MP3 Fm transmitter for the car?
Feb 7, 2009 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Feb 7, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 19
I bought the iRiver transmitter. Will give a verdict using it with an iMod, eclipse tuner and some alpine 6.5 2 ways in the doors lol.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 19
The iRiver got good reviews. It transmits to ALL fm freqs which ensures that I will get a clean signal.

I have two cars which could use it. My Towncar has a stock stereo and my wife forbids me to make alterations.

We'll see. For $25 I took the hit for the team.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 19
FM transmitters do sound rubbish and ive heard quite a few.

Even a tape adapter is preferable! You sound like you have an after market system in your car, does your head unit have some kind of line in?

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 19
They hiss and there is a huge drop in sound quality. Also, while you move in the car, other local stations start to interfere with them and you get other stations creeping over your music.

I wouldn't waste the money. They don't work well.

Ian

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 19
Feb 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 19
Something else has occurred to me - I wonder whether the USA versions of these things puts out more power than we are allowed to in the UK? (Therefore they work a bit better?)

The biggest problem with them here is an overcrowded radio spectrum and these very low power transmitters just can't get over competing stations if you drive around and get too near an incoming station.

In the UK, this is not very far!!!

Ian

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to be able to use my portables with my old Trooper work trucks radio. This looks ok but does anyone here have one?

Amazon.com: iriver AFT 100 Mobile FM Transmitter: Electronics

I have one that looks just like that but with some other brand name on it. It works very well for me, I prefer it over cassette adapers. It uses the connecting wire as the broadcast antenna, so play around with the position of the wire to find what works best in your car. It works especially well with my Sansa E260, perhaps because of the metal back of the player, but other MP3 players work acceptably well.

Also, try using a site like this to find (relatively) empty frequencies to use.
Belkin : my best FM stations I put in my home and work zip codes and choose the one or two frequencies that showed up on both lists.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one that looks just like that but with some other brand name on it. It works very well for me, I prefer it over cassette adapers. It uses the connecting wire as the broadcast antenna, so play around with the position of the wire to find what works best in your car. It works especially well with my Sansa E260, perhaps because of the metal back of the player, but other MP3 players work acceptably well.

Also, try using a site like this to find (relatively) empty frequencies to use.
Belkin : my best FM stations I put in my home and work zip codes and choose the one or two frequencies that showed up on both lists.

Sweet. I was hoping for this. I will use my sansa and iMod.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Ok. With the iMod and my XP amp, the iRiver fm transmitter works great! Hell, it is better than my stock in dash cd player. No surprise though. The key is using a portable amp to get the gain just right. With the iMod, everything improves. Even though it is fm, I am happy enough with it.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Sorry to wake up a dead thread, but I didn't think it was necessary to start a new one. As far as good FM transmitters, has anyone heard of the EZNEX EzCube? It seems to be a good performer and is getting good reviews:

Eznex ENA7000 EzCube FM transmitter MP3 Player Accessory reviews - CNET Reviews

There are also a few demos of it some people put on YouTube. What do you guys think? If you have to go with an FM transmitter, is there anything better?

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back