MQA or non-MQA DAC upgrade?
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Palartemis

Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade from using Nokia 7 plus using SMSL M6 DAC with SMSL T2 valve amp with Millard E180f valve upgrade. Question is do I go for SMSL M500 MQA DAC and get full MQA unfolding or would I be better sticking to using the UAPP app which unfolds first MQA fold and produces 24bit/96khz quality and instead of the M500 , go for a better hifi DAC like the chord mojo? That’s the budget limit.

Or, should I upgrade phone to LG V50 with full MQA DAC?

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 51
With Amazon and Quboz, I wouldn't bother worrying about MQA. Its a compressed format anyway. If you stick with Tidal, it'll still sound fine without.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 51
You would think so, but living in a third world country (Ireland), my broadband is a very poor 4G service so compressed is very valuable. Thanks for your response too.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 51
Personally I prefer a real MQA DAC. But I would not want to have to choose between a great DAC that doesn't have MQA and an inferior one that does...

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 51
hello, i have MQA renderer 8x DAC,it second unfold of MQA file making. if im listen Tidal from PC and DAC im have not full decoded MQA file? only 88.2 or 96khz? im need a full decoding MQA 16X for listen full quality MQA music? also how i can get first unfold 2X from Tidal? as second unfold will make my DAC renderer.

Mar 13, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 51
I compared the desktop app doing the MQA to my Brooklyn DAC+ and it was difficult to hear a difference.

I think you can enjoy Tidal even without MQA hardware.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 51
I compared the desktop app doing the MQA to my Brooklyn DAC+ and it was difficult to hear a difference.

I think you can enjoy Tidal even without MQA hardware.
brooklyn DAC full decoding MQA or 8x? i think you listen both first time unfolded MQA files. 88.2 or 96khz only. fully decoded MQA masters files go to 192khz. then difference would be bigger. i see your big music collection,maybe you are right. with or without mqa decoding hardware sound is same.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 51
brooklyn DAC full decoding MQA or 8x? i think you listen both first time unfolded MQA files. 88.2 or 96khz only. fully decoded MQA masters files go to 192khz. then difference would be bigger. i see your big music collection,maybe you are right. with or without mqa decoding hardware sound is same.
Brooklyn is a full implementation.

There is a 352 KHz playlist on Tidal but most don't go past 192 as you said.

The Brooklyn lets you see the input bit depth and sample rate and also the expanded bit depth and sample rate. It is a great diagnostic tool for MQA, sadly out of production.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 51
Brooklyn is a full implementation.

There is a 352 KHz playlist on Tidal but most don't go past 192 as you said.

The Brooklyn lets you see the input bit depth and sample rate and also the expanded bit depth and sample rate. It is a great diagnostic tool for MQA, sadly out of production.
my superior hybrid xduoo ta-22 dac/amp has MQA renderer. im receiving from tidal first unfold 2x file and second 8x unfolding my dac. so,im listen full decode master quality song too? but only one song louis armstrong "wonderfull life' im listing at 192khz, all other master go 88.2 or 96khz only. also im dont see any sound difference listen master quality via usb-c to headphones connected to laptop without dac.

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 51
my superior hybrid xduoo ta-22 dac/amp has MQA renderer. im receiving from tidal first unfold 2x file and second 8x unfolding my dac. so,im listen full decode master quality song too? but only one song louis armstrong "wonderfull life' im listing at 192khz, all other master go 88.2 or 96khz only. also im dont see any sound difference listen master quality via usb-c to headphones connected to laptop without dac.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer. You could contact xduoo and ask.

Anyway, it is very hard to hear differences without everything in the chain being very good quality and also knowing what to listen for. But it should definitely be better through the DAC than direct to the laptop. Are you sure Tidal is set with Force Volume and Exclusive Mode both on and MQA Passthru on?

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 51
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer. You could contact xduoo and ask.

Anyway, it is very hard to hear differences without everything in the chain being very good quality and also knowing what to listen for. But it should definitely be better through the DAC than direct to the laptop. Are you sure Tidal is set with Force Volume and Exclusive Mode both on and MQA Passthru on?
exclusive mode on ,force volume off, passthru off-then via ta-22 dac im getting hihest rae 88.2 or 96khz. when passthrou on,then 2x lower shows screen 44.1 or 48khz. Volume always is disabled by tidal when use dac. volume can use only using ub-c wired headpones straight from lapton( no dac ta-22)

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 51
Sounds good! What headphones are you using?

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 51

Attachments

• CDBFDF91-BE42-4217-91E8-6B427D3A7AB8.jpeg
    CDBFDF91-BE42-4217-91E8-6B427D3A7AB8.jpeg
    468 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 51
^ Very nice collection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back