MS-2 arrived today!
May 4, 2009 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Oya?

500+ Head-Fier
Got it back today! Just FYI the place I bought these from is Headphonic, really happy with the way they handled everything. The new pair is pretty much flawless.

Pics as promised. Sorry it's pretty mid-fi.
smile.gif
This will be my rig for a while to come.

Quote:

What's up with the lack of a MS-2 appreciation thread? Please point it out to me if I've missed it.
smile.gif

Just listening to it now through my Zero. Luckily I've got my soon-to-go HD25-1 next to me to compare. Still waiting for my new amp to arrive (a Millet Hybrid, more of a sidestep than an 'upgrade'? Any opinions?).

I used to own an MS-1 quite a while ago. Build quality and ergonomics is as I expected from a Grado/Alessandro - plain insulting, even if it does have a sort of 'DIY' charm. Sound is as sweet as I expected. I'm a bit surprised at the amount and quality of bass these put out, I wasn't really expecting much in this area.

I'm just deliberating if I should return these for a replacement (there's small chips and flaws on the cups, probably from the milling machines). Anyone else with metal Grados have similar defects? Is it worth the hassle (I'm a bit nit-picky about these things)? It would mean paying freight and waiting a few weeks, which annoys me.

I'll post pics when the Millet gets here.
smile.gif
Hope I didn't bore you all, just wanted to post my impressions.

May 6, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 33
I like the MS2's quite a bit, more so than my SR-325i's. Their overall presentation is far more neutral and relaxed and doesn't contain that edgy Grado sound. Quite nice indeed.

My experience with SR-325i shows that they become smoother and bass tends to become a little tighter/controlled. Highs also smooth out.

May 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, what are they going to be like after a year of heavy use? If much different, then go through the hassle.

- Ed

I generally take good care of my stuff; anyhows the store got back to me today and said I can get it replaced and I won't have to pay for return freight, so heck I guess I'm gonna go for it.
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the MS2's quite a bit, more so than my SR-325i's. Their overall presentation is far more neutral and relaxed and doesn't contain that edgy Grado sound. Quite nice indeed.

My experience with SR-325i shows that they become smoother and bass tends to become a little tighter/controlled. Highs also smooth out.

That sums up the impressions I got from reading comparisons between MS-2 with SR-325 pretty well. I would love to try and hear some myself but I can't really try out Grado phones down here because they're really expensive and there's very few demo locations (if any).

May 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally take good care of my stuff; anyhows the store got back to me today and said I can get it replaced and I won't have to pay for return freight, so heck I guess I'm gonna go for it.
smile.gif

Sounds like the perfect solution - and you won't be second-guessing yourself later. Enjoy!

- Ed

May 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 33
Oya?,

MS2 is a headphone more suited for a wider range of recording's/music than the SR-325i is. MS2 seems to have lesser bass impact, but has deeper extension.

I'm probably going to buy one sometime, but my K701 has me wrapped up at the moment
k701smile.gif

May 7, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 33
MS-2 have even lower bass notes, bass guitars on these are horrible in some tracks. Virtually no quantity at all as well.

Drums etc, has awesome impact was just simply awesome at first, over time it has way less impact now.
frown.gif
I dont know what happened to the sound but it has become less impactful overtime... less energetic now? But the overall sound has great extensions.

Putting my Pro 750 on shows me how much i am missing bass wise for tracks.

May 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 33
dude how big is this picture even on my 1MB/second connection it is still downloading!!! ahh you might wanna reduce the size on that 700KB for that?? reduce it! Thanks.

Nice combo there! hows the bass? hehe

May 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 33
man, those things are beyoootiful. nice rig.

I'm loving my ms-1s so much after only 1 day I've been thinking of just upgrading to the ms-2s. that pic doesn't help my wallet!

May 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 33
Bass, bass... what to say; It's great for rock and fun for metal and electronic and only sort-of alright for dance.

IIRC it's got more kick than the MS-1 but it's definitely still not what I'd call powerful. Honestly I think that people who find the MS-1's bass to be 'acceptable' should enjoy the upgrade.

Albums that's got a lot of good bass mastered into it like Massive Attack albums sound really good though.
smile.gif
I've never really liked Massive Attack before on my HD25-1 but I'm listening to Protection now and I'm really digging it.

Also flat pads might help. Wish I could try them but they're hard to come by and expensive (here on this side of the world anyways).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back