MPX3 upgrade
Apr 8, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 42
thanks for the great description of tube sound signature. I think i'm still going to go with the 5687 as my output tubes. Mikhail told me he's still fine tuning the 5687 as gain tube and he'll let me know on monday or tuesday as to what he thinks of using them as gains.

SACD where did you get your the 6cg7 to 6sn7 adaptor? Is there also one for other tubes? Maybe i shouldn't ask cause then that just means buying more tubes to roll and that's more money.

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by palchiu
Dear All,

Thanks for lots informations with tube rolling.
600smile.gif

Just a small, but important correction. The Raytheon I was writing about should be a [size=x-small]Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7WGT[/size] and nothing else. I have edit the post as well.

And then a bit of a disclamer. I think it is important to read what several person find about a certain tube. I did a lot of homework here at the Head-Fi before I went looking for my self. Taste also differs, you know
wink.gif
I, for example, have a preference leaning towards the dark, relaxed and well mannered scale of the spectrum. Others call that a boring sound
blink.gif
In general I think people prefer a more forward and perhaps exiting sound. Tubes to considre then are Tung-Sol 6SN7GT (round-plates/black-glass), National Union JAN-CNU-6SN7GT, Sylvania 6SN7W / 6SN7A and the above mentioned Raytheon.

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastside504
thanks for the great description of tube sound signature. I think i'm still going to go with the 5687 as my output tubes. Mikhail told me he's still fine tuning the 5687 as gain tube and he'll let me know on monday or tuesday as to what he thinks of using them as gains.

SACD where did you get your the 6cg7 to 6sn7 adaptor? Is there also one for other tubes? Maybe i shouldn't ask cause then that just means buying more tubes to roll and that's more money.

The adapters are a specially made units. These arent something you can just call and order. Its something a friend is doing for me. I have been waiting for quite awhile and they are nearly done. I had a single mini to octal adapter made so I can go from a 6cg7 to a 6sn7. I also has an octal to loctal adapter (set of 3 made) so I can go from 6/12sn7's to 7n7/14n7's. I will have a good time once I get the adapters. Monday or Tuesday huh.... good. Thats my amp he is doing the testing with.
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Why dont you wait a week or so until I get the MPX3 SLAM.

confused.gif
MPX3 SLAM! I thought it was PPX3 SLAM??

Is is a typo or a new product
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow_aetk
confused.gif
MPX3 SLAM! I thought it was PPX3 SLAM??

Is is a typo or a new product
wink.gif

The MPX3 SLAM is another prototype.
eek.gif
I bought a used mpx3-6cg7 from a member here to try using all 5687's in a mpx3 circuit. Why? The 5687's worked so well in the PPX3 cicuit I thought that they may be even better in the MPX3. Furthermore, the MPX3 has the advantage of having a large enough power supply to handle the heater current draw of three 5687's. The 5687 requires much more heater current.... drawing almost 1.0 amp each. The PPX3 would be taxed to supply 50% more current for three 5687's, where the MPX3 can handle the increase easily. Now whether three 5687's sounds inferior to, equal to, or better than the 6cg7/5687 x2 combo, remains to be heard.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
sacd lover, you're killing me! i don't think i can wait for the Singlepower East meet....*explodes*

I pm'd acs236 about doing a mini-meet next week or the following week. Keep in touch. I cant accomodate a huge houseful of people right now, but I can squeeze a few people in; including you. In June (when the wife is in Florida
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I will be having a bigger meet with more people and more stuff.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I pm'd acs236 about doing a mini-meet next week or the following week. Keep in touch. I cant accomodate a huge houseful of people right now, but I can squeeze a few people in; including you. In June (when the wife is in Florida
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I will be having a bigger meet with more people and more stuff.

oooh, awesome! the quarter has settled down a bit, so i should pretty much be free anytime in the next couple weeks, as long as i get a couple days notice on the exact time. sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
oooh, awesome! the quarter has settled down a bit, so i should pretty much be free anytime in the next couple weeks, as long as i get a couple days notice on the exact time. sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Wait another week without an amp? I'm going to become like some1 on this forum!!! *cough* kenw *cough*

Cold, eastie, very cold!!
biggrin.gif
Do without for a couple of months then you'll understand. It really does stink.
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Cold, eastie, very cold!!
biggrin.gif
Do without for a couple of months then you'll understand. It really does stink.
frown.gif

Ken i bet it stinks with the RS, PS, and hd650 just sitting there with nothing to attach to.

SACD, do you know if the variable feedback have much affect on the mpx circuit with 5687 tubes? What exactly does the variable feedback do sound wise?

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Ken i bet it stinks with the RS, PS, and hd650 just sitting there with nothing to attach to.

SACD, do you know if the variable feedback have much affect on the mpx circuit with 5687 tubes? What exactly does the variable feedback do sound wise?

No I dont know what it will do with the MPX3. I didnt get the control added on the SLAM MPX3 amp either; so I wont know. I have been told adding feedback will tighten the bass. But the more feedback you dial in the more soundstage you loose per Mikhail. So there are some trade offs and there may be more. The idea is to use feedback sparingly to make minor adjustments to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back