MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,486 of 2,843
I can't comment on HE-6 cause only heard them a few short occasions never finding something to talk about but I can compare Ether with my modded HD800. And while Ether's soundstage not as wide as HD800 but still very good and otherwise Ether beat HD800 in any other way so I have to get them and compare at my house while using Out Of Your Head program

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,487 of 2,843
I would consider new. I'm not trying to get a mile off retail but a couple inches would be good.

If you are happy with your current DAC the amp only version is less expensive. I have a Vega, so went DAC only. The 430HA + Vega makes for an excellent pairing.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,488 of 2,843
I have just received my ETHER. It is my first open headphone, coming from a background of IEMs, and it has greatly exceeded my expectations. I have demoed a number of headphones over the years but nothing has ever completely clicked with me. There always seems to be some distracting aspect to them.

ETHER just gets out of the way.

I think a lot of that has to do with how comfortable they are. Similar to my CIEMs, once they have warmed against your body they simply disappear. It is also due to the signature, which seems very balanced, cohesive and natural. They are articulate and revealing without becoming 'hyper-detailed', and imaging feels precise.

Simply put, they present music that I know and love in a very effortless, enjoyable and foot-tapping way.

If anything, there is a ssss to the treble that I am still getting accustomed too. I wouldn't say it's sibilance, it isn't necessarily unpleasant, just different. Perhaps it's 'air' that my IEMs haven't been able to reproduce.

Congratulations to Dan and all those involved at mrspeakers for creating such an accomplished and thoroughly enjoyable headphone.

PS: It seems I have overestimated my girth :p  If anyone who ordered ETHER but missed out on the preorder t-shirt would fit size L, I would be happy to send it to you (after you have posted your impressions here, of course...)

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,489 of 2,843
I have just received my ETHER. It is my first open headphone, coming from a background of IEMs, and it has greatly exceeded my expectations. I have demoed a number of headphones over the years but nothing has ever completely clicked with me. There always seems to be some distracting aspect to them.

ETHER just gets out of the way.

I think a lot of that has to do with how comfortable they are. Similar to my CIEMs, once they have warmed against your body they simply disappear. It is also due to the signature, which seems very balanced, cohesive and natural. They are articulate and revealing without becoming 'hyper-detailed', and imaging feels precise.

Simply put, they present music that I know and love in a very effortless, enjoyable and foot-tapping way.

If anything, there is a ssss to the treble that I am still getting accustomed too. I wouldn't say it's sibilance, it isn't necessarily unpleasant, just different. Perhaps it's 'air' that my IEMs haven't been able to reproduce.

Congratulations to Dan and all those involved at mrspeakers for creating such an accomplished and thoroughly enjoyable headphone.

PS: It seems I have overestimated my girth 
tongue.gif
 If anyone who ordered ETHER but missed out on the preorder t-shirt would fit size L, I would be happy to send it to you (after you have posted your impressions here, of course...)

This is almost exactly how I would describe the Ether (they are foot-tapping, "get out of the way" headphones). Hopefully we get a full review from you soon!

And my Ether shirt Size S fits perfectly (just like the Ether).  
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,496 of 2,843
Any word on where we will end this week?

I'm interested in that as well. m8o reported over 6 days ago that his order # 4845 had shipped, and mine are order # 4856 and haven't shipped yet. Not that I'm eager or anything. :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,498 of 2,843
  I purchased mine from Woo Audio which received their inventory last week. It came with a free headphone stand and free shipping.

According to Dan, right now they are having some kind of quality issue that will delay the Ether for two weeks!  I don't know if that will affect those that have already shipped!

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,499 of 2,843
Some of the parts from one of our vendors was delivered to us defective (tolerances were off) which has kept us from completing a number of units. We are using the time to build up other sub-assemblies so when we get the critical parts in, we will be able to ship a high volume quickly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,500 of 2,843
I'm very interested in the Ether since it seems to be the only planar in a reasonable price range that offers similar soundstage and detail retrieval to the HD800 (HE1K is out of the question at $3000).  Many people have told me that the HD800 synergizes poorly with my Oppo HA-1 so they highly recommend against that pairing.  I've read through most of this thread and come to the sad conclusion that many also think the same with the HA-1 and Ether pairing.

Now that more retail units have been sent out, have more people tried this pairing?  I do not want to upgrade my DAC or Amp from the HA-1 for a long time, but I want a good headphone upgrade over the HE-400i whose detail, soundstage and clarity are not its strengths.  Will the Ether pair with the HA-1 better than a non-modded HD800?  Will this pairing deliver a bit more warmth than the HD800 due to its planar magnetic pedigree?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back