Mr Speakers Voce Electrostatic headphone thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #241 of 404
Curious how do you compare the Susvara and Raal to the TC and th900? The th900 and Susvara have been on my short list. I had a Fostex th00x and thought it was a very fun headphone for EDM. Wonder how the th900 compares. Have never had the chance to listen to a Susvara. However I wasn't totally in love with the HE1k or HE6se. A little to bright I guess for my taste. Like the Edition X however.
Thanks for your description of the VOCE and BHSE.

The th900mk2 actually is the only pair of headphones I've listened to that have comparable bass to the TCs. The bass is really that good, and you can drive it off of a DragonFly (which is pretty crazy).

My 2nd favorite headphones are the Susvaras (behind the TCs). That wasn't the case until I got the WA33 EE JPS though. With the standard WA33, I felt the Susvaras were missing something. I don't know if it's because of the Elite components or the JPS wiring, but whatever it is, it is very good.

From your description, I think your VOCE has a similiar sound signature as the Raal SR1as. They are super fast, very detailed, but low on bass. If all I had were the SR1as, it wouldn't suit my needs; they are definitely a 2nd or 3rd pair of headphones to have and not the sole pair.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #242 of 404
Agreed on the SR1A. The Voce has more bass and it goes deeper. Not TC bass but more balanced than the Raal.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #243 of 404
Thanks for your description of the VOCE and BHSE.

The th900mk2 actually is the only pair of headphones I've listened to that have comparable bass to the TCs. The bass is really that good, and you can drive it off of a DragonFly (which is pretty crazy).

My 2nd favorite headphones are the Susvaras (behind the TCs). That wasn't the case until I got the WA33 EE JPS though. With the standard WA33, I felt the Susvaras were missing something. I don't know if it's because of the Elite components or the JPS wiring, but whatever it is, it is very good.

From your description, I think your VOCE has a similiar sound signature as the Raal SR1as. They are super fast, very detailed, but low on bass. If all I had were the SR1as, it wouldn't suit my needs; they are definitely a 2nd or 3rd pair of headphones to have and not the sole pair.

It doesn't sound like the RAAL, it has way more bass. Totally different experience. I had a RAAL in the office briefly, a friend loaned it to me...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #244 of 404
The RAAL has very fast and detailed bass, it just doesn't go as deep as something like the TC or LCD-4. Depending on the type of music you listen to and personal preference it may have all the bass you need. For me, at times I need something more. Thus the TC. I have been putting a lot of time in with my Voce and BHSE recently. Excellent bass, just different from the TC and RAAL.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #245 of 404
Just bought a Voce and still deciding between a KGSSHV Carbon and BHSE.

For those of you lucky enough to hear the Voce on both the KGSSHV Carbon and the BHSE, which did you prefer?
Which one offered better stage, which one had a better overall tonality. Does one sacrifice mids detail?

Thanks

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #246 of 404

For those of you lucky enough to hear the Voce on both the KGSSHV Carbon and the BHSE, which did you prefer?
Which one offered better stage, which one had a better overall tonality. Does one sacrifice mids detail?

Thanks

I've not had the pleasure of hearing the Carbon. The BHSE can be changed tonally by rolling tubes, the stock Mullards are warm, I prefer the more spacious NOS Seimens EL34 which give a more detailed and dynamic sounding delivery to my ear, but there are a lot of other tube choices too...

Would love to hear comparison feedback from people who own the Carbon myself... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #247 of 404
I do have to say I truly enjoy the Linear Tube Audio Z10e, it has tons of voltage swing, great dynamics and clarity, it drives my speakers and planar headphones, too. It's the first all-in-one amp I've heard that I truly liked. That it's an OTL design and can pull all this off is pretty cool.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #248 of 404

Thanks

This comment is a late response to your post but offered as my opinion if it helps. I have not heard the Voce on a Carbon but I have heard the Stax SR-007 and 009 on Carbon and KGSShv, BHSE and others.

The Carbons I built had all the Golden reference power supplies. (super quiet, stable images, solid bass). These amplifiers were fast, clean and detailed, with power maintained well at both ends of spectrum. This suits the 007 and Voce demands very well. IMO it did not suit the 009 so well as the fierce higher freqs of the 009 are not mitigated.

The BHSE is sweeter and pairs well with the 009.

(I do mean the 009, not 009S as I have only listened to it for an hour or so. The 009S does calm down the original.)

My conclusion would be that a good Carbon as I described is on a par with the BHSE and many listeners might prefer it with a Voce depending on the type of music chosen. My own listening is with my build of KG Blue Hawaii (and LTA Z10e) as ultimately I preferred KG amps with tubed output stages.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #249 of 404
This comment is a late response to your post but offered as my opinion if it helps. I have not heard the Voce on a Carbon but I have heard the Stax SR-007 and 009 on Carbon and KGSShv, BHSE and others.

The Carbons I built had all the Golden reference power supplies. (super quiet, stable images, solid bass). These amplifiers were fast, clean and detailed, with power maintained well at both ends of spectrum. This suits the 007 and Voce demands very well. IMO it did not suit the 009 so well as the fierce higher freqs of the 009 are not mitigated.

(I do mean the 009, not 009S as I have only listened to it for an hour or so. The 009S does calm down the original.)

My conclusion would be that a good Carbon as I described is on a par with the BHSE and many listeners might prefer it with a Voce depending on the type of music chosen. My own listening is with my build of KG Blue Hawaii (and LTA Z10e) as ultimately I preferred KG amps with tubed output stages.

Thank you for your input.
You are one of the lucky few!
Does one seem to stage better than the other? (Carbon vs Blue Hawaii)
Large accurate (3D) stage is a priority for me.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #250 of 404

The Voce sounds great on your KGSSHV Carbon hah.. but i prefer the T2 over the Carbon now.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #251 of 404
Does one seem to stage better than the other? (Carbon vs Blue Hawaii)
Large accurate (3D) stage is a priority for me.

All I can say is I would place them along with the even rarer KG Grounded Grid as very fine amplifiers, for me they would be very similar in sound stage but I don't obsess over that aspect to the nth degree.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #252 of 404
I found the soundstage on the BHSE expanded a bit with the Seimens NOS EL34. A bit less warm, too, which suits VOCE nicely. If anyone needs a tube source for the real Seimens tube, Roger Modjeski's RAM labs is a great source.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #253 of 404
for people who find it a bit too much to buy BHSE or carbon amps, would a stax 007TII amp or an ifi ican pro with ifi iesl get a great sound of the voce, and which is preferred between those 2 setups ( stax 007tii amp or ifi combo ), and how much you think the scale up is between using one of the mentioned set ups compared to a BHSE

the reason I am asking is because I am already using stax 007 tii amp with my 007 mk2, and i have an ican pro already so i might justify buying the iesl if that is better
I am using a Cayin CS 55A (EL34) with an iFi IESL but I do not have the Voce yet.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #254 of 404
Yes I know they weren't what you meant. I did find the Ram Labs you were referencing eventually, but I already bought a $379 quad from NOS EL34 (Blue Grade) Mesaboogie tubes before I did. I can't see much difference between the Ram Labs NOS Siemans EL34 and the NOS 450 Siemans that Mesa-boogie is selling, but by all means correct me! Here's the link: http://mesaboogie.com/tubes/power-tubes/NOS-EL-34-STR-450-siemens.html

They look identical!
I wonder if the Mesa boogie EL34 tubes will also add a brilliant flavour on a Cayin CS55A tube amp

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #255 of 404
I do have to say I truly enjoy the Linear Tube Audio Z10e, it has tons of voltage swing, great dynamics and clarity, it drives my speakers and planar headphones, too. It's the first all-in-one amp I've heard that I truly liked. That it's an OTL design and can pull all this off is pretty cool.
You are probably not going to want to answer this, but between the Z10e and BHSE, which one do you like more? The Z10e is very appealing in that it can also drive normal headphones. But, at the same time, people love the BHSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back