MSB Technology's New Super Expensive Electrostatic Headphone Amp
Jan 5, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #61 of 63
Tried running the Utopia's directly for the XLR outputs of the Select DAC. There was more than enough power and headroom, volume was at 90, max is 106. Whilst incredibly detailed unfortunately the experiment didn't work so well with the HEK V2's, LCD-4's or any other Headphone. Not enough power and headroom available.

I think too that my wife and I are so used to the warmth & emotion of Valves that it would take some time to get used to running the Utopia's directly. It is my preference to sacrifice a bit of max detail for the incredible mid range of Western Electric 300B's and 274B's.

I have suggested to MSB that they make a Headphone amp for "normal' Headphones. My feeling is that they will eventually do it but there are other things higher up the chain of importance.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #62 of 63
  Tried running the Utopia's directly for the XLR outputs of the Select DAC. There was more than enough power and headroom, volume was at 90, max is 106. Whilst incredibly detailed unfortunately the experiment didn't work so well with the HEK V2's, LCD-4's or any other Headphone. Not enough power and headroom available.

I think too that my wife and I are so used to the warmth & emotion of Valves that it would take some time to get used to running the Utopia's directly. It is my preference to sacrifice a bit of max detail for the incredible mid range of Western Electric 300B's and 274B's.

I have suggested to MSB that they make a Headphone amp for "normal' Headphones. My feeling is that they will eventually do it but there are other things higher up the chain of importance.

Interesting. I also believe having tubes in the signal path (DAC or Amp) does seem to work well once you get to the higher level HPs. It is the speed and transparency of the drivers IMO that highlight any treble coldness / hifi sound. I would not say a tube output stage is a tone control, to me it is as detailed. But tubes just seem to handle things differently. 

Having said that there are many posts from owners who use the DAVE and the Utopia or the Abyss and they don't seem to have an issue, seem happy. Quite possibly the output on the Select is an impedance mismatch? I assume you used the balanced line out and it doesn't have a true headphone socket yet~?

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #63 of 63
thought i would reawaken this now 49 month-dormant thread.

since the last post of this thread in Jan 17', the Stax SR-009S's came out. and 2 weeks ago i purchased the MSB Select Electrostatic Headphone amp and added the 009S's.

i've owned the MSB Select II dac since mid 2017. mine has the second power supply, the 33 Femto clock, and the MSB Pro USB interface. 10 years ago i did own the BHSE and the Aristaeus amps with 009's, and 007 mk1's. sold those back then, but had really enjoyed them.

i'm really enjoying using this awesome amplifier and headphones, and glad i bought it. most nights i end my listening with a headphone session and it's very satisfying listening. i'm hearing a very natural and lively presentation, with the expected amazing levels of stat detail, but also excellent textures and timbre in the mids, the bass is supple and weighty, and there is a see into and walk around soundstage. sure, it's not anything like my 2-channel as it's mostly inside my head......but few 2 channel systems approach my 2-channel either. i don't need that from headphones. i'm looking for a musical connection and a 'zen' state experience. and i'm getting that in spades.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back