MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
May 22, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,671 of 2,843
Well, I think the Draug 2 really brings something to the Ethers. There's a bit better bass extension and a somewhat greater soundstage vertically. I need more listening time to really appreciate it. If you're looking for a Draug 2 cable, you might want to order one soon as Trevor hinted that it may go away soon as it is his most labor intensive cable and it is just too consuming to offer it, at least for now.

May 24, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,673 of 2,843
Trevor may have his reasons for suggesting the Zoetic but, sitting here looking at this cable and listening to its qualities, call me impressed with the Draug 2. I am one happy customer.

May 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,674 of 2,843
There's always the question of synergy in picking a cable.  The key question I ask is "what is the system doing that I like, and what would I like differently?"  Once you have a baseline with the stock/known cables, you can talk to Trevor, WyWires, Kimber, Double Helix, etc about your preference for sonic changes and they can provide more qualified suggestions.  

For example, if your DAC/Amp is a bit bright you would avoid silver and seek a softer tone, but if it's a bit muddy you may want the clarity of silver.  Braided or twisted cables will have different electrical properties as well, so getting the right combination of assembly and materials is the key to optimization.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #2,675 of 2,843
What Dan said.

As for my personal opinion on the Ether, hybrid cables like Norne Solv and toxic virus are the way to go. I've tried both with the Ether and what i got was more of everything that was good about the Ether.

The Ether c on the other hand, I find to have less mid bass impact than the Ether so I'd be curious about pairing it with a draug 2. Alas my wife has permanently confiscated the Ether c so I'll never know. :p

Incidentally she uses toxic virus hybrid cables with her ether c (she used to have alpha primes) while I use a norne Solv with my Ether. We're both extremely satisfied with the sound.

Disclaimer: I've never heard the zoetic on the Ether. Could be a winning combo? I wouldn't know. But like Dan said it could depend on your preference and how your system already sounds. Would be fun to have a comparison all the same.

May 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,677 of 2,843
  I know that they do, but can somebody who owns the ether tell me if the ether comes with the black and white tuning pads in the box so I can prove some guy wrong.

The tuning pads are an Ether C included accessory only.

May 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,680 of 2,843
Different tuning on the headphones creates a different result. On Ether the parts don't work well.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 30, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,681 of 2,843
For inquiring minds my Ether is in the classifieds. It is a better deal for the European folks out there no doubt but such is life :)
Will probably help finance Canjam London :3

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #2,685 of 2,843
Hello Ether Owners
I have the AQ Nighthawks as my main home headphones and love them but for Classical and some Jazz listening, I do yearn for a bit more neutrality, detail and wider soundstage but still retaining musicality.  I am considering the Ethers, either open or closed, especially as I have a Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon coming later in the year. Will the open Ethers be better for these genres, provide detail but with some warmth and are they bright as some have said?  Thanks for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back