MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jun 7, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #4,201 of 4,813
How's the quality on that SE? Better than the IDSD?

Yes, it's much better than the amp section of the iDSD, IMO. There is no channel imbalance with volume knob on low and detail retrieval is noticeably better. Everything is better than using the iDSD on its own for me.

The XBass on the SE is kinda the star of the show on the SE for me, particularly paired with the Ether C. The 3D Holographic switch doesn't seem to make a significant difference...a smidge more effect than the iDSD's 3D switch.

You obviously don't get the IEMatch settings of the iDSD, but if you're buying the SE, you probably are not getting it for IEMs.

One issue I'm having is with the iPower adapter that came with the SE. I can hear buzzing / hissing from the unit whenever the volume is low or on 0, and when I make sudden movements and/or put my hands on my headphone cups. It looks like this is a common issue related to the iPower, so I submitted a support ticket and hope to get a replacement. Apparently that or a different power supply (e.g., LPS) will alleviate this issue.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #4,203 of 4,813
Alright.. 

I blame all of you for this.. but here's my completed audio setup that these headphones inspired me to do.

(funny how one purchase can inspire another.. and another.. )

DAC - Gungnir Multibit
Amp - Mjolnir 2 w/ stock tubes
Cables - Wywires w/ custom HD 800 and Ether-C adapters (Thanks to Dave @ Inner Sanctum Audio)

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #4,204 of 4,813
  Alright.. 

I blame all of you for this.. but here's my completed audio setup that these headphones inspired me to do.

DAC - Gungnir Multibit
Cables - Wywires w/ custom HD 800 and Ether-C adapters (Thanks to Dave @ Inner Sanctum Audio)

Beautiful. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #4,205 of 4,813
  Alright.. 

DAC - Gungnir Multibit

Hi Robobandit -  
Thanks so much for the shout-out! Glad you are enjoying your new setup.

Are you finding that the Schiit gear plays well with both the HD800 and the Ether-C?

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #4,206 of 4,813

Hi Robobandit -  
Thanks so much for the shout-out! Glad you are enjoying your new setup.

Are you finding that the Schiit gear plays well with both the HD800 and the Ether-C?

It seems to like them both equally. I modded my HD800 with the superdepont mod before I hooked everything up today.

Going to give it a few weeks before I start tube rolling, otherwise I'll never stop lol

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4,207 of 4,813
I just received my  Chrord Mojo and I here's my 2 cents on it in combination with the Ether Cs 1.1 and two black felt pads: Very spacious sound. Many layers of sound, very natural sound, highs are a bit "splashy" if ever so slightly. Bass is very impactful and the whole sound is authorative. Midrange sings. Dynamic / HiFi-esque nature compared to my Violectric Stack. Slightly gritty sound, dare I to say Jitter? Now to put this into perspective: My V800 DAC has a world-class de-jitterer and is fed by a reasonably High End Coax Cable from a Sonar STX Coax Output and Bit-Wise Linux Audio. The Violectric V200 Amp sounds slightly darker and has I would say double the amount of layers, a more defined and controlled bass, but only slightly. The High-End on the Violectric Extends more and has more clarity, overall the more mature setup and three times the price of the Mojo and minus the portability. The Mojo's buttons are cool, no problems with them, build quality of the Mojo is great. My one gripe with it is how to mount that beast onto my iPhone, the cabling solutions on the market are suboptimal and I really dont know how to stack this thing - at the moment the physical setup sucks, I will need to do a good amount of experimenting to get it right. Soundwise the Mojo is portable heaven indeed, it drives the Ethers with ease and maturity.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #4,208 of 4,813
  I just received my  Chrord Mojo and I here's my 2 cents on it in combination with the Ether Cs 1.1 and two black felt pads: Very spacious sound. Many layers of sound, very natural sound, highs are a bit "splashy" if ever so slightly. Bass is very impactful and the whole sound is authorative. Midrange sings. Dynamic / HiFi-esque nature compared to my Violectric Stack. Slightly gritty sound, dare I to say Jitter? Now to put this into perspective: My V800 DAC has a world-class de-jitterer and is fed by a reasonably High End Coax Cable from a Sonar STX Coax Output and Bit-Wise Linux Audio. The Violectric V200 Amp sounds slightly darker and has I would say double the amount of layers, a more defined and controlled bass, but only slightly. The High-End on the Violectric Extends more and has more clarity, overall the more mature setup and three times the price of the Mojo and minus the portability. The Mojo's buttons are cool, no problems with them, build quality of the Mojo is great. My one gripe with it is how to mount that beast onto my iPhone, the cabling solutions on the market are suboptimal and I really dont know how to stack this thing - at the moment the physical setup sucks, I will need to do a good amount of experimenting to get it right. Soundwise the Mojo is portable heaven indeed, it drives the Ethers with ease and maturity.

Nice impressions. Ether C and Mojo sounds like they are made to be together.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #4,209 of 4,813
  Nice impressions. Ether C and Mojo sounds like they are made to be together.

You could say so. I would have photographed them both together, but I was listening while making pictures with the source (iPhone) :). Another thing I forgot to mention: With the latest OSX El Capitan and Streaming (iTunes works fine) I do hear a lot of clicks and pops, this seem to happen with all DACs and DSD or streaming on El Capitan, so probably not Chord's fault. Streaming on Ubuntu Linux, as you would expect, works without any problems.

I should add, I think the Ether C can scale beyond the Mojo, but for a portable solution they are indeed a great fit. The Mojo is high-end audiophile gear - no question about it, it's a delicate sound.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,210 of 4,813
I still like my QP1R better than a Mojo but it is a close call. With the addition of the Liquid Spark game over. IMHO.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #4,211 of 4,813
  I still like my QP1R better than a Mojo but it is a close call. With the addition of the Liquid Spark game over. IMHO.

Yep. I actually even use my Mojo to feed the Liquid Gold! Awesome through the C's. 

Back to more of reality, the Mojo through the Liquid Carbon is very, very good, as is the Liquid Spark (got to play with a number of Alex's prototypes). 

Cheers 

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #4,212 of 4,813
  Yep. I actually even use my Mojo to feed the Liquid Gold! Awesome through the C's. 

Back to more of reality, the Mojo through the Liquid Carbon is very, very good, as is the Liquid Spark (got to play with a number of Alex's prototypes). 

Cheers 

The Mojo is really good but I would have loved to hear the Tungsten from my Yggdrasil. That is one great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back