MP3 Player Tariff
May 20, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm a little confused. Is this tax for iPods, or all mp3 players? If it's only for ipods, I'm sure ipods must be the only available mp3 player in UK and that most people own one. If it's for all mp3 players, you must also tax every type of electronic that plays mp3s. This would have to include PDAs, laptops, desktops, some cellphones, any cd players with cdr playback, etc etc etc. Even some digital cameras can play mp3s. Great idea, music business guys!

Personally, I'd like to see them disclose their actual profits and financial situations before going off complaining about being bankrupt by piracy.

-g

May 20, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan

Personally, I'd like to see them disclose their actual profits and financial situations before going off complaining about being bankrupt by piracy.

-g

I'd question that as well. Estradasphere is a group that actively encourages the recording of their live shows!!!!

Because of that open policy, I found out about them and bout all of their albums.

May 21, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan

-g

Ding ding ding ding ding! You hit it on the head- the recording industry can't do that though, or else they have no excuse-they have to hide for their own benefit. They aren't, and never have been down the road of bankruptcy by way of P2P sharing or MP3 playing in general. The real dent is the simple fact that they got greedy, raised prices(which the RIAA in the 'States was sued for-and lost $40M), and people starting circumventing this selfishness with P2P technology, hence the decrease in profit. If CD's weren't so expensive more people would buy them more often, and it seems that the recoding industry wants to deny this until they actually are bankrupt, which doesn't surprise me, and neither does the attempt to tax mp3 players in the UK. It all sounds like bullcrap to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Because of that open policy, I found out about them and bout all of their albums.

...Sounds like open source software, open is better, no?
I totally agree with that open policy you mentioned, it spreads the music around like seeds which grow in peoples' music collections. I love that approach to music, personally.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back