MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology
Jan 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #676 of 1,869
I bought an Meridian Explorer 2 to evaluate the impressive specs of MQA -- high definition audio packed into a 44.1 24-bit stream, DAC correction and analog-to-digital studio correction. The high definition claims are definitely true.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #677 of 1,869
I bought an Meridian Explorer 2 to evaluate the impressive specs of MQA -- high definition audio packed into a 44.1 24-bit stream, DAC correction and analog-to-digital studio correction. The high definition claims are definitely true.

Which claims? And in what way are the claims definitely true?

See, this is Sound Science.  You just keep saying stuff without data.  There are other parts of the site for opinion sharing.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #678 of 1,869

See, this is Sound Science.  You just keep saying stuff without data.  There are other parts of the site for opinion sharing.

You don't say the same thing when someone says they don't think they can hear a difference. Again just an opinion without statistically backed up DBT.

I keep seeing stuff like "I've just come up with a pretty neat trick to debunk the whole MQA story on Tidal". This just sounds like people here are out to kill the format without giving it a chance.

I feel a bias in this thread, and this corner of the forum in general.

Let's have balance please?

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #679 of 1,869
You don't say the same thing when someone says they don't think they can hear a difference. Again just an opinion without statistically backed up DBT.

I keep seeing stuff like "I've just come up with a pretty neat trick to debunk the whole MQA story on Tidal". This just sounds like people here are out to kill the format without giving it a chance.

Agreed 100%. Also, there is a lot of misinformation floating around about MQA. If people really wanna learn what it is, they should spend some time reading this:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #680 of 1,869

I'll repeat the question, since went down a divergent path that is not what this thread is about:

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #681 of 1,869
Jan 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #683 of 1,869

Some people saying MQA is lossy and has DRM.

Lossy gets complicated because it depends if you're talking about lossy relative to Redbook or lossy vs the original high resolution file.

Is MQA lossy relative to Redbook?  No.

Is MQA lossy relative to a 24bit/96khz file?

Yes.  It throws away information and attempts to create new, substitute information using the origami algorithm.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be able to offer a smaller file size.

Does it have DRM?  Not in the traditional sense, not  yet.  But it is watermarked.

But, really, the technical details really shouldn't matter to end users (although DRM does).

I would have no technical problem with MQA's complex process if:

1. It actually solved a problem for me.  Which it doesn't, for me.

2. Sounds waaaay better than lossless Redbook.  Which it doesn't, for me.

Some MQA samples I've heard sound like good, well-mastered Redbook.  Others sounded average

It was in no way an earth-shattering OMG moment.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #684 of 1,869

This is the debating equivalent of walking out of your bunker in the middle of a gunfight and shouting "oh for Christ's sake stop fighting me and surrender already!"

Next you'll say that Newton was biased in his thesis that objects would only fall down when dropped and not up :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 14, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #685 of 1,869
@GuyUnder

MQA isn't going to succeed or fail based on a debate amongst a few dozen people in this particular corner of the internet.

If you think MQA is the best thing ever, have fun, enjoy.  Leave this crowd of skeptics in your rear view mirror and go enjoy music.

No need to try to convince the hard-noses here or evangelize on behalf of MQA.

Forces much bigger than this thread will determine MQA's fate.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #686 of 1,869

How would anyone objectively demonstrate that a difference could not be heard?  Those claims cannot be definitively proven, and no rational person should expect anyone to provide any proof.  Now, if there is a difference to be heard, THAT can be demonstrated.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #687 of 1,869
@GuyUnder

MQA isn't going to succeed or fail based on a debate amongst a few dozen people in this particular corner of the internet.

If you think MQA is the best thing ever, have fun, enjoy.  Leave this crowd of skeptics in your rear view mirror and go enjoy music.

No need to try to convince the hard-noses here or evangelize on behalf of MQA.

Forces much bigger than this thread will determine MQA's fate.

Where the fun in that?

I'm just pointing out that the debating is not even handed or scientific. It is often opinion, and as you said should take place elsewhere.

Also :p

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #688 of 1,869
This is the debating equivalent of walking out of your bunker in the middle of a gunfight and shouting "oh for Christ's sake stop fighting me and surrender already!"

Next you'll say that Newton was biased in his thesis that objects would only fall down when dropped and not up :p

No, it's taking the higher ground. I'm hiding a flame thrower and bazooker behind my back.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #689 of 1,869
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 14, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #690 of 1,869
Where the fun in that?

I'm just pointing out that the debating is not even handed or scientific. It is often opinion, and as you said should take place elsewhere.

Also
tongue.gif

So a troll, then.

Well, at least we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back