MS1 with comfies or bowls??
May 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've quarter modded my new MS1, and I like the comfy pads enough, but having used the bowls on my previous SR80, I'm wondering how the MS1 would sound with bowls? Slight increase in trebles? Tighten up the bass a bit?

Has anybody with MS1 switched to the bowls over the pads??

May 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 15
I bought the HD414 pads. They are a bit brighter or less muffled in comparison to the comfy pads in my opinion. I would guess the bowls would tighten up the bass and be a little more energetic overall.

May 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 15
I've tried comfies, quarter-modded 414 pads, reverse quarter-modded 414 pads, and bowls on the MS-1.

Bowls gave the most natural sound, and tightest bass impact without muddiness.

May 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 15
I switched to bowls the week after I got my MS1's and I never looked back. Comfy's are ...lol more comfortable, but bowls deliver a tighter sound overall. I can't stand the yellow 414 pads either (I walk outside with my ms1's, if you don't then perhaps it's not something for you to take into consideration)

May 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 15
I had both the bowls and comfies for my MS-1s; I preferred the bowls. The sound was a bit clearer/crisper and I found them to be more comfortable since they didn't clamp as much. I still couldn't wear them for more than 45 minutes though.

May 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 15
flats only with grados. there's no other way
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15
I would have to concur that bowls give the best sound. Though they actually don't increase resolution/clarity. It sounds less muddy since the drivers are further from your ears. Clarity is there with comfies, but drowned by bass. There is less bass with he bowls though, but not by much.

May 16, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 15
bowls all the way. they make the ms1 better in every way. on previous sets of ms1 that i've had in the past, i'd always use hd414 pads. it's odd since i've always had bowls sitting around and never though about trying them. i finally tried the bowls and haven't looked back since.

May 16, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 15
Washed abused bowls
biggrin.gif

New bowl pads are uncomfortable but after a while they're not as bad. The sound seems to change a little too, although I can't really recollect how. It's been a while
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 15
I bought bowls along with the MS1 when I had them.
smile.gif
I thought it was a worthwhile upgrade over the comfies. If I had to describe the sound, it'd be 'more refined'. But the comfies are deffo more comfortable, so maybe you could quarter mod them instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back