MrSpeakers Electrostatic Prototype Listening Impressions
Oct 4, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #932 of 937
Well, if you can build a regular amp you can build an electrostatic amp. Sure, you need to take precautions, but it's really not that big a deal. Just check everything carefully before you power up, keep one hand in your pocket when making adjustments, and power down between moving measurement probes.

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #933 of 937
Well, if you can build a regular amp you can build an electrostatic amp. Sure, you need to take precautions, but it's really not that big a deal. Just check everything carefully before you power up, keep one hand in your pocket when making adjustments, and power down between moving measurement probes.
I'll probably build something intermediate before trying a stat amp. I've done a Garage1217 kit and a CMoy from scratch (ordered all the parts from Mouser, used breadboard, etc). I'm thinking something like a WHAMMY or a Crack. Then shoot for a KGSSHV Carbon or something like that.

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #934 of 937
I'll probably build something intermediate before trying a stat amp. I've done a Garage1217 kit and a CMoy from scratch (ordered all the parts from Mouser, used breadboard, etc). I'm thinking something like a WHAMMY or a Crack. Then shoot for a KGSSHV Carbon or something like that.

Sure, or you could try modifying a Stax used Stax SRM-T1 with the constant current source mod, which is a lot simpler than building a Carbon from scratch, and a lot cheaper too.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #935 of 937
Sure, or you could try modifying a Stax used Stax SRM-T1 with the constant current source mod, which is a lot simpler than building a Carbon from scratch, and a lot cheaper too.
Thanks! I like simpler. You happen to have a link to a resource on that? Feel free to PM.

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #936 of 937
Anyone have any experience with the Mal Valve or AudioValve Luminaire?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #937 of 937
Thanks! I like simpler. You happen to have a link to a resource on that? Feel free to PM.

I wrote an article on the modification which was published in AudioXpress July, 2017. Also there is a discussion about building it in the Stax III thread starting Jan 24, 2018, approximately p. 923 of that thread. Kevin Gilmore designed a board for this - AFAIK he doesn't have any boards but he should be able to give you the information to get your own boards made, or it is simple enough to lay out on perfboard. Also, as the T1 is over 20 years old, all 10 electrolytic caps should be replaced. Total parts cost should be around $100. I recommend replacing the capacitors first and make sure the amp is working before doing the mod itself.

If you Google Stax SRM-T1 mods you can also find some info on other websites.

So modified, its circuit is similar to a KGST although it lacks the KGST's regulated power supply and more powerful output tubes. Spritzer, who had a modified T1 for sale on his website, describes the stock amp as sounding "a bit bland," and says that the "difference in performance is rather dramatic, the amp suddenly feels alive and something actually happens when you increase the volume."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back