MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #511 of 2,843
  HiFiMan didn't have a HE-6 at the show so I didn't want to make too many comparisons from an old memory.

You won't need HE-6 comparisons for much longer anyway.  I asked the people at the HiFiMan table why they didn't have an HE-6 and they said it was being discontinued and that there would be a new model between the 560 and 1000.

Any info on how long till we see the HE-7? 

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #512 of 2,843
I have a question for those who've heard a burnt in Ether in a quiet setting. 

Some background before the question itself...

I own a T1, Alpha Prime and LCD-X. 

I find that the LCD-X is by far the most impactful, exciting, detailed, showpiece headphone of my collection. However, I'm considering getting rid of it. This might seem illogical but I will explain. 

I use the T1 at my workplace and I do development work (coding/programming whatever) with them running off my BH Crack amp and it sounds awesome. Light weight "airy" sound with great soundstage, tone, imaging, etc. It lacks the visceral impact of the LCD-X but this is a GOOD thing. I can listen to the T1 all day long and be extremely productive while being thoroughly entertained by the music. Every now and then I say to myself, DAMN this music sounds good. 

The Alpha Prime produces a different sound but with a similar outcome to my T1. It doesn't punch you in the face like the LCD-X but you can listen all day long. 

The LCD-X sounds like I am AT a concert or a studio or even on stage. It is simply awesome. However, I cannot do any effective work while listening to them. The only way I can is to turn down the volume (a lot) and lose the impact and excitement that I bought the LCD-X for. At good listening volumes, the LCD-X is just so prominent (and awesome) that I just cannot concentrate on the work I am meant to be doing. It's like trying to work while in the middle of a concert. 

If I had unlimited funds I'd probably keep the LCD-X as my showpiece/flagship headphone but as I do NOT have unlimited funds, I may consider selling them to fund perhaps an Ether? 

So back to the question... 

To all those who've heard a burnt in Ether in a nice environment, would you consider the Ether as a headphone you could listen to all day WHILE doing desk work and enjoy both activities? Or is it more like the LCD-X which in my opinion hits hard and makes it almost impossible to concentrate on anything other than the music? 

Thanks in advance. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #513 of 2,843
  I heard the Ether at AXPONA over the weekend and was particularly impressed.

First off, it's much lighter than any other new planar magnetics I've tried so people who have trouble with the comfort of the Audeze or HE series will have a much better chance finding this comfortable.

The sound is also much lighter and airier that than any other planar magnetics I've heard besides the HE1000.  (That list includes all of Audeze's current line up, the HE5, HE5LE, HE400i, HE560, HE6, PM-1, and the Abyss.  The Ether's tonality is roughly similar to 400i's and 560's but cleaner, clearer, and without any sharpness in the treble like all the HEs I've heard except for the 1000.  The bass doesn't have quite the same visceral slam as the LCD lineup and was maybe a tad less than the 400i and 560 but it still goes low and rumbles if called for by the track.

The soundstage is a bit bigger than all the other planar magnetics I've heard except for the HE1000.  The Ether has good balance between depth and width but it's not as large or as effortlessly open as the HE1000 or the HD800 (to mention a dynamic finally).

It has a bit of lushness in the mids, which to my ears is usually indicative of a bit of second harmonic distortion, but I found the sound cleaner than the 400i and 560, though not quite as clean as the LCD series.

Overall, I think a good summary of the Ether would be to say that it's sound is halfway between the LCD-3 and the HD800.  A less relatable comparison would be to call the Ether an HE1000 Lite.

would you describe the ethers' signature as on the warm/dark side of neutral?

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #514 of 2,843
  Any info on how long till we see the HE-7? 

They didn't give me a timeline on that.  Given their new naming conventions I'm guessing it will be an HE-700 though.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #515 of 2,843
Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You won't need HE-6 comparisons for much longer anyway.  I asked the people at the HiFiMan table why they didn't have an HE-6 and they said it was being discontinued and that there would be a new model between the 560 and 1000.

Awww, Snap!!!! 
popcorn.gif

Pretty much a no-brainer though, that something like that would be coming eventually.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #516 of 2,843

I find that the LCD-X is by far the most impactful, exciting, detailed, showpiece headphone of my collection. However, I'm considering getting rid of it. This might seem illogical but I will explain. 

I use the T1 at my workplace and I do development work (coding/programming whatever) with them running off my BH Crack amp and it sounds awesome. Light weight "airy" sound with great soundstage, tone, imaging, etc. It lacks the visceral impact of the LCD-X but this is a GOOD thing. I can listen to the T1 all day long and be extremely productive while being thoroughly entertained by the music. Every now and then I say to myself, DAMN this music sounds good. 

The Alpha Prime produces a different sound but with a similar outcome to my T1. It doesn't punch you in the face like the LCD-X but you can listen all day long. 

The LCD-X sounds like I am AT a concert or a studio or even on stage. It is simply awesome. However, I cannot do any effective work while listening to them. The only way I can is to turn down the volume (a lot) and lose the impact and excitement that I bought the LCD-X for. At good listening volumes, the LCD-X is just so prominent (and awesome) that I just cannot concentrate on the work I am meant to be doing. It's like trying to work while in the middle of a concert. 

If I had unlimited funds I'd probably keep the LCD-X as my showpiece/flagship headphone but as I do NOT have unlimited funds, I may consider selling them to fund perhaps an Ether? 

To all those who've heard a burnt in Ether in a nice environment, would you consider the Ether as a headphone you could listen to all day WHILE doing desk work and enjoy both activities? Or is it more like the LCD-X which in my opinion hits hard and makes it almost impossible to concentrate on anything other than the music? 

Thanks in advance. 

You could always try no music at work. Probably be more productive by the sounds of it.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #517 of 2,843

You could always try no music at work. Probably be more productive by the sounds of it.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

That doesn't sound like much fun at all, and he asked to make both tasks enjoyable. And quite frankly, what fun is anything without good music? Let alone a desk job.

Thanks in advance. 

As it has been stated before, the Ether is basically a chameleon for whatever DAC/amp combo you are on. While I did not hear the Ether in a "quiet" environment, the show floor was quite slow when I listened. Ambient noise 40-50 dB qualitatively. With the Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson, yes. Plenty smooth and musical for long listening sessions. I'd say that it had a very similar presentation in regards to "musicality vs. technicality" as the Mad Dog, which I'm, very familiar with. It sounds way better than the Mad Dog, but for that particular attribute I'd say that it falls on the same note. IMO, musical, but not exaggeratedly so. Still technical enough, but musical nonetheless, if I had to pick one. While I haven't heard the T1 or the LCD-X, I know that sound signature that you are in search of, for I too am in search of it. The Ether on the Liquid Crimson did it. Now, the Ether with the Rag/Yggy, personally, it was not smooth enough to get work done too and had too much of an "in your face" presentation. It didn't sound loud or clipped, just very articulate and not laid back, definitely middle of the road if not leaning to being more technical. Definitely a great rig, but not for what you plan to do with it. IMO of course.

While I haven't heard it myself, I've heard the Crack is pretty smooth, depending on the tubes. I don't know tubes. But whatever your Dac/amp combo sounds like is basically what an Ether will sound like through said system.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #518 of 2,843

That doesn't sound like much fun at all, and he asked to make both tasks enjoyable. And quite frankly, what fun is anything without good music? Let alone a desk job.

As it has been stated before, the Ether is basically a chameleon for whatever DAC/amp combo you are on. While I did not hear the Ether in a "quiet" environment, the show floor was quite slow when I listened. Ambient noise 40-50 dB qualitatively. With the Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson, yes. Plenty smooth and musical for long listening sessions. I'd say that it had a very similar presentation in regards to "musicality vs. technicality" as the Mad Dog, which I'm, very familiar with. It sounds way better than the Mad Dog, but for that particular attribute I'd say that it falls on the same note. IMO, musical, but not exaggeratedly so. Still technical enough, but musical nonetheless, if I had to pick one. While I haven't heard the T1 or the LCD-X, I know that sound signature that you are in search of, for I too am in search of it. The Ether on the Liquid Crimson did it. Now, the Ether with the Rag/Yggy, personally, it was not smooth enough to get work done too and had too much of an "in your face" presentation. It didn't sound loud or clipped, just very articulate and not laid back, definitely middle of the road if not leaning to being more technical. Definitely a great rig, but not for what you plan to do with it. IMO of course.

While I haven't heard it myself, I've heard the Crack is pretty smooth, depending on the tubes. I don't know tubes. But whatever your Dac/amp combo sounds like is basically what an Ether will sound like through said system.

Thank you for your response. It was more helpful than you know. My favorite mid-fi headphone was the Mad Dog 3.2 so what you're saying about the Ether really perks my interest. 

I have two amps coming which will pair with whatever headphone I end up using whether it be Ether or LCD-X. Cavali Liquid Carbon and Pulse Tube HPA. I will probably hang on to the LCD-X until my amps come and then hopefully by then there will be some Ethers in the "wild" that I can try. From what you have told me though. It sounds incredibly promising so thanks for that. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #519 of 2,843
Thank you for your response. It was more helpful than you know. My favorite mid-fi headphone was the Mad Dog 3.2 so what you're saying about the Ether really perks my interest. 

I have two amps coming which will pair with whatever headphone I end up using whether it be Ether or LCD-X. Cavali Liquid Carbon and Pulse Tube HPA. I will probably hang on to the LCD-X until my amps come and then hopefully by then there will be some Ethers in the "wild" that I can try. From what you have told me though. It sounds incredibly promising so thanks for that. 

Dan had a Liquid Carbon running one of the Ethers at Axpona and he was personally a big fan of the amp. I didn't get a chance to hear it, but I'm sure it's a great buy.

And you're welcome. I still recommend that you listen yourself before buying as it is harder and harder to pick out the differences in high end gear and it mainly becomes preference based.

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #520 of 2,843
Dan had a Liquid Carbon running one of the Ethers at Axpona and he was personally a big fan of the amp. I didn't get a chance to hear it, but I'm sure it's a great buy.

And you're welcome. I still recommend that you listen yourself before buying as it is harder and harder to pick out the differences in high end gear and it mainly becomes preference based.

Ditto from me I heard the combination as well. I likes the carbon the best of the three amps that mr. speaker had for listening to the ether. I rate the Carbon as no.1, next the woo Wa 5 as no. 2, and the Ragnarok as no 3 with the ether. Personally I liked the ether and placed a pre-order for a pair. They said the ether will ship in late June. I am looking forward to getting my pair.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #521 of 2,843
 Ditto from me I heard the combination as well. I likes the carbon the best of the three amps that mr. speaker had for listening to the ether. I rate the Carbon as no.1, next the woo Wa 5 as no. 2, and the Ragnarok as no 3 with the ether. Personally I liked the ether and placed a pre-order for a pair. They said the ether will ship in late June. I am looking forward to getting my pair.

I think you are talking about the Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson here. Mrspeakers had four amps running the Ethers. Three were large and on the front table, the Liquid Crimson, Ragnarok, and WA5. The Liquid Carbon was off to the right hand side and a lot smaller than the others.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #522 of 2,843

Thanks in advance. 

Wow feel exactly the same about T1 and LCD3. I'll add on one point: the LCD's have unbearable high weight. 

Wish Ether could have LCD's sound and lighter weight which is confirmed)/ 

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #523 of 2,843

Wow feel exactly the same about T1 and LCD3. I'll add on one point: the LCD's have unbearable high weight. 

Keep in mind, the Ether doesn't look as pretty as your LCD-3. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #524 of 2,843

It would be a bit silly for flagships from different companies to be tuned to have the same sound signature. audeze should be releasing suspension type headband designs in the future that you can swap out on your lcd-3 for people bothered by the weight. in the meantime, you can use the leather suspension strap mod offered by Lohb for heavy Audeze headphones. greatly improves the comfort.

I actually think the ether looks prettier and sleeker than the audeze headphones.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #525 of 2,843

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

The main problem with the op I think was that he can't resist putting himself on an unhealthy volume when he listens to LCD-X. 
tongue.gif

Despite enjoying the music from my LCD-X, I agree with the op that the sound is quite distracting indeed.
Really interested in how the Ethers perform at a lower volume, since my X is quite underwhelming when I keep the volume down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back