MP3/minidisc player for exercise <$150
Dec 1, 2002 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I need to buy some kind of music player as a Christmas gift that would work for exercise. Here's my requirements:

Must cost less than $150, preferably closer to $100
Can be mp3/minidisc/whatever, but it needs to be small and not skip
FM radio would be nice, but not necessary
Must work with Mac OS 10.2

I was looking at the iRiver 180t initially, and then the Creative Muvo, but neither manufacturer says that Macs are supported (though I seem to remember reading that the Muvo worked with Macs). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

bdb55

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I've read over at another board that people have bought Sony MZ-R500 MD recorders for $79.95 at Target. It doesn't have NetMD (allowing fast transfer of tunes, but NetMD isn't supported by Mac. Or is that the other way round?), but as long as anything has a sound output of some sort, (optical, analog) it will work with anything.

Dec 2, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 7
If you are looking for a recorder, then I would say find a sharp minidisc. Surprisingly at Kmart they have the mdsr60 for about $115.

If you want just a player, Sonystyle has a refurbed unit for $30 (the Mz-e 300 I think)

As for mp3 I dont have a clue. I am not a big fan of mp3 to be honest. but for apple compatability the only thing that comes to mind is the ipod (too expensive)

Hope that helps

Dudlew

Dec 5, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7
i know 2 ppl who have this mp3 player, and say its great. on the box it says it works with Mac OS 8.6-9.1, but i would hazard to guess that it supports the more recent OS.

last time i checkd, it was cheapest atOverstock.com when using a coupon code. i think there are a couple out there, for 5 or 10% off.

here is a review

gluck

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 7
I too recommend an MD player/recorder.

I have owned PCDP, mp3 player and MD. Of the three options MD is definitely the best for someone who's exercising and listening to music.

I've found most PCDP's skip unless you hold them in your hand. Put one in a waist pack and exercise and most will skip.

Dec 10, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 7
My choice for jolting exercise is a RIO800 MP3 player. The battery and it's charging is flat out flakey, but it works ok most of the time. I have good songs on there for exercise, about 4 hours worth, and I put it on random play all the time. Never get tired of selections.

I don't know if the RIO goes into a Mac.

PCDP are not really good for exercise. MD can be better. I use MD if not beating the unit up with movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back