MS-1 or AD700?
Mar 3, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #16 of 21
for grado bowl lovers that use bowls on their ms1s, I cant think of anything the ms1 with bowls can do over the ad700s. For stock comfy pad users, the ms1 steps down in detail compared to when using them with bowls but the sound seems to become more integrated and the bass is satisfying enough which makes it the only point it has over the ad700s. The quality of the bass might be a little better on the ad700s though. I am not quite sure since I don't have the ms1s anymore. That type of thing needs some ab testing.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 21
I prefer the AD700 overall because I like soundstage. The MS1 can perform really well in fast rock tracks, but the AD700 wins hands down as an all-rounder. I don't think the MS1 is any brighter than the AD700.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #18 of 21
Well I was debating this very same question for some time, and after reading this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ale...n-club-199195/ and seeing 151 pages of support and almost all positive feedback on the ms-1, decided to take the ms-1.

i'm still waiting for my order, but figure even if i want to go with the AD700's a bit later on, i havent really lost out...plus, from what i've read the ms-1 suits metal/rock better, which is most of what i listen to.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #19 of 21
Own AD700s and have heard MS1s through some crappy flash player. Both are reasonably warm, from memory both have about the same detail. MS1 soundstage sounded very squashed though compared to the expansive one of the AD700s, although I would vouch the MS1's sound is very upfront compared to the relatively more distant AD700s - I wouldn't necessarily even put that down as a negative, it's much better for extended listening or when you're doing something else and want to be able to concentrate as well. Bass, I was expecting the MS1s to perform pretty well but at least from the source I heard them from they were quite weak, and sounded a bit muffled compared to the bouncy and light bass of the AD700s. Comfort was better on the AD700s, although the MS1 weren't uncomfortable. Portability in case you care also obviously goes massively to the MS1s, although they're open (can't really use them on the bus) and leak a lot of sound. AD700s you would be mad to use on the go.

I'd go with the AD700s.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the AD700 overall because I like soundstage. The MS1 can perform really well in fast rock tracks, but the AD700 wins hands down as an all-rounder. I don't think the MS1 is any brighter than the AD700.

yes, the ms1 is actually dull compared to the sparkly ad700s. The forward upper mids are what make them seem bright especially when using bowl pads which also take the mid treble up a few notches. Still it is a harsher kind of brightness than the ad700s crystalline character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back