MS-2 arrived today!
May 16, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rock out my friend. btw i also have a mid fi setup...... hey not all of us can afford or willing to spend a couple grand on an amp, right. consider your self lucky for having a nice tube amp i just cant justtify buying one right now......and stuck with an ss.

If I may ask out of curiousity, what amp do you have at the moment?
smile.gif

I've been thinking about trying to make a DIY amp later on when I feel like changing my rig again.

Also, more pics~

May 16, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass, bass... what to say; It's great for rock and fun for metal and electronic and only sort-of alright for dance.

IIRC it's got more kick than the MS-1 but it's definitely still not what I'd call powerful. Honestly I think that people who find the MS-1's bass to be 'acceptable' should enjoy the upgrade.

Albums that's got a lot of good bass mastered into it like Massive Attack albums sound really good though.
smile.gif
I've never really liked Massive Attack before on my HD25-1 but I'm listening to Protection now and I'm really digging it.

Also flat pads might help. Wish I could try them but they're hard to come by and expensive (here on this side of the world anyways).

MS-2 have nice sound, the bass quantity wise might not be the preference on a bowl, also Are you listening to it via the amp? Any major difference with / without the amp? I didnt find much difference thou... But MS-2 is damn impressive very engaging details.

May 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-2 have nice sound, the bass quantity wise might not be the preference on a bowl, also Are you listening to it via the amp? Any major difference with / without the amp? I didnt find much difference thou... But MS-2 is damn impressive very engaging details.

Yeah I'm listening to it out of the Millet you see in the pics as well as my Zero headphone-out sometimes. It sounds a bit sweeter and less congested than out of an iPod but the differences are relatively minor like you say. Swapping the pads would be the easiest way to modify the sound I reckon. Reversing the bowls is a good trick.

May 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #21 of 33
Congratulations to that acquision.
beerchug.gif

The MS2i is the most beautiful looking headphone existing IMO. I didn't keep mine though, it was too involving and did not provide enough of the genre bandwidth I love so much about the other Alessandros.

But I give in, concentrated listening to Amon Tobin or some solo violin stuff with the MS2i is still an experience hardly to be rivaled with other gear.

May 16, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS2i is the most beautiful looking headphone existing IMO.

Yeah i bought them because i like the metal machine alloy look :p i could've got the wood thou, and now i am looking for a wood housing headphone :p

May 16, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations to that acquision.
beerchug.gif

The MS2i is the most beautiful looking headphone existing IMO.

I can't agree with you more
biggrin.gif

I also plan to buy a pair of MS2. I am curious whether the Alessandro series also have new versions as the Grado series. It seems not, right?

May 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #24 of 33
used to have those for more than 1 year before i sold them off to fund other stuff
comfort is an issue for me, can't wear them for more than 1hr straight
but nevertheless, an excellent value can
bigsmile_face.gif

May 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

If I may ask out of curiousity, what amp do you have at the moment?
smile.gif

I've been thinking about trying to make a DIY amp later on when I feel like changing my rig again.

Also, more pics~

i have a cantate. if u have the diy skill try to find out more info about m3 and sigma 11. but there is almost a consensus here that grado matches well w/ a tube amp. the good ting about my setup is that the cantate is a warm up so it kinda mellow down thoose sharp highs of the ms2. if u decide to just buy one also consider a mad ear amp. but remeber that i havent heard them and all my advice is from research and digging old posts.

May 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a cantate. if u have the diy skill try to find out more info about m3 and sigma 11. but there is almost a consensus here that grado matches well w/ a tube amp. the good ting about my setup is that the cantate is a warm up so it kinda mellow down thoose sharp highs of the ms2. if u decide to just buy one also consider a mad ear amp. but remeber that i havent heard them and all my advice is from research and digging old posts.

Cool.
smile.gif
I was actually looking at some of Meier's desktop amps before I went for the Millet, because I used to have a 2Move which I liked. I figured I'd do a SSMH to wet my feet before going into more difficult and expensive builds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mafaldich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious whether the Alessandro series also have new versions as the Grado series. It seems not, right?

The MS1 got updated with the new mushroom cups as well.

May 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #28 of 33
I just wanted to share something I found quite funny... after the 'new-toy-novelty' has sorta run dry I've been having second thoughts about keeping the MS2. The sound was sweet at first but got a bit fatiguing (like commonly reported by other people) and I've been having trouble 'breaking in' my head into the sound sig. And then there's the fit and comfort issues (too loose, too tight, makes ears sore), poor build quality (what's up with the painted lettering? Even the more expensive HP-1000 has lettering that rub off when you look at them wrong!), tangly cables (made worse by the twisting cups that you'd need to mod to fix)... etc., what else would you expect from a Grado right? I've been fiddling around with bending the headband for days and only just now got it nice and snug.

All of a sudden... everything just 'clicked in'. I just 'got it', so to speak. The sound is beautiful. I can see myself living with these for a long time to come.
smile.gif

Sorry for the strange rant/rave. But it's really just funny and weird how the mind works sometimes. I actually had this exact problem with my old MS1; I never 'got it', even though I knew it was a great phone (and I've always said to people that it was a great phone). That's why I eventually passed it along. I just figured I was a Sennheiser-sound guy or something.

Thanks for reading guys, happy listening.

May 22, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 33
the sound never fatigued me i simply just love it, although with the bowls now it felt it is very distant sounding... until i press it up to my ears :p so probably it is the lose headband issue :p

May 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

All of a sudden... everything just 'clicked in'. I just 'got it', so to speak. The sound is beautiful. I can see myself living with these for a long time to come.
smile.gif

Thanks for reading guys, happy listening.

Still waiting for my "Ah-Hah!" Epiphany moment...not sure if its the comfort/fit of the pads. I really do want these phones to work for me, but it doesn't seem like its happening. The slight shrillness of the treble plus lack of bass are things I can do without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back