MP3 Player with large font
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nv88

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an mp3 player that has very simple controls and large fonts. Sound quality would be nice but is secondary. This would be for a non-techie person with poor eyesight. He can read the newspaper with a magnifying glass... He's never used used an mp3 player before.

I understand rockbox players can change font size. A Sansa Fuse v. 1 would probably be perfect. Anyone know if there is a place selling refurbished models? Ideally I can find something cheap. Hoping for $50 or less.

I saw a similar thread where the recommendation was a player with no screen. I'd rather find a moderately small player with dedicated buttons and fonts that are large.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 27
Simple controls and large font - You could try a iPod Nano, it'll allow you to change to font size from within the setting menu (a large font being available). The UI is simple, uncluttered and as good as it gets,

It also features VoiceOver which tells you the title and artist of the songs your listening to etc, along with an FM radio with live pause feature - The sound isn't all that shabby either.

iTunes has a good library of audio books available, it compatible with Audible.com, plenty of podcast content for news etc.

iPod bashers will be here soon to proclaiming it to be rubbish of course any second soon, but it's worth keeping an open mind and at least considering and having a listen to.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 27
i second you with the sansa fuze. look for (an old) or wait for a new stable release of rockbox for the fuze and get everything you'll ever need (including custom fonts).
there are builds for the v2 (that is there were builds for the v2 but they got removed from the page. however there certainly are people who have them - and it certainly wont be long until the fuze is stable...!)

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 27
The Nano would be a good recommendation, but I don't think I can find one in the $50 neighborhood. I'd really rather not have to use iTunes. Sorry, I should have said that.

If I could find it, how stable would the v2 version of Rockbox be on the Fuse? Is there a particular version of Rockbox that would work with a particular firmware version of V2 fuse?

I would also be interested in a no name brand if it had large fonts and a simple interface. This will be used primarily for a couple of long plane flights for a 92 year old to listen to audiobooks or OTR.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 27
I agree that a Rockboxed Fuze would be a good way to go. Ensuring you get a v1 is the difficult part, as this can only be verified by using the device and checking its firmware version (to see if it starts with "V01" rather than "V02") in the player's menu. You're pretty much relegated to contacting sellers of used Fuzes on ebay unless you want to cross your fingers and hope you get the right version from a retailer.

The v2 Fuze is barely usable in its current state as far as Rockbox is concerned. Because it has no write support, you can't save any settings on the player (or construct a database of songs -- though folder browsing works fine) while it's in use. You'll have to create a text file of your desired settings configuration on a computer and then transfer it over via the original firmware in order to make any of those settings stick. Beyond that, I believe general instability also crops up from time to time. In other words, I recommend avoiding the v2s if Rockbox is your aim.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 27
Have you taken a look at the Zunes, including the new Zune HD? The fonts are quite large, and it's very easy on the eyes.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 27
The stock font on the 4gb Zune is pretty large, bigger than the Sansa or iPods,........

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #12 of 27
IME the Creative Zen MX is pretty suitable for handicapped and/or elderly people. It has quite a large font and easy controls, plus you can configure the menu to hide the functions that a non-techie person won't need.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 27
Sorry I just wanted to apologize, I missed the $50 bit when I mentioned the Nano as an ideal choice.

Have you taken a look over at the reviews section over at ABI?

Here's a complete wildcard entry, I was taking a look, trying to find something for you that would both give you a bigger screen and fit the budget when I noticed this:

Philips GoGear Spark SA2925R/37 Review

Amazon.com: Philips SA2925R/37 2 GB Flash Audio Video MP3 Player with Month of Rhapsody Music (Black): Electronics

The screen looks bigger and certainly from the Amazon photo, the font looked quite clear. Not sure if it's quite what you had in mind, but I hope I've been able to help in some small way.

Cheers

Mark

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 27
Hey thanks maporter for the research. This is definitely worth a hard look. It seems a little strange, with the square shape and buttons around the edges. The font looks pretty big on the screen, but I'm having a hard time determining how big the font really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back