MS2i Amplifier
May 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm looking for an amp for my Alessandro MS2i's. I would like it to be a desktop amp, and an amp and DAC all together. 
My price range is under $200. It doesn't matter whether it's tube or SS, i just don't want to have to buy any extra parts to make it run.
Obviously it must have a 1/4th in. jack on it so I can plug in my MS2i's. 

I was looking at the HiFiMan EF2A and was initially going to buy that, but with efficient headphones such as the Alessandros, I've heard that it can get quite loud, and with the lower volumes has a difference between left and right channels. 
I was also looking at the Objective 2, but it seems that it does not have a 1/4th in. jack.
I've heard good things about the Fiio E17, but that's a portable amp, of which is not an issue if a desktop amp cannot be found. 
     (Does this have a 1/4th jack? I couldn't find that info anywhere, maybe I'm just blind! 
biggrin.gif
)

Any other suggestions for amps? I just can't seem to find any that fit those requirements!
Thanks a lot for your help!

Oh, if it matters, I listen to literally all types of music, but, Rock, Metal and Indie are my favourites.

Thanks!

May 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 9
+1, that's a darned good amp for sure and about all you will need for them. With Grado's, I find spending more than $200 on an amp to be foolish, but that's me.

Quote:
You might want to try a Little Dot I+. Good value, sounds great with Grado too!

May 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
+1, that's a darned good amp for sure and about all you will need for them. With Grado's, I find spending more than $200 on an amp to be foolish, but that's me.

Quote:
You might want to try a Little Dot I+. Good value, sounds great with Grado too!

Do I need a separate DAC with this, or is it all inclusive? Also, is this as 'loud' per say as the EF2A, or should there be no issues in regards to volume level?
Thanks so much for the advice!

May 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 9
There is no DAC with the Little-Dot 1+, but you can get a basic one for cheap on ebay for $50 or so. If this is a starter set-up then the cheap DAC should be fine.

May 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 9
May 14, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Is the E7 and E9 combo a good starter rig, or would I be better off getting the Little Dot and a DAC?
Could I use the E7 as a DAC for the Little Dot?

May 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 9
The FiiO 37 is a nice budget DAC, but the E9 is not good for Grado's. I have the E9 and it pairs badly with them. The Little-Dot 1+ is the better amp for the Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back