MP3 player with 5 band parametric EQ and strong output?
Aug 31, 2005 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

arisen

Head-Fier
I’m looking to get an MP3 player with 5 band parametric EQ and strong output, but portable, for sports and travel. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the RIO line (Cali, Chiba, Forge or Nitrus; Karma is too big and hard to find in Canada). Thanks!

Sep 1, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 12
check out the cowon iAudio X5... www.iaudio.com

i dont know about availiability in Canada, but it definitely has a 5 band EQ and strong output. many other options. I am using it with some shure e3s
etysmile.gif
, and am very impressed with sound quality. it plays FLAC files, free lossless audio codec something, so that you dont loose any sound quality. check out the link and see what you think. $300 , and does more than an ipod ever will.

this thing is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 12
At the last Oregon meet I went to back in June (I missed the August one), I got to see the Karma for the first time, and I have to say, it was very small, it blew my expectations of size out of the water. The iPod Mini was smaller, but it didn't have that certain 'something'. The Archos XS200/202 might also be up your alley, they're both extremely small considering the 20GB's they pack. Don't know about the EQ though, and personally I'd never touch an EQ, it's not my personal preference.

580smile.gif
Abe

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 12
The Karma isn't just hard to find in Canada: it's hard to find everywhere.
But even so, it's worth looking for.

Like seeberg said, it's much smaller than you might think (thicker and shorter than an iPod, and thus not quite so slim-pocket-friendly, but a much better fit in the hand, with a much more intuitive set of controls IMNSHO).
Additionally, it has a 5 band parametric (and fully adjustable, at that: both z-values and all five frequencies can be altered), and has a superb output (I know someone who complains about his E3s being "too loud" at volume level 3--of 30).

TBH, the only real downside I see to the Karma here was your inclusion of "for sports". It's an HDD-based DAP, and is thus not well suited for being banged around.

Otherwise, I'd give it serious consideration; it's a fine piece of electronics goodness. Hope I don't sound like too much of a fanboy here
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
The Karma isn't just hard to find in Canada: it's hard to find everywhere.
But even so, it's worth looking for.

Like seeberg said, it's much smaller than you might think (thicker and shorter than an iPod, and thus not quite so slim-pocket-friendly, but a much better fit in the hand, with a much more intuitive set of controls IMNSHO).
Additionally, it has a 5 band parametric (and fully adjustable, at that: both z-values and all five frequencies can be altered), and has a superb output (I know someone who complains about his E3s being "too loud" at volume level 3--of 30).

TBH, the only real downside I see to the Karma here was your inclusion of "for sports". It's an HDD-based DAP, and is thus not well suited for being banged around.

Otherwise, I'd give it serious consideration; it's a fine piece of electronics goodness. Hope I don't sound like too much of a fanboy here
biggrin.gif

Oh hell no. Karma+shure e2c's=heaven. Too bad that its so poorly built. Rio basically made the best dap i've ever heard, but its flimsy construction has given me a broken jog dial and wacky power fluctuations. The nipple is also tough to work with now.

I picked up a iriver 140 to replace it and its just not growing on me....
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Oh hell no. Karma+shure e2c's=heaven. Too bad that its so poorly built. Rio basically made the best dap i've ever heard, but its flimsy construction has given me a broken jog dial and wacky power fluctuations. The nipple is also tough to work with now.

I picked up a iriver 140 to replace it and its just not growing on me....
frown.gif

I've never had problems with the nipple, but I did break the wheel on my first Karma. Fortunately, it still works otherwise (and the wheel button functions also).
Someday I'll get around to repairing the wheel, and I'll probably drop a new HDD in when I do. Then I can have two fully functional Karmas, instead of 1.87
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
I've never had problems with the nipple, but I did break the wheel on my first Karma. Fortunately, it still works otherwise (and the wheel button functions also).
Someday I'll get around to repairing the wheel, and I'll probably drop a new HDD in when I do. Then I can have two fully functional Karmas, instead of 1.87
biggrin.gif

IF you do fix the wheel, let me know if you would be willing to work on mine. It's totally trashed so i can't use it at all.

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 12
woah best buy in sherway? the one near my hosue used to have one i talked to a sales guy and he just smiled..."i bought the last one we had, so u actually know about daps eh?"...stupid smart sales person arghh.... i wasnt a karma
frown.gif
anyways how much are they selling them for?

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
IF you do fix the wheel, let me know if you would be willing to work on mine. It's totally trashed so i can't use it at all.

Will do!
In fact, I'll add that to my list of stuff to do when I get home from vacation in a couple weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did buy the Karma, last one, a demo unit. Big “Thank You” to notnormal as I got it from Best Buy in Sherway as he said. Now, I need a dock as it didn't come with one.
icon10.gif

I love it so far, Thanks again!

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arisen
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did buy the Karma, last one, a demo unit. Big “Thank You” to notnormal as I got it from Best Buy in Sherway as he said. Now, I need a dock as it didn't come with one.
icon10.gif

I love it so far, Thanks again!

No problem. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back