MSB Technology's New Super Expensive Electrostatic Headphone Amp
Apr 18, 2016 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

canister

Head-Fier
I was recently invited by MSB's Hong Kong distributor to audition (I am a use of the MSB Diamond DAC) the company's latest offering ...a headphone amp designed for Stax. This amp, which has not been formally launched in the market, resembles MSB's top of the line Select DAC, and the two are meant to be partnered together. Listening through a pair of SR009, I was extremely impressed with the sound the system produced. Everything just sounded so right and neutral. Transparency was stunning; equally impressive was the transient response and the micro/macro dynamics. Price is extremely expensive...a whopping $37,950!! (BTW, the Select DAC is priced at $124,995)

This amp was brought to Hong Kong in person by MSB's CEO, Larry. I understand the next stop for this amp will be the Munich Show.
I was given some information on this amp which is attached below. I believe his info is still officially unavailable on MSB's website. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 63
All that for less than $38,000. A pittance! I know of fountain pens that cost more than that. Get me two of them. One for odd numbered days. One for even numbered.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 63
Am I reading this right that you need to have msb select dac II as well? If true, then by far most expensive headphone setup by a long shot. Where are my rich friends?

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 63
 hey,remember back in the day when HD800 used to be the highest priced headphone? I bet in 2023 we be like "maaaaan! this 10000 euro ShangriLa is bargain! pair it with some budget mid fi 30000 amp like MSB and you get decent bang for buck combo"

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 63
I found about this about a month ago, I have a Select DAC and when I first heard about it I thought the price included a variation of the Select DAC, I was staggered when I found out you have to have a Select DAC to start with !!

I think MSB work on a manufacturing cost to retail price factor of 9 times, I have done some research and spoken to a few friends at other high end manufacturers and to survive, pay your staff well (so you retain them) and manufacture your product in the US you have to be at a minimum of 7 times the average is between 7-10 in the ultra high end market. 

To be honest I fully expect MSB to sell 50 of them by the time Munich is over and no I am not buying one !

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 63
Guys, when you are in this class( https://financesonline.com/10-most-expensive-writing-instruments-in-the-world/ ) it is a pittance.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 63
  Guys, when you are in this class( https://financesonline.com/10-most-expensive-writing-instruments-in-the-world/ ) it is a pittance.

Greetings from Brisbane !

I agree, its a case of if you want it that's what it costs, also you have to remember the Select is the ultimate in MSB's product line up, give it a while and we will see similar products but more in line with Analog DAC pricing. 

The takeaway is that MSB have listened to their users and have delivered a solution really quite quickly, surely this means more Headphone centric products coming out of MSB.

I have been asking for an normal headphone amp, I am praying that if it comes, its considerably cheaper. I can run Headphones directly out of the XLR outputs, the only one it struggles with is the Abyss.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 63
I found about this about a month ago, I have a Select DAC and when I first heard about it I thought the price included a variation of the Select DAC, I was staggered when I found out you have to have a Select DAC to start with !!

I think MSB work on a manufacturing cost to retail price factor of 9 times, I have done some research and spoken to a few friends at other high end manufacturers and to survive, pay your staff well (so you retain them) and manufacture your product in the US you have to be at a minimum of 7 times the average is between 7-10 in the ultra high end market. 

To be honest I fully expect MSB to sell 50 of them by the time Munich is over and no I am not buying one !

If you are buying the 120ishK select II dac, this 37k add on for headphones is probably a bargain.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 63
If you are buying the 120ishK select II dac, this 37k add on for headphones is probably a bargain.

Then I am not representative of the typical customer as I found the price shocking, probably because I spent all my money on buying the DAC and can't afford the headphone amp.

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 63
Get a YGGY and a BHSE.   
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 63
Posting a better pic

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 63
Am I reading this right that you need to have msb select dac II as well? If true, then by far most expensive headphone setup by a long shot. Where are my rich friends?

Agree, this IMO damages the MSB brand and put them in the 'amazingly marked up' category. I think they need to revisit their product and pricing strategy or they risk alienating their existing user base and new customers IMO. I'll wait till we have an audio user saying it is the best thing and beats the BHSE and any other electrostatic amp before I take notice.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #14 of 63
So, new Orpheus is mid-fi now?

XD

Full blown Select DAC with all options: 127.840$ 
MSB Electrostatic amp: 37.950$

That's 165.790$, more than three times the price of the new Orpheus 
deadhorse.gif

PS: And that's the price without headphones hahahaha

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 63
I don't get it. How can the output of their DAC "drive the headphones directly" if this new box has to be added to the chain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back