MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jun 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #4,156 of 4,813
  Just got my Mojo... Wow I don't even know what to say this is the sound I've been after for so long... Hearing details in songs I've heard 50-100 times not even trying to hear them. Really warm and SO realistic in one song with drums it sounded like the drums were inside my head.
Never experienced anything like this. The smoothness of this combo is ridiculous also. No need for filters :)

Thought you'd be happy!
beerchug.gif
 Love this combo
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4,157 of 4,813

Thought you'd be happy!
beerchug.gif
 Love this combo
L3000.gif

I'm getting shivers.... The tonality of this combo is EXACTLY what I was looking for down to 1db I tried high shelving with EQ and indeed I like it EXACTLY where it is and not -/+1db which is absolutely insane since I'm extremely sensitive to highs!

The lowbass also went down in quantity which I love too since I don't like hearing/feeling 30hz on closed headphones since it makes me feel sick for some reason (It's now very right in quantity)
And the overall warmness of the sound is just so comfortable to listen to yet the details just pop out without any effort. I also felt the soundstage is now alive. The sounds are as if they are really happening inside of my head, I could really almost sense it. The sound is now warmer yet way more engaging and "alive" I guess that's what the term "musical" means.

Couldn't be happier with this combo! 
popcorn.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #4,158 of 4,813
Just ordered the Ether C and will be comparing them to my HE-560 and the updated (for 2016) LCD-X I received the other day. Will be interested to see how they sound on my desktop rig (Bifrost Multibit + Gustard H10) but I'm considering (depending on how I like the Ether C) replacing the desktop rig with a Chord Mojo + iPhone pairing after reading so many positive opinions here.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #4,160 of 4,813
I am comparing Ether C to my HD-800S. Bass is a few db weaker and less defined compared to the 800S. Mids are easier to listen and more voluminous compared to the 800S, but at the same time, its mid feels a bit more congested and definitely less airy. I guess it cannot be overcame as it is closed-back. Or will it be better as it breaks in further? Maybe I am demanding too much on closed-back..

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #4,161 of 4,813
 ^^^ What amp are you using?   The C  plays very agreeable at many levels, but to get the best out of them it is going to require the right amp.  After all the C's have impedance of 23 and efficiency of 96.  Those are stout numbers for cans.   But transducers that are difficult to drive are extremely rewarding when driven well.  They will scale and keep on scaling. 

Wish I could go further but my C's are only beginning burn in and, with my best amps clearly reveal they need  the time.  Though that is as it should be, the best amps are most reveling, so I view it as a good thing.    However, as in all burn ins there is the uncertainty, so time will be the final arbitrar. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #4,162 of 4,813
  I am comparing Ether C to my HD-800S. Bass is a few db weaker and less defined compared to the 800S. Mids are easier to listen and more voluminous compared to the 800S, but at the same time, its mid feels a bit more congested and definitely less airy. I guess it cannot be overcame as it is closed-back. Or will it be better as it breaks in further? Maybe I am demanding too much on closed-back..

I think you are trying to determine if a fuji is better than a gala is better than a granny smith (apples). They are all good, but you may want one over the other at different times. The one clear difference the Ether C has over most of the competition is it's a closed headphone, so it isolates. It competes very favorably to the HD800, the LCDs, and the other TOTL headphones,  but it has its own flavor, and it isolates. If you can afford it, keep 'em both. You find that sometimes you want what the HD800 can offer, and sometimes you want what the Ether C can offer. If you cannot keep them both, the consider that the Ether C sounds great, and can isolate. The HD800 cannot isolate.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #4,163 of 4,813
I think you are trying to determine if a fuji is better than a gala is better than a granny smith (apples). They are all good, but you may want one over the other at different times. The one clear difference the Ether C has over most of the competition is it's a closed headphone, so it isolates. It competes very favorably to the HD800, the LCDs, and the other TOTL headphones,  but it has its own flavor, and it isolates. If you can afford it, keep 'em both. You find that sometimes you want what the HD800 can offer, and sometimes you want what the Ether C can offer. If you cannot keep them both, the consider that the Ether C sounds great, and can isolate. The HD800 cannot isolate.

Very well said. Competing at the TOTL level as a closed HP is no small feat. Cheers

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #4,164 of 4,813
Very well said. I don't think you can compare a open dynamic to a closed planar and expect the same result from each. I heard the 800S a couple of weeks ago and thought they were very good. They were at a Sennheiser booth so only heard them from their amp it would've been nice to hear them out of another setup there though. Like what was said different apples. They really need the burn in time really.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #4,165 of 4,813
For me, it is easy to choose Ether C over LCD 3. When it comes to HD-800S vs Ether C, it becomes a difficult question. The ability to isolate is not a small benefit for me. Ether C sounds marvelous and I agree that it has its unique sound signature. But still, I can judge its overall sound quality, and I believe that it is still in a few steps behind compared to the 800S. I paid a little bit over $1600 including shipping for the C, and it is not a secret anymore that we can buy the 800S a little bit under $1400 including shipping. Given limited budget, it is a very hard decision to choose the one over the other. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #4,166 of 4,813
For me, it is easy to choose Ether C over LCD 3. When it comes to HD-800S vs Ether C, it becomes a difficult question. The ability to isolate is not a small benefit for me. Ether C sounds marvelous and I agree that it has its unique sound signature. But still, I can judge its overall sound quality, and I believe that it is still in a few steps behind compared to the 800S. I paid a little bit over $1600 including shipping for the C, and it is not a secret anymore that we can buy the 800S a little bit under $1400 including shipping. Given limited budget, it is a very hard decision to choose the one over the other. 
Well you on a Ether-C thread and most who own them prefer them but that doesn't mean you opinion doesn't matter. If you paid this kind of money for something you tend to defend it ; ) Everyone prefers a different sound signature and that is the way it is. I tend to like the more intimate sound of the C's. The 800S are great headphones don't get me wrong if I had the cash I would own a pair also but I don't so I prefer these. They're your ears make them happy for you.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4,167 of 4,813
Well you on a Ether-C thread and most who own them prefer them but that doesn't mean you opinion doesn't matter. If you paid this kind of money for something you tend to defend it ; ) Everyone prefers a different sound signature and that is the way it is. I tend to like the more intimate sound of the C's. The 800S are great headphones don't get me wrong if I had the cash I would own a pair also but I don't so I prefer these. They're your ears make them happy for you.

I agree that the C has more intimate vocal. Its vocal is very well defined. On the other hand, the C gives me feeling that I am listening at a very good studio, while the 800S at a wide live stage.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,168 of 4,813
 ^^^ What amp are you using?   The C  plays very agreeable at many levels, but to get the best out of them it is going to require the right amp.  After all the C's have impedance of 23 and efficiency of 96.  Those are stout numbers for cans.   But transducers that are difficult to drive are extremely rewarding when driven well.  They will scale and keep on scaling. 

Wish I could go further but my C's are only beginning burn in and, with my best amps clearly reveal they need  the time.  Though that is as it should be, the best amps are most reveling, so I view it as a good thing.    However, as in all burn ins there is the uncertainty, so time will be the final arbitrar. 

According to the box mine came in the ETHER C has an impedance of 22 Ohm and efficiency of 92 dB.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #4,169 of 4,813
  I agree that the C has more intimate vocal. Its vocal is very well defined. On the other hand, the C gives me feeling that I am listening at a very good studio, while the 800S at a wide live stage.

Agreed. That is what I hear. There are times when i break out my HE-400's and they make me happy so do what put's a smile on your face. That is what this hobby is about the love of music whichever way it comes.  

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #4,170 of 4,813
According to the box mine came in the ETHER C has an impedance of 22 Ohm and efficiency of 92 dB.

There is a video of Dan saying the efficiency has been improved from 93 to 96 and also using  23 ohm.  Not that it really matters, because point I was making was that the C's are demanding of an amp.   Your numbers actually are more demanding that those I relied on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back