moving up from Sony mdr-v6/7506
Feb 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
I really like these cans, but do not find them accurate enough for music production/mixing duties. Since I like the lively sony sound, I though I'd move up the line...maybe to the 7509HD, but they don't seem to get a whole lot of love here on the forum. Any other Sony's that I might consider as an upgrade from the 7506's. I want something that has a more neutral/flat frequency response...is suitable for studio work...and under $200. Any Sony lovers here?

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 12
Unfortunately they only seem to be available from Japan...while the 7509's are widely available in the U.S.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget? I'm assuming you want closed headphones. True?

Budget is $200 max. Semi-open is fine. I was considering a second-hand set of k501's, but the lean bass is holding me back. I figured the Sony's would be much better in that regard. I can get Beyer dt150's for less than the price of the CD900ST's but I don't know how their sound compares. If anyone could compare the sound signature of the dt150's to a high end Sony headphone like the mdr-v7 or cd900 that would be very helpful...or even the mdr-7509. Thanks to all for the feedback!

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not considering a second-hand set of K70X??

I wouldn't normally consider buying the 701's because they are too expensive. But perhaps I could find a second-hand set from a reliable seller within my budget. I was just reading yesterday on this forum how the 501's have a flat/neutral/honest frequency response...except for the bass, so they were in the forefront of my mind.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 12
I haven't heard the MDR-7509HD yet, but a pair was mailed to me last Thursday. I'll put up impressions when they get here.

I loved the MDR-V6, too, but gave my pair away when I got a Sennheiser HD-650. The HD-650 is a great headphone, but I think the HD-600 is a better neutral reference. You can find the HD-600 around $200 used. I'd keep an eye out for one, and be sure to read its reviews and comparisons here. It might be the headphone you're looking for.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 12
What a coincidence, I'm in the process of making the exact same move from the 7506 myself; I recently purchased an HD650, and am in line for a KICAS Caliente headphone amp by Purity Audio. I'll probably get some BJC ICs, and I should be set for the next few years or so. From what I've gathered so far, I made a pretty good selection. I sure am eager to hear my phones through that amp...

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the MDR-7509HD yet, but a pair was mailed to me last Thursday. I'll put up impressions when they get here.

I loved the MDR-V6, too, but gave my pair away when I got a Sennheiser HD-650. The HD-650 is a great headphone, but I think the HD-600 is a better neutral reference. You can find the HD-600 around $200 used. I'd keep an eye out for one, and be sure to read its reviews and comparisons here. It might be the headphone you're looking for.

Looking forward to your review. Have heard lots of good things about the hd600's...and the 580's. When you get the 7509's maybe you can give us a comparison between the sound signature of those and the hd600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back