among headphone nerds there) and was extremely intrigued by these amazing but seemingly unknown woodies.

Got the LGV20 for 59$ and the Hi Fi Dac setting sounds amazing! I have no doubt itll be able to drive the n550.

They'll be arriving sometime next Friday. I hooe they'll live up to the good praise you guys give these

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #170 of 254
Drivers are beryllium. Supposedly very thin...2 microns. Something usually seen on electrostatic headphones or some high end planar models.

Yes... I do use Stax 3100 / Fostex T50RP / T60RP, and can conclude that the beryllium drivers inside my Bosshifi B8 are almost the as detailed as Stax and the Fostex T60RP.

it's amazing!

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #171 of 254
I really hope that they release successors to their current models somewhere in the future... If they are able to make 70-100€ headphones sound this good right out the box without any eq or modding it would be interesting to hear what they could achieve with double the price.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #172 of 254
Yes... I do use Stax 3100 / Fostex T50RP / T60RP, and can conclude that the beryllium drivers inside my Bosshifi B8 are almost the as detailed as Stax and the Fostex T60RP.

it's amazing!
That's a bold statement! I'll keep that on my radar. Had no idea it had beryllium drivers as well.

I feel like i made a mistake buying the b7 instead of the b8 now...

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #173 of 254
I have to admit that the amount of detail my N650 reveals is sometimes surprising especially in the treble/upper midrange region. Few days ago i were listening to The Who, in "Eminence Front" i were able to hear very quiet and small almost insignificant synthlines that i havent heard before, then i switched to R70X (which is supposed to be reference grade-headphone and costs 3x N650´s price) and they were pretty much non-existent. Might be just my imagination but still interesting.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #174 of 254
That's a bold statement! I'll keep that on my radar. Had no idea it had beryllium drivers as well.

I feel like i made a mistake buying the b7 instead of the b8 now...

Well... if you enjoy the B7 it's fine isn't it?

Yeah... a bit of bolt statement it is. But I did compare a lot of headphones together with the Stax 3100 as 'The Ref'.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #175 of 254
Yeah i guess you're right. I do seem to enjoy hps others don't so im probably suffering from purchase remorse lol. We'll see when it gets here (hopefully before Christmas).

I was able to audition an L300 in Atlanta and loved it! If the b8 hits anywhere close to Stax than i would be happy to trade or sell my other hps for it.!

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #177 of 254
one thing i would like to ask all N650 owners , can you put angled pads on it , since it didnt get swivel cups which are not movable.

Why not, i tried Denon DX000-pads (chinese-ripoffs) to them but it changed the sound signature too much. Ive read that some HM5-pads might need some modification to fit properly.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #178 of 254
ok guys i need your help!

I just received these in the mail and... Im a little disappointed?

The vocals sound a bit muffled particularly but still get some amount of pierce (rare but still) so i do believe the detail is there. Its just being obstructed i think. I think this is due to the pads. But maybe i got a fake? This one has the pads with the foam ring in them. Do i remove the foam ring?

Also i dunno if this is normal but i took off the pads and it looks like there are 3 holes around the driver. 2 out of the 3 holes near the driver on each cup is covered with making tape. See the pic.

I honestly am very confused. I want to love these headphones as they are very beautiful, well built, and the low end is quite nice. I dont mind modding them as it is a hobby of mine but i want to make sure i know what the heck i have here. Is it a fake? (Also there's no indication of which cup is the L or R. Its only on the cables) What msur)!

sorry for rambling im just a little confused its like finally taking home your newborn baby. You're elated to have it but youre scared out of your mind about being a parent.

Edit: Thanks in advance also.

Attachments

• 20181123_140402[1].jpg
    20181123_140402[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #180 of 254
Sad to say but you got a fake @disfiguredlabrynth . Your driver is mostly transparent and through the holes you you can see 2-3 edges on the membrane.

IMG_20181123_213044.jpg
Here you can see 4-6 edges. No photo angle can change that also the driver is not partially transparent.

Ask for a refund. Refer to this thread and publish the Sellers name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back