MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #271 of 1,869
 are you really interested? ....

If I was not interested in learning stuff and finding out others opinions why would I bother reading anything on this forum? Note I am not interested in saying how clever and knowledgeable I am, (quite the opposite in fact), and I don't brag about equipment I have. I am fully aware that you need caution when considering others opinions but I am not so jaundiced and full of cynicism as to feel everyone else's opinion is not valid for a multitude of possible reasons. Call me naive by all means but I like to think there are some out there who are honest enough to know they are not always right and try to express balanced opinions, (how successful they are - well that's another matter and of course I include myself in that).
Please note that I am not accusing you or anyone else of anything and there is no intent to upset or offend anyone.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #272 of 1,869

are you really interested? ....

If I was not interested in learning stuff and finding out others opinions why would I bother reading anything on this forum? Note I am not interested in saying how clever and knowledgeable I am, (quite the opposite in fact), and I don't brag about equipment I have. I am fully aware that you need caution when considering others opinions but I am not so jaundiced and full of cynicism as to feel everyone else's opinion is not valid for a multitude of possible reasons. Call me naive by all means but I like to think there are some out there who are honest enough to know they are not always right and try to express balanced opinions, (how successful they are - well that's another matter and of course I include myself in that).
Please note that I am not accusing you or anyone else of anything and there is no intent to upset or offend anyone.

wink_face.gif
no worries friend, just say what you think. you offended nobody. after all I'm the one who came with my dark vision on feedbacks. ^_^
my point, and it's certainly no more than my opinion, was that while you can find plenty of genuinely honest people(with more or less success in attempting to tell the truth, usually less), I do not believe in such a situation, that numbers improve our capacity to get some perspective about a product. unlike usual statistics, the widely shared opinion in the end has no guaranty to be linked to what really is happening(for the reasons I gave previously).
so IMO it's better to just make your opinion by yourself, right or wrong, at least it's yours.
or to try and find feedbacks from a very limited number of people you have learned to trust from past feedbacks and evidence that they did test the matter at hand using a satisfactory method. and then indeed there is a point in wasting hours on forums like we all here do. ^_^ just so that we can put our hands on those few brave people we will trust a little bit more than the rest.

surely my vision is mostly cynicism, but past experiences lead me there.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #273 of 1,869
Hey castleofargh, we all have to learn by our experiences the best we can. A good mantra regarding others opinions which I think fits quite well with what you say is "Learn by others mistakes but make your own"

Happy listening
k701smile.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #274 of 1,869
I own the Onkyo DP1X DAP. Today they enabled MQA. I downloaded some free files and am now hooked. I live in the US, and really would like to purchase some MQA recordings. Where to I go online to purchase? Thx.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #275 of 1,869
  I own the Onkyo DP1X DAP. Today they enabled MQA. I downloaded some free files and am now hooked. I live in the US, and really would like to purchase some MQA recordings. Where to I go online to purchase? Thx.

MQA downloads available at Onkyo Store at $24 each:   https://www.onkyomusic.com

Look under "Recommended" tab for MQA downloads.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #277 of 1,869
  Thank you so much. Did it and bought two albums. Also found that 2L site also is avaialbe to those of us who live in the US. MQA is a game changer.

how is that? MQA doesn't offer anything superior to basic PCM. the only possible interest is for streaming music online because the resolution may adapt to the bandwidth.  they just put the same chocolates in another box. the taste shouldn't be different if it's done as advertised.

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #278 of 1,869

how is that? MQA doesn't offer anything superior to basic PCM. the only possible interest is for streaming music online because the resolution may adapt to the bandwidth.  they just put the same chocolates in another box. the taste shouldn't be different if it's done as advertised.

The streaming version is technically a lossy version, so FLAC/ALAC should be equal or superior to any MQA stream.  It seems like an overly complicated method of EQing from everything I've read about it, so it may sound different. It does not seem like anything special that could not be recreated using PCM, but PCM does not include proprietary licensing costs to use.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #280 of 1,869
Nailed it - at its core all MQA is yet another form of equalization.

Lots of clarification needed on misunderstanding and myth... See Bob's response...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #281 of 1,869
Lots of clarification needed on misunderstanding and myth... See Bob's response...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

A link to Computer Audiophile in the Sound Science section?!?!? Please give us a break.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #282 of 1,869
"A link to Computer Audiophile in the the Sound Science section ?!?!? Please give us a break."

Have you read it? It seems that those who have, (including ardent doubters), are agreed it is a very impressive article which deals with many misconceptions about what MQA is or is not.

Those who are genuinely interested in music quality rather than simply espousing preconceptions will find it interesting but be warned it is a lengthy read and much of it is beyond the average persons understanding of music recording and transmission.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #283 of 1,869
"A link to Computer Audiophile in the the Sound Science section ?!?!? Please give us a break."

Have you read it? It seems that those who have, (including ardent doubters), are agreed it is a very impressive article which deals with many misconceptions about what MQA is or is not.

Those who are genuinely interested in music quality rather than simply espousing preconceptions will find it interesting but be warned it is a lengthy read and much of it is beyond the average persons understanding of music recording and transmission.

An article with this image in it:

isn't to be taken seriously. Streaming quality same as cassette? LP same quality as DVD-A? I must have taken my crazy pills this morning.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #284 of 1,869

I repeat using anything taken from the Computer Audiophile as a reliable source of technical information is, at best, a fool's errand and will just leave one knowing less than before one started.

And reading the article only reinforces the opinions of those who say that at its core MQA is just a fancy equalizer. All the rest is just window dressing. MQA = equalizer is all one needs to know about MQA.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #285 of 1,869
You don't confirm that you have actually read the article and make such a sweeping generalised statement about the articles reliability that some might question the reliability of your comments.

I would repeat that the article is most certainly worth reading if one wishes to gain some insight about the thinking behind MQA. I however make no claims about the veracity of the article, I leave that for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back