MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Feb 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,536 of 4,813
Got the 1.1 upgrade in this morning and have been listening on and off throughout the day.

I must point out that my Ether C does not have the 1.0 stock setup but my own tuning pad variation.  To my ears the stock double white felt mask some of the high end sparkle that I like.  I have my C set up with just one stock white felt and one black tuning pad.  After I put the ear cushion on, I put another black tuning pad in the cavity of the cushion.  So that's how I have my C since after burn in.

The 1.1 and my setup sonically sounds almost identical, with mine having sharper edge notes.  Imaging and placement seems to be similar but again my setup seems more focused while the 1.1 seems blurred or softer.  This is fine with me because to me it is a improvement over the 1.0.  The problem I have with the 1.1 is the center vocal also sounds softer and blurred.  Vocals also sounds a bit closer and higher in placement.  This is one of the reasons for me not liking the LCD-2, the smeared wide center vocal like the singers mouth is a 15 inches wide.  Because of this I went back to the one stock white felt and two black tuning pads separated by the ear cushion.  This might probably be just my funky ears and how I perceive sound but the wide vocals is a pet peeve of mine because I dislike effects processors and crossfades.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,537 of 4,813
^I'm hearing the soft definition on vocals myself. Not really an issue for me, as it gives the vocals a more fluid sound, but yes, it's not as definied and sharp as other headphones I have heard. It's definitely a preference thing.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,539 of 4,813
After removing one of the factory installed 1.0 white pads, upon inspection it seems to be the same material provided in the first tuning kit. It was my understanding that one white attenuates more than two black pads.

If I follow correctly, does a single black pad allow more sparkle through than the 1.1 foam, coupled with the additional black pad? Did you apply 1.1 without any additional tuning pads or substituted foam for single black and preserved the rest of the configuration you described?

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,542 of 4,813
  Got the 1.1 upgrade in this morning and have been listening on and off throughout the day.

I must point out that my Ether C does not have the 1.0 stock setup but my own tuning pad variation.  To my ears the stock double white felt mask some of the high end sparkle that I like.  I have my C set up with just one stock white felt and one black tuning pad.  After I put the ear cushion on, I put another black tuning pad in the cavity of the cushion.  So that's how I have my C since after burn in.

The 1.1 and my setup sonically sounds almost identical, with mine having sharper edge notes.  Imaging and placement seems to be similar but again my setup seems more focused while the 1.1 seems blurred or softer.  This is fine with me because to me it is a improvement over the 1.0.  The problem I have with the 1.1 is the center vocal also sounds softer and blurred.  Vocals also sounds a bit closer and higher in placement.  This is one of the reasons for me not liking the LCD-2, the smeared wide center vocal like the singers mouth is a 15 inches wide.  Because of this I went back to the one stock white felt and two black tuning pads separated by the ear cushion.  This might probably be just my funky ears and how I perceive sound but the wide vocals is a pet peeve of mine because I dislike effects processors and crossfades.

Interesting. I also was not immediately happy with the 1.1 upgrade, also finding it a bit "fuzzy". I own the original tuning kid but never played around with it, but I just spent some time doing so. In the end I ended up back on the 1.0 setup (two shaped white pads under each cup).

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,543 of 4,813
Interesting. I also was not immediately happy with the 1.1 upgrade, also finding it a bit "fuzzy". I own the original tuning kid but never played around with it, but I just spent some time doing so. In the end I ended up back on the 1.0 setup (two shaped white pads under each cup).

Yes "fuzzy" is what I hear in some songs with the 1.1.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,544 of 4,813

Thanks for letting me know.  I went back and checked and somehow we printed but didn't ship two 2 Day orders.  It's not sleepy cats!  The 2 orders will go out today, sorry about that!

Thanks for the reply Dan, but they are still showing in pre-shipment stage. Anyway you can double check for me? I can PM you the tracking # if you need

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #2,545 of 4,813

Thanks for the reply Dan, but they are still showing in pre-shipment stage. Anyway you can double check for me? I can PM you the tracking # if you need

For sure, PM me your order number.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 23, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,546 of 4,813
Thought I'd get some ear pad removal practice in before I get my 1.1 foam and tried your tuning sunneebear. It was definitely harder to get the pads back on than I suspected. Has anyone ever ripped a pad trying to stretch it on? Dan makes it look so easy, but he's probably done it thousands of times.

I definitely hear some more detail and top end, but it's just a little bright for me with the mojo with that tuning. I was using the 2 stock whites and 1 black pad before. The bass has opened up some since I got them so I could probably just use the two white stock pads now and be satisfied.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #2,547 of 4,813
Thought I'd get some ear pad removal practice in before I get my 1.1 foam and tried your tuning sunneebear. It was definitely harder to get the pads back on than I suspected. Has anyone ever ripped a pad trying to stretch it on? Dan makes it look so easy, but he's probably done it thousands of times.

I definitely hear some more detail and top end, but it's just a little bright for me with the mojo with that tuning. I was using the 2 stock whites and 1 black pad before. The bass has opened up some since I got them so I could probably just use the two white stock pads now and be satisfied.

I can see the Mojo being a little bright.  My friend has one and I would use the 1.0 configuration on the Mojo.

Dan just asked me about my sources and I forgot to let everyone know what I use.

Desk top: Matrix Mini-i DAC, Gustard H10 amp with all Burson op-amps
Computer: Ibasso D7 DAC, Krell KSA5 clone amp
Portable: Ibasso DX80 DAP

All of these amps are warmer than neutral.

I just spent some time yesterday with the Questyle DAP.  Running the same songs in two cards and switching the Ether C between the Qp1R and DX80, the DX80 is definetely warmer.  My two black pads for one white pad is tuned to my amps as far as treble goes.

P.S.  If anyone is interested about the DAPs.  The DX80 is warmer and plays louder without any strain but the Qp1R is cleaner, more neutral and has better micro detail.

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #2,548 of 4,813
I have the Ether C. I removed both white felts on the driver and placed one black tuning pad on each ear pad. This is the best combination for me. I retain excellent bass, mids, highs (not overly bright) and wide soundstage, but most importantly, vocals are pushed forward a bit. This feels more natural and sounds very pleasing to me. I would love to hear feedback if anyone is willing to try.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,549 of 4,813
It appears USPS lost all the update kits we shipped on the 19th, if you ordered via USPS on the 18th or 19th we're resending.  Apologies for the delay.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,550 of 4,813
From the impressions starting to coming in, am I correct in concluding that the 1.1 tuning is well suited to brighter gear?

I've got very neutral yet detailed gear, and am thinking the described "fuzziness" would be a step in the wrong direction...  but, alas, I guess all I can do is try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back