MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #2,731 of 2,843
can you post the pics?
thx

I used to have the normal 6.3mm jack, reterminated it using the silver neutrik 4 pin XLR in order to fit those connectors that I have and the cable is the original stiffy cable. I was surprised he even changed it to newer DUM XLR.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,732 of 2,843
That is totally untrue, I remember I regretted so much about getting the Shure SE530 when it first came out, there was absolutely no details in the music and very lacking in treble. The shop told me they take a long time to burn in and I ended up loving them, apart from the built and shure's after sales service.

There is very old hat advice on this forum that states "if you don't like how a headphone sounds the first time you hear it, no amount of burn-in will change this over time."

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #2,733 of 2,843
I agree. The first impression isnt as important as I once thought. I was demoing the Dharma D1000 vs the Ether open. I was listening to the Dharma for a day or two and then tried the Ether. At first I favored the Dharma and thought the Ether sounded nuts. I gave it another try and listened to nothing but the Ether for awhile then went back to the Dharma. Thank god i did that. The Ether is WAY better to my ears. It takes time to adjust to sound - i.e. if you're used to hearing the LCD-3 and then go to something like the Ether you might think it sounds thin or lacks bass, but thats only because the LCD-3 can be so colored. 

It takes time to adjust to new sound, and headphones do sound different over time. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,734 of 2,843
It's true, I personally don't like the sound signature of LCD-3/4, think they are a little bass heavy, LCD-X sounds just right for me, neutral and accurate, I thought the ether open sounds a lot like X, with maybe a little less bass extension? I didn't have the right music to determine on the bass accurately last time so will have a demo again later today, hope it is as good as I thought they were. The main advantage would be the much lighter weight, easier on the neck. :wink:

if you're used to hearing the LCD-3 and then go to something like the Ether you might think it sounds thin or lacks bass, but thats only because the LCD-3 can be so colored. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,735 of 2,843
I keep saying this... You can tinker with the sound...With pads and the internals both official and unofficially...
The unofficial is based on an earlier version of the Ether damping inside.
To my taste it's superb.
Read back up the thread....

Keep smiling and Go Ether...

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,736 of 2,843
I keep saying this... You can tinker with the sound...With pads and the internals both official and unofficially...
The unofficial is based on an earlier version of the Ether damping inside.
To my taste it's superb.
Read back up the thread....

Keep smiling and Go Ether...

What pad changes have you made? How'd they change the sound?

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,738 of 2,843
Ha! I'm glad for you but now I'm curious about the flow. Then again it's a dangerous habit to keep buying, selling, and buying more stuff. I wonder how much better it'll be than the Ether. Do you have any of the other MrSpeakers stuff? Just curious. The Alpha Prime has gotten good reviews for the most part. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2,739 of 2,843
They said they'll be offering upgrades for existing ether owners
bigsmile_face.gif

I haven't owned any other Mr speakers items but did compare ether's side by side the HD800S and HE1000 and preferred the Ether to both so the Flow should be amazing.
The ether gave 90-95% of the he1000 in all aspects while having clearer separation; and sounding more natural than the Sennheisers so I'm a bit of a fanboy already. 

The blue is slowly growing on me the more i look at it, just like the red did.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,740 of 2,843
  They said they'll be offering upgrades for existing ether owners
bigsmile_face.gif

I haven't owned any other Mr speakers items but did compare ether's side by side the HD800S and HE1000 and preferred the Ether to both so the Flow should be amazing.
The ether gave 90-95% of the he1000 in all aspects while having clearer separation; and sounding more natural than the Sennheisers so I'm a bit of a fanboy already. 

The blue is slowly growing on me the more i look at it, just like the red did.

Had an Ether, I then "replaced" it with a modded HD800 and HE-1000. However, I could not bring myself to sell it as it is like an excellent blend between the HD800 and HE-1000.
Using a Norne Solv hybrid cable with my Ether and it's just sublime. I'm in a mini dilemma now as I don't need 3 headphones (not to mention the MASSIVE hit in my pocket) but can't bring myself to sell any of them. 

I noticed you sold your V281. What are you currently using? 

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,741 of 2,843
Regarding the upgrade, does anyone know when it will be available or how much? :)  

I have both an Ether and Ether C to upgrade! :D

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #2,742 of 2,843
mmm.....I queried and the official word ifrom Mr. Speakers is that we, upgraders, have to wait for the details (cost, procedure, availability,  rebuild time, warranty effect etc.) in the following weeks to come. So, let's just enjoy our Ether C and Ether for now and the Flow will surely come.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,743 of 2,843
  Bombshell!
I'm only a few weeks away from getting an ether and now what i thought was going to be an electrostatic is a new ortho from Mr speakers!!!
I hope i can get the flow version with the red trim.

Thankfully the E-stat is still in development so we'll be able to buy that as well. The prototypes have been getting better every time I've heard them and I'm quite looking forward to the release. I'll probably be upgrading my Ether to the Flow when I have the funds.

Regarding the upgrade, does anyone know when it will be available or how much? :)  

I have both an Ether and Ether C to upgrade! :D

No announcement on pricing. Raypin's right about Dan still working out the details. Hopefully it's not too strenuous on the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back