MrSpeakers Ether CX - $899 from Massdrop
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #711 of 744
How would you describe the sound? Is the bass anemic?
Hard to describe

It's not based anemic at all. It's just perfectly flat. It took me awhile to realize, I'm not hearing a lack of bass, but I'm actually hearing a lack of distortion. Hence why the Stealths have a small bass hump to make up for the lack of distortion

That being said, I really prefer the Harmon curve, but being a poor collage student has the small issue of not being able to afford my dream cans being Stealths heh

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #713 of 744
I ordered an Ether2 leather strap like @roskodan suggested and a bunch of replacement slider replacements so I might get a chance to get some FR of the pad rolling on a miniDSP EARS in the new year. I pulled my Ether C 1.0 out of storage and compared it to the pad-rolled CX and I think that the bass and fun factor of the CX is greater but the detail of the C 1.0 was better. At half the price, the CX is a contender.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #714 of 744
Has anyone in this thread used the CX for mixing/mastering purposes? If so, how do you like them for that purpose? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Additionally, do any of you own both the CX and LCD-XC? If so, how do they compare? I've recently sold my XC, and thinking the CX might be a suitable replacement. Thoughts?

TIA!

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #715 of 744
I have the both and they're really better at monitoring than mixing and better at mixing than mastering. I prefer the more speaker-like presentation of the XC when mastering, but the Ether CX is so much more comfortable to wear for long sessions. Both expose detail equally well but the Ether XC has more of the feeling of nearfields without a sub.

I've worn both for monitoring while recording and they're both pretty phenomenal for that; each one replicates sound so well I've forgotten that I was wearing headphones and stood up to set my guitar down because I'd forgotten there was a cord tying me to my interface.

Edit: I've had one pair of CX/C Flow 1.1s that had hard driver clipping when monitoring guitars with hot pickups. Not normal, but I've started to use the XCs more

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #716 of 744
I have the both and they're really better at monitoring than mixing and better at mixing than mastering. I prefer the more speaker-like presentation of the XC when mastering, but the Ether CX is so much more comfortable to wear for long sessions. Both expose detail equally well but the Ether XC has more of the feeling of nearfields without a sub.

I've worn both for monitoring while recording and they're both pretty phenomenal for that; each one replicates sound so well I've forgotten that I was wearing headphones and stood up to set my guitar down because I'd forgotten there was a cord tying me to my interface.
Thanks for that response! I’m starting to think I should have held on to my XC. I’m still considering the CX, and at $699, it’s not a bad deal. Do you find the CX to be too analytical? The detail on the XC was nice, and I'm hoping for something on that level at the least.

Have you used any other HP’s for mixing/mastering that you really like, and aren’t in the Audeze lineup? I love the brand, but just looking for another great HP, possibly closed back, as a replacement. It would be nice to keep it under $1k, but I suppose I could save up a tad more if necessary. I have an EQ, so not too worried about the HP's sounding perfect out of the box.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #717 of 744
How is the noise isolation of Ether CX compared to other closed cans (Aeon, D9200/7200, HD820, etc)? I'm shopping for a pair of headphones to use in office, so blocking external noise is top priority to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back