MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #826 of 2,843
The older Grado headphones such as the HP1 are really good. If they went for a reasonable price and not the near 3k on ebay I would own a pair of those. 

Any current production Grado...definitely not for me.

May 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #828 of 2,843
Had listen to this headphone for last two days.

I would say personally I like this sound sig so much, It's slight bright but not as much as HE560. Kind remind me of LCD-X sound with slight bright presentation, more forward mid, accurate sound but at the same time there's very musical and intimate feeling that made vocal songs so addictive. Bass is not as big as Audeze, not very punchy, but they have tendency to full body and smooth bass presentation.

I love the soundstage presentation, very good depth and width, wider than my Oppo PM-1 indeed, and more airy feeling too. I prefer Ether's imaging than LCD-X that I had before. It's just feel more "complete" and accurate.

Love it for jazz, acoustic, even some Top 40 songs. Poor recording would gonna become crap though.

Tested them via few set up, but what I like the most for now is Sony D-100 and Bakoon HDA 5520.

It's not really hard to drive them, but they reveal the quality of set up very well.

Would post few photos later.

May 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #829 of 2,843
Nice to hear your impressions. I think the Ether reflects the DAC/amp chain so well. The Yggy + WA5 is truly something out of this world.

May 26, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #836 of 2,843
The HE-560 is great but just like Ether, it is very transparent and revealing of gear.

Bought a HE-560 to try once again. The Ether isn't widely available yet anyway. I might get the Ether too when it is. 

Grado PS1000/PS1000e, laid back/spacious, check it out!

From your profile it looks like you are a HE-560 fan yourself? I also picked up some nice adapters for a good price from "some guy" on the for-sale forum so that I can use the Norne Arcane that I'd been using for my LCD-X. 
atsmile.gif
 Cheers for that. 

May 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #838 of 2,843
Now that the Prime is discontinued,Dan and the gang oughta be working on a new closed back.I keep telling myself I should not get the Ether because my main use for HP is in a close quarters living condition.By the time the new closed back is ready,I should have enough fund (and valid reason) for upgrades.And that new HP is gonna be better than the Prime.Something like a closed-back version of this Ether.yeayyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back