Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs cable microphonics
Aug 17, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 31
trying to get custom cables made for the AD's however getting the connectors locally is proving difficult does anyone know if std 3 min male mini XLR will work with the AD at the cup end 
if not does any one have a part number for that type of connector as if I order it from Mr Speaker the shipping is more than the parts

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 31
Probably best to ask on the AD thread because many owners read it. Best luck!

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 31
  So I'm guessing no one makes custom cables for ADs?

Lots of people do, you can find them using Google.  My problem is even with a custom cable the microphonics are still present, so it's likely something to do with the design of the planer drivers instead of cable shielding.

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #20 of 31
Lots of people do, you can find them using Google.  My problem is even with a custom cable the microphonics are still present, so it's likely something to do with the design of the planer drivers instead of cable shielding.

Thanks for your keen observations on the alpha dogs and microphonics caused by the design of the AD'S planar magnetic drivers. I was going to get some expensive custom cables to help lessen the microphonics I hear. I think I will put the money towards the Ragnarok amp. Also I really like how the gold lions in my lyr2 really make my dogs sing. Thanks for the heads up on those amazing tubes.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 31
Stock Mr.Speakers cable and Q-Audio French Silk custom cable.  Both exhibit bad microphonics.  There is no electrical noise in my system, by the way.  All the noise I hear is being caused by mechanical movement of the headphone cable rubbing on my clothing.  So far the most effective solution has been to clip the cable at the split to my shirt, or to sit like my head is in a vice and not move it.  Very annoying.  None of my other headphones or IEMs have been this bad so it must be a byproduct of the Alpha Dog design.  If they didn't sound so darn amazing otherwise I would be replacing them..

Did you find that the French Silk cable improved the Alpha Dog in any way?

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #22 of 31
Did you find that the French Silk cable improved the Alpha Dog in any way?

The cable is much lighter, plus being red is matched to the claret color of the Alpha Dogs nicely.  :)

Sep 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 31
The cable is much lighter, plus being red is matched to the claret color of the Alpha Dogs nicely.  :)

Hmm. I'm suspicious. Aren't you supposed to say that it improved clarity, dynamic range, bass body and expanded the soundstage by 85%? Isn't that how it usually goes on Head-Fi? :)

Ha! Yes sorry all my veils were lifted and much air became PRAT. Or similar nonsense. :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #26 of 31
I don't find the microphonics to be too bad if I'm sitting still but the AD cable is on the heavy side. I haven't heard the Vibro but I did consider them. I went with the Alpha Dog because of the superior build quality but mainly because I'm not a huge fan of overly warm headphones. I've no doubt the Vibro would be an excellent choice for a lot of people though. Depends ultimately on the kind of sound you're after.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 31
Every cable I have with this sort of sheathing has remarkable microphonics,
which is to be expected since it's the opposite of smooth,
and each fiber creates noise when it touches anything.

Woven sheathing:
Improved durability
Resists tangles & kinks
Looks really cool
Transmits vibration into ear cups like Marley's Ghost

Heck, I've got USB cables that do it
(but you have to stick the end in your ear,
which makes people doubt your sanity).

If physical cord noise is an issue,
the *first* thing I do is get a smooth cable.

Does Mr Speaker offer a smooth cable option when ordering?

-G

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 31
  Every cable I have with this sort of sheathing has remarkable microphonics,
which is to be expected since it's the opposite of smooth,
and each fiber creates noise when it touches anything.

Woven sheathing:
Improved durability
Resists tangles & kinks
Looks really cool
Transmits vibration into ear cups like Marley's Ghost

Heck, I've got USB cables that do it
(but you have to stick the end in your ear,
which makes people doubt your sanity).

If physical cord noise is an issue,
the *first* thing I do is get a smooth cable.

Does Mr Speaker offer a smooth cable option when ordering?

-G

The stock MrSpeakers cable is smooth (Canare cable it looks like to me.)  The microphonics are present and pronounced.  I deal with it because the Alpha Dog (and now the Alpha Prime) sound so darn good otherwise that I simply don't want to listen to any other headphone.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #30 of 31
Hrm... do the Alpha pads help at-all?

My headphone collection is cluttered with closed-back cans that have this problem
(SOL, Senn, Lafayette, LSTN).
I enjoy my Grado 325s and Koss ESPs quite a lot,
but sometimes really want bass like only closed can deliver.

Is cable noise just a thing I have to get OK with?

Rrrr...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back