MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,391 of 4,813

I'm using Ether C with Questyle QP1R. Downsizing from my expensive full size audio systems to music played through QP1R + Ether C leaves few regrets, though cans and speakers are definitely different perspectives. I sometimes listen to the Chord Mojo at home through the Mac but prefer the sound of QP1R and say this having owned tube gear, as well as Harbeth Speakers - so have lived with the warm, glorious mids of that sound signature. The Ether C's are hardly the most mobile cans, but manageable enough and although the Ether C case looks like a big cow turd - it serves the purpose for protecting the headphones. The mobility of a DAP and having ones' entire library on easy to pocket microSD cards is bliss. Switching to IEM's greatly increases mobilty factor from backpack mobility (Ether C + QP1R) to pocket mobilty (IEM + QP1R). I've tried custom molded IEM's but can't tolerate things stuck in my ears for very long. For those who like IEM's, they've got the best of all mobility options.

Caveats with QP1R:

SQ is of utmost importance to me but other users will be turned-off with the QP1R for several reasons, to include: 1) loose feeling scroll wheel that is difficult to rotate (although Questyle is sending out a fix supposedly improving upon their first fix which were cheap stick-ons), 2) even with LATEST update (1.05) I'm using the UI is flawed. One example is when I have both microSD cards in both slots and navigate to "Play By Catagory", the UI only allows me to see files located in "TF Card 1" slot. User should be able see all files listed from card slot one AND two.  3) Streaming would be nice but I've heard nothing thus far if it's even doable with Questyle's DAP's? Questyle needs to address these issues ASAP or risk losing sales in the very competitive audio sector of audiophile DAP's. In a nutshell QP1R has first class amplification and Dac hampered by a less than average UI, and please Questyle, update the QP DAP fonts to ones easier to read.

*To Chord's credit the Mojo is a fully realized device with excellent sound and UI. No wonder it has swept forums with positive user reviews.  Chord has the resources the smaller companies like Questyle can only dream about, but again to Chord's credit, they released the Mojo as a completely realized device, not excellent in one area and mediocre in others. Questyle take notes.
ca

Though it's somewhat off topic in an Ether C thread, it would be very interesting to know, when used with the Ether C, what it was that you preferred about the QP1R v. the Mojo, i.e., a brief comparison of the QP1R v. Mojo when used with the Ether C.  Thanks.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,394 of 4,813
Though it's somewhat off topic in an Ether C thread, it would be very interesting to know, when used with the Ether C, what it was that you preferred about the QP1R v. the Mojo, i.e., a brief comparison of the QP1R v. Mojo when used with the Ether C.  Thanks.

I'm not very good at picking apart just why I prefer one Dac over another. For me I hear it and feel it. It's viseral. Having been in psych field I acknowledge placebo, bias, mood, environment determine more than some think about choices. Both Mojo Dac and Q DAP are glorious devices. You live in one of the centers of the material universe, yes? Shouldn't be hard to scare-up any and all for comparisons.

I'm pretty sure you're reacting to the current mode amplification in the QP1R over the discrete analogue output in the Mojo. The DACs are so far apart I'd be surprised if anyone chose the CS4398 over Chord's DAC. They're not even on the same planet in technical capability. That said, we like what we like and each person will have their preference with synergy with the ETHER C.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,396 of 4,813
Oy vay. Another mind reader.

:rolleyes:

Just keeping it practical. I've rarely heard a DAC described as visceral. I've heard many amps adding a visceral feeling and the QP1R certainly has that effect with many from what I've read. Just don't think the wires should be crossed when describing what does what.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #3,397 of 4,813
Now that I have my headphone system revitalized, I am getting settled in like my new electronics. Starting to just pull a few CDs out of my racks each night. Last night it was ladies : Sade, Nora jones , Diana Krall, Joni Mitchell. Taught me to take out my black pad and enjoy the female voice.
Tonight it was Dire Straits and Phil Collins. Phil needed a black pad, DS did not and was so great sound wise. Glad I have all their stuff.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,398 of 4,813
Hi All. Newbie on forum but have been lurking. Any thoughts about jumping on Liquid Carbon opportunity today or waiting for Liquid Spark to pair with Ether C?

Just ordered Ether C and they haven't arrived yet. Read the CanJam posts. I'm so new I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing. Have mojo and don't really know how to even hook up mojo, liquid carbon and Ether....! Using Mac and iPhone for source with Tidal. Moving up from Beyerdynamic DT1770.

Thank you for any thoughts. Looking to go broke happily with good music.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3,399 of 4,813
Hi All. Newbie on forum but have been lurking. Any thoughts about jumping on Liquid Carbon opportunity today or waiting for Liquid Spark to pair with Ether C?

Just ordered Ether C and they haven't arrived yet. Read the CanJam posts. I'm so new I'm pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing. Have mojo and don't really know how to even hook up mojo, liquid carbon and Ether....! Using Mac and iPhone for source with Tidal. Moving up from Beyerdynamic DT1770.

Both pair well with the Ether C.  Are you looking for something that you can run on battery power for portable use?  If so, the Spark is the way to go.  If you don't care about portable use, the Carbon is probably the better choice (on SQ alone).  The Spark is a bit cheaper than the Carbon, though.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #3,400 of 4,813

Waiting for unreleased tech is a no-win battle. There will always be something better coming along. Get something now and enjoy. If something better comes, sell and buy. Sure, you may lose a little money (sometimes, possible not with the LC), but you got to use something. 

Have the fun of this hobby is just trying new things. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,401 of 4,813
Thank you both!! Looking for SQ over portability... I had read so many posts about how Ethers pair with Cavalli that I didn't want to miss this production run.

Thank you both for all your write ups. It is helpful beyond belief when there aren't local places to actually go and try things out first hand.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,402 of 4,813

To hook up the Mojo to the Liquid Carbon or Spark just connect from the Mojo's headphone out to the 3.5mm input with a stereo interconnect cable as both amps have that input. It sounds great btw with the ETHER C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back