Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs. V-Moda M100
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

abrod97

New Head-Fier
Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs. V-Moda M100

So I haven't seen these two compared before, they both seem to be $300. Has anyone owned or heard them both?
1st, in your experience, which do you prefer?
2nd, according to my info which do you think I would be more satisfied with?

1. I listen to mostly all types of rock and metal
  2. I have a Fiio E07K (Andes) 
  3. I love bass, but if the audio on the other is just overall clearer I would take that one

That's about it, I look forward to your responses!

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
The M100 are rubbish in that price point. They sound like £100 phones with a good design and heavy bass. The Maddogs are being compared to phones like the D5000 the M100 get absolutly trashed by the D2000/D5000 there's no comparison.

you dont even own the m100
from all the reviews out there, i doubt they are "basically a cleaner set of beats"

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 14
The M100 certainly has more bass quantity, but aside from V-Moda fanboys, folks will tell you that the bass is more bloated and muddy than it is tight and controlled. That being said, even if you dialed back the M-100 bass a good deal, it would still have more than the Mad Dogs, from what I've heard. I'd also say that the M-100 are not worth it at the $300 price point, not even a little bit. So much sound was sacrificed and lost going from the M-80 to the M-100, and all that was gained was some rather horrid bass and, admittedly, a whole lot of comfort.

By all accounts the Mad Dogs are cleaner, more neutral sounding,with better treble and mids and soundstage, but I haven't actually heard the Mad Dogs myself. The Mad Dogs will need amping.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
The above is £100 correct. V Moda have been very over hyped since the LPs it always seemed like they where just a beats ulternative at a lower price. The V moda if you can put up with the muddy sound are fun headphones but they are not quality headphones. The M100 had the most hype becayse the m0 where better than the lp and lp2 so there where high expectations from them. Having compared them with headphones like the D2000 DT770 they just do not stack up against mid fi phones imo. I have also compared them to the beats pro and preferd the beats pro to them but V-Moda really do make a beautiful product. the cables and box and build quality of the phone is top notch.

Hmm you reminded me,  I found some beats pros for $150 and I was thinking of picking them up just to see how they are then probably sell them, would you say the beats pros at $150 are a better value than the mad dogs (yes they're beats, but they seem to be the most tolerable beats among the community, and especially at $150)? I still do want to order those mad dogs sometime too though.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Hmm you reminded me,  I found some beats pros for $150 and I was thinking of picking them up just to see how they are then probably sell them, would you say the beats pros at $150 are a better value than the mad dogs (yes they're beats, but they seem to be the most tolerable beats among the community, and especially at $150)? I still do want to order those mad dogs sometime too though.

While I am a huge critic of the M-100, I must say that TheReem seems to be off here. I don't think anyone else would agree that the Beats are actually better than the M-100. I'd rather pay $300 for the M-100 than $150 for the Beats and I think the majority would feel the same way. The Mad Dogs are also in an entirely different league (several times above) the Beats, though again, in pure bass quantity, this is not the case. The Mad Dogs are simply not a bass heavy can.

You can get great bass for $150 and still be world's apart from the Beats though. Someone else can better advise you but please do not leave this forum and go and buy a pair of Beats. You will be extremely disappointed and you'll make us cry.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 14
I get electronics of of craigslist and sell them on ebay, I'll probably still get them and sell them to make a few bucks, those are really easy to sell. I will check out the sound though, I'm curious. Ill listen to them as long as the listing lasts.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 14
the M100 is competing in the comsumer market, the Mad Dogs are competing in the audiophile market. so the feedback would definitely be different for the both of them

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 14
the M100 is competing in the comsumer market, the Mad Dogs are competing in the audiophile market. so the feedback would definitely be different for the both of them

This is actually quite a salient point. I agree.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 14
I have the MD's and the e07k. It's quite a better hp across the entire spectrum even with the e07, but with a high end amp it's off the charts good. MD + lyr is the best closed set I have ever heard and one of the best setups that I've heard period. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 14
I have the M-100s and they may be a bit bass bloated, but the sound is a fun sound, instead of ripping your audio to shreds. The E17 helps the M100 a lot, but I wouldn't call the M100s muddy/

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 14
  You will be extremely disappointed and you'll make us cry.

You don't wanna make him cry man!

Basically, if you need portability, the Mad Dogs will not work. They are simply too bulky to seriously consider wearing around your neck or on your head as you walk around.

If you want a "fun" bass-emphasized v-shaped sound signature for portable, then the M100s will work. They are decently stylish as well. The M100s are not a serious 'audiophile' pair of headphones as they are not neutral, but there are a lot of headphones that are non-neutral that people here enjoy. You will probably need to get the XL pads as well though, because the stock earpads are extremely shallow & grow uncomfortable very quickly.

If you want to explore a more neutral sound signature that you often hear people here raving about & are not planning to use these headphones on-the-go, consider the Mad Dogs as an entry level pair of headphones into the world of 'high-fidelity neutral sound reproduction.'

There is really nothing intrinsically better about a neutral sound signature over a bass-emphasized sound signature. It really just depends what sounds good to you. A neutral headphone will be more accurate in reproducing all the subtle details across the frequency response without any specific region of the frequency response emphasized. You will come across people here who decry and hate on anything that is not neutral, but honestly, bass-boost is fun & can be very enjoyable to listen too! :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 14

You will be extremely disappointed and you'll make us cry.

You don't wanna make him cry man!

Basically, if you need portability, the Mad Dogs will not work. They are simply too bulky to seriously consider wearing around your neck or on your head as you walk around.

If you want a "fun" bass-emphasized v-shaped sound signature for portable, then the M100s will work. They are decently stylish as well. The M100s are not a serious 'audiophile' pair of headphones as they are not neutral, but there are a lot of headphones that are non-neutral that people here enjoy. You will probably need to get the XL pads as well though, because the stock earpads are extremely shallow & grow uncomfortable very quickly.

If you want to explore a more neutral sound signature that you often hear people here raving about & are not planning to use these headphones on-the-go, consider the Mad Dogs as an entry level pair of headphones into the world of 'high-fidelity neutral sound reproduction.'

There is really nothing intrinsically better about a neutral sound signature over a bass-emphasized sound signature. It really just depends what sounds good to you. A neutral headphone will be more accurate in reproducing all the subtle details across the frequency response without any specific region of the frequency response emphasized. You will come across people here who decry and hate on anything that is not neutral, but honestly, bass-boost is fun & can be very enjoyable to listen too! :)

The XS are better than the M100... If only they made an over ear XS, which I heard from CanJam that something like it is being worked on. Can't wait.
I hate being locked into one company, but the best companies are the ones not well known - they need to get into the limelight, so they don't cut corners with sound. Take my Audiofly AF180s for example :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back