Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Jul 21, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #317 of 404
Ok, those that have the Voce, if you don't have the latest earpads, you need to get them yesterday. :^). They are that good. Wonderful focus, body is even better than standard, extremely analog sounding with excellent hall retrieval (acoustical space) and just so very, very natural sounding. I am using them with the revamped RSA A-10 amp (just updated by Ray a little over a month ago). This setup reminds me of excellent headphones of any type. Smooth, detailed, dynamic and superbly done bass response. Sound field is larger, very good out of head presentation and they deliver on classical to rock.

And no, they are no HE90 but the HE90 are no Voce. Both equally enjoyable.

5 star GE 5687 tubes in the A-10 with 12AT7 Funkwerk foil getter (pre RFT) early 1950s.
thumbnail.jpeg

Attachments

• thumbnail-3.jpeg
    thumbnail-3.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail-4.jpeg
    thumbnail-4.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail-5.jpeg
    thumbnail-5.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail-6.jpeg
    thumbnail-6.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #318 of 404
Hallo,
Got the angled pads for my Voce today. But I am a little bit confused. When I put the thick part in the back as with most other headphones, I have the round part of the cutout for the ears in front. That doesn't Look ergonomic to me.
Does anybody know, which is the right position?
Thanks for your reply!

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #319 of 404
Hallo,
Got the angled pads for my Voce today. But I am a little bit confused. When I put the thick part in the back as with most other headphones, I have the round part of the cutout for the ears in front. That doesn't Look ergonomic to me.
Does anybody know, which is the right position?
Thanks for your reply!
I am not sure what you mean. Do you have an image? You would want the thicker part in the back, so the the Voce are angled correctly.

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #320 of 404
Thanks for your attention.
Maybe this foto helps:

Maybe the round side is just the result of bad sawing?
I ended now with the thick part in the back to get the best seal.

With the new pads I don't need EQ anymore. Used to pump the mids 2-3db. Focus is also much better too. My impressions a very close to yours. This pads are going to stay!

Don't know, why DC did send me another pair of round pads for free? Nevertheless thank you!

Attachments

• 20220816_154857.jpg
    20220816_154857.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #321 of 404
If I remove (cut out) the mesh on the original (internal-rounded) Voce earpads, will there be more resolution, transparency and dynamics?

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #322 of 404
Thanks for your attention.
Maybe this foto helps:

Maybe the round side is just the result of bad sawing?
I ended now with the thick part in the back to get the best seal.

With the new pads I don't need EQ anymore. Used to pump the mids 2-3db. Focus is also much better too. My impressions a very close to yours. This pads are going to stay!

Don't know, why DC did send me another pair of round pads for free? Nevertheless thank you!
Bad sewing? Doubtful. Never experienced a angled pad when the thick side was not at the back. If they sound that good not a mistake it would seem.

What do you drive them with?

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #323 of 404
Sep 10, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #324 of 404
Since owning the VOCE (over 2 years) it has spent more time on my head than any other headphone. If I go from the VOCE to SR-009; I think listen to all that detail and speed. It's a stark comparison. When listening to the SR-009 and I switch to the VOCE; it's like someone wrapped you in a warm blanket on a chilly night. It just feels goosebump good. I'm not sure the SR-009 is that much more detailed. The SR-009 brags about it's detail where the VOCE sound signature is one of pure pleasure. Both are some of the best headphones ever made and I feel fortunate to own both.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #325 of 404
Since owning the VOCE (over 2 years) it has spent more time on my head than any other headphone. If I go from the VOCE to SR-009; I think listen to all that detail and speed. It's a stark comparison. When listening to the SR-009 and I switch to the VOCE; it's like someone wrapped you in a warm blanket on a chilly night. It just feels goosebump good. I'm not sure the SR-009 is that much more detailed. The SR-009 brags about it's detail where the VOCE sound signature is one of pure pleasure. Both are some of the best headphones ever made and I feel fortunate to own both.
Are you using the new earpads? With them you get some more detail but not at the sacrifice of the music. It is just better, IMO.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #326 of 404
Are you using the new earpads? With them you get some more detail but not at the sacrifice of the music. It is just better, IMO.
I read your recommendation and checked Dan Clark website. Assuming you're referring to the "Ether 2 & VOCE angled ear pads". I am happy with the large opening stock pads for both sound quality and comfort. However, you have persuaded me to give them a try. It will be a while since recently purchasing a Woo Audio WES and last month purchasing IER & MDR-Z1R as well as Sony Walkman WMA1 M2. I promised no more headphone purchases for a while. Angled pads will be on the top of my list for future purchases. Thanks for recommendation.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #328 of 404
I have thought for a very long time - since my time with the ADS 810 and an AT 14 Shibata stylus in 1975 that hyper definition is a byproduct of sibilance and elevated FR. Grown over time with a user population groomed by amplified music and not the real thing - not to mention the hot side of digital - have yet to hear a Sabre chip that sounds like plain old music.

The Voce has the transients and clear timbre, and whatever might be missing is on the lacking side, not the additive. Additive causes fatigue over time.

Ever hear the term boom-tinkle? A phrase from the 80's to describe the worst of the West Coast builders - like many mid priced infinity speakers. Except the Stax don't boom, they just tinkle. I listen to pieces recorded by/in the BSO, and i've heard them later live by the same performers and the Stax are additive. They don't ring as much as lots of planars do, but there is some sort of overshoot. Tubes might mute that a bit, or maybe an analog chip. By most measures they are great - but the critic in me keeps hearing what they add.

Your ears don't lie - not one bit.

I'm going to try out the new Raal 1C, to see if it can be as good as the Voce. If not, then more skrimping to afford a suitable amp - it's been 4 years since I first heard the Voce, and then 2 more times. It is as of now the best I've heard.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #329 of 404
Are there changes in construction or silent revisions of Voce since MrSpeakers -> Dan Clark Audio transition? Or all headphone pairs are supposed to be the same? (are there some advantages of the new models except earpads)

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #330 of 404
Is this the official Voce thread?

I am a newfound DCA Fan with the Expanse and thought, looking into the other offerings is worth a try here.

How does the Voce compare to the Audeze CRBN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back