MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 18, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #3,661 of 4,813
  Yeah I already got a decent upgraded rectifier on the wa6 already (sounds alot better than stock) and certainly the stock headphone out on the sony is more detailed than my wa6 as of right now.

Plus the stock rectifier on the wa6 is a joke, it would make anything sound bloated, slow and muddy, so I'm not surprised by your impressions. The wa6 is a great amp, but the stock tubes let it down by alot.

Yeah, when I upgraded the stock WA5 tubes it became a totally different amp so this makes sense.  I understand why Jack likes to demo with stock tubes to ensure people hear what they're getting if they order stock, but on the other hand I think it kind of undersells his wonderful products.  I had friends over to hear my WA5 who'd never liked it to the point of not wanting to give it another chance, but when they heard it with a great tube set they really loved it...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3,662 of 4,813
Got my set today. They already sound very pleasant - to me there's a lightness to the sound that makes it easy to listen to for extended periods. Combine that with the lightness of the weight and we're doing well so far. I'm not gonna comment on the sound too much yet because 1) my amp isn't up to snuff despite easily driving these on low gain at 3/8 volume, and 2) they're not burned in. Should be a fun ride though. If there's anyone in the north DC or Bethesda area with a nice amp that would like to meet up I'd love to hear how much these open up with something that cost more than two digits. :p

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #3,663 of 4,813
  Got my set today. They already sound very pleasant - to me there's a lightness to the sound that makes it easy to listen to for extended periods. Combine that with the lightness of the weight and we're doing well so far. I'm not gonna comment on the sound too much yet because 1) my amp isn't up to snuff despite easily driving these on low gain at 3/8 volume, and 2) they're not burned in. Should be a fun ride though. If there's anyone in the north DC or Bethesda area with a nice amp that would like to meet up I'd love to hear how much these open up with something that cost more than two digits. :p

I grew up in that area, but I am across the country now.  I think they have meets in Rockville/Gaithersburg occasionally?

EDIT - Yup, Capital Audio Fest in July.  http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,664 of 4,813

If you're temporarily on a budget while you're deciding on which end game amp to choose, Schiit Magni 2 is under $120 and you'll get a really good sound.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,666 of 4,813
  The last one I knew about was in Chantilly VA, but hoping one comes up to Bethesda soon :) Gonna play some Doom beta on Xbox 1 with them tonight.

The positional info will probably be off the chain, lol

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,667 of 4,813

Congrats! I got mine going on Saturday after having to sort out an adapter to 3.5mm. I am only running through my PC. I am about a week away from my Schiit M2 and Gung MB, so I sure am in for a treat. But I let them play for about 50 hours, and I already have noticed a bit of difference. When I get them plugged into something respectable, I should be in for a real treat. Have fun with your burn in. Tell me they're not the most comfortable cans in the world. They also seem totally unaffected by my glasses. Something I was worried about...

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,670 of 4,813
Mrspeakers, which tubes do you run in the wa7tp with the C's?

I ran the upgraded tubes from Woo, but once I got the 5 I sold the 7...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 19, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #3,671 of 4,813
Dan...this is the most I've enjoyed music in a very long time outside live performances. Only 10 hrs or so of burn in into it too. By the way my little Fiio e10k actually is doing a pretty sweet job. Bass boost does a decent job for those few tracks where I want a little thicker sound, but honestly so far I don't find the bass lacking for most music. Sometimes the vocals seem a hair receded without a subtle EQ, but that is only for songs where it's mixed like that combined with my other gear I think.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,672 of 4,813
I have the Cavalli Liquid Crimson here for the (now ended) Liquid Carbon upgrade tour. Let me just say that if anyone feels the ETHER C is lacking any bass then they need to try it on one of the bigger amps. Simply stunning. I wonder if Dan voiced the ETHER C with the bigger Cavalli amps...

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3,673 of 4,813
I feed a signal from the Bifrost to my Bottlehead Sex 2.1 amp. 2 w/c. Im deaf as a toad and run the gain  knob about 1/4 turn. The bass sounds great. Its not that boomy bass. Its tight and solid. Every once in a while there's some really deep bass in a track and I do go WOW!

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3,675 of 4,813

Users who are viewing this thread

Back