MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 30, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #3,856 of 4,813

I second the recommendation. I was at The Source AV earlier today purchasing my pair ETHER C's. In fact, I ran into Stillhart there!
This was my first visit to The Source; Great shop, great people, lots of excellent gear to play with.

Hey man, it was great chatting with you today.  (BTW, @warrenpchi was there too.)  Don't forget to burn in those Ethers for a week or two!

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,858 of 4,813
  I'm right down the street from the Source AV and have never ventured in... sounds like I should give it a shot.

@TSAVJason who own the place is pretty chill.  He's not a salesman, he's an engineer, so he doesn't pressure you.  He just lets you listen and answers your questions and makes sure you aren't buying a setup that will blow itself up (like an amp that's too powerful for your speakers or whatever).

I'd suggest checking out one of the events they have there regularly if you need an excuse.  They had one last weekend featuring Astell & Kern products and they've had a few Questyle product launches there too.  I missed the one last weekend because I was out of town, but I'm going to try hard to be at the next one...maybe I'll see some of you guys there!

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3,859 of 4,813
@TSAVJason
 who own the place is pretty chill.  He's not a salesman, he's an engineer, so he doesn't pressure you.  He just lets you listen and answers your questions and makes sure you aren't buying a setup that will blow itself up (like an amp that's too powerful for your speakers or whatever).

I'd suggest checking out one of the events they have there regularly if you need an excuse.  They had one last weekend featuring Astell & Kern products and they've had a few Questyle product launches there too.  I missed the one last weekend because I was out of town, but I'm going to try hard to be at the next one...maybe I'll see some of you guys there!
Thanks Dan! We are planning a new schedule of events right now. It's all about HeadGear. Our first will be all about synergy between the different types of HeadGear. Check us out on Saturday May 14th when we'll be doing the first of these events. Our plan is a new event with a new topic every 2 weeks. Celebrity HeadGear reviewers, aficionados and manufacturers ... Good people, Good food and drinks and most important Good people. Join us!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3,861 of 4,813
(Sorry for keeping the off-topic going... But,) Jason, is there a mailing list to be kept up-to-date on this stuff?
We do have a mailing list and announce events and new products often. If you'd like to be on the list I'd suggest you PM me with your email, name, address and phone#. I'll forward that to my staff and you'll be included in the list. In fact, anyone can do this if they'd like to see what's up next and what's going on at The Source AV.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 1, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,863 of 4,813
Hi Guys,

Just want to ask bout the tuning pads, they are included in every purchase inside the box right?

I called in my local dealer and it seems like they have no idea bout it, they thought I was talking bout the foam upgrades to 1.1

I'm surprised the dealer is so poorly informed.

If you buy an Ether C now it should most definitely be 1.1 and will say so on the box. All Ether C's as far as

The tuning pads and 1.1 update drivers pads are different things.

The 1.1 update is a foam piece underneath the earpads and it sits on the driver.

The tuning pads is something you place on top of the nylon driver cover with the earpads on and they are placed snug and sit flush on the bottom.

There is a YouTube video that shows this.

It comes with documentation with a frequency response chart that shows you the various configurations you can try with the pads and how it affects the sound signature.

May 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,864 of 4,813
That being said I don't believe it comes with the tuning kit but it's only $10 and is absolutely worth it as it lets you customize them to your liking

May 1, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #3,865 of 4,813
That being said I don't believe it comes with the tuning kit but it's only $10 and is absolutely worth it as it lets you customize them to your liking

I purchased my Ether C 1.1 directly from Mr. Speakers and it came with the tuning kit in the box.

May 2, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #3,867 of 4,813
I emailed the shop a few days ago and with the links to innerfidelity ether c page and also dan's video to install the pads.
I asked them to check again and then they say that the tuning pads is included in the purchase.

btw do you guys thin it is worth it to buy a demo pair for $200 off?
I obviously will check the condition of the phone first, the only reason I'm considering buying the demo is that they probably have some burn in already.

although no one can actually know if they drop it accidentally a few times

May 2, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #3,868 of 4,813
  I emailed the shop a few days ago and with the links to innerfidelity ether c page and also dan's video to install the pads.
I asked them to check again and then they say that the tuning pads is included in the purchase.

I obviously will check the condition of the phone first, the only reason I'm considering buying the demo is that they probably have some burn in already.

Hell yeah, i'd buy a demo pair now if i didn't already have them and i'd also use the savings to get a DUM cable

May 2, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #3,869 of 4,813

I'll speak for myself on this one, ultimately it's up to you.

A Headphone well equipped that is closer to 2k than it is 1k, a mere 200 dollar discount for a demo/display that you don't know how it was handled even if it looks OK doesn't pay for me.

It would have to be more like 4, 500 off to make it worthwhile. Otherwise already playing at that price point I'd just purchase a new pair direct from Mr. Speakers or a good official dealer.

Also if it's not 1.1 I most definitely would not purchase that demo for 200 off.

I've bought my fair share of open box/display and demo gear but the price has to make it worthwhile. Although I buy factory new more often.

Good luck with your decision. I highly recommend the DUM cable with the Ether as well, as it was tuned and voiced on that cable during development.

Tubes too, the Ether's love being fed by tubes.

May 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,870 of 4,813
I'll speak for myself on this one, ultimately it's up to you.

A Headphone well equipped that is closer to 2k than it is 1k, a mere 200 dollar discount for a demo/display that you don't know how it was handled even if it looks OK doesn't pay for me.

It would have to be more like 4, 500 off to make it worthwhile. Otherwise already playing at that price point I'd just purchase a new pair direct from Mr. Speakers or a good official dealer.

Also if it's not 1.1 I most definitely would not purchase that demo for 200 off.

I've bought my fair share of open box/display and demo gear but the price has to make it worthwhile. Although I buy factory new more often.

Good luck with your decision. I highly recommend the DUM cable with the Ether as well, as it was tuned and voiced on that cable during development.

Tubes too, the Ether's love being fed by tubes.

They confirmed that all their stock is the 1.1 version with dum cable.

I actually plan to buy a liquid carbon not long after I buy a totl headphone which most likely be ether C, I'll be checking the amp for sale section regularly.

I've done some calculation actually buying from mr speakers is the best bet, however including duty/import fee and shipping it becomes more expensive, not to mention  wait time for the shipping period, custom clearance, and the simplicity of taking the headphones to the dealer if something goes wrong makes up for it, etc.

It is just that much easier to buy straight from the local dealer, my local dealer is very reputable actually, it's addictedtoaudio which happens to be official dealer listed in mr speakers website.
I'm in Melbourne Australia

all in all, if its the same price I prefer to buy straight from mr speakers with 3.5mm hp jack DUM cable for ease of use with mojo atm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back