Moving to Brooklyn
Mar 25, 2008 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm graduating medical school in a couple months and am going to start my internship in Brooklyn at SUNY Downstate around the beginning of July. Any advice? I hear I should live in this neighborhood, Park Slope. Anyways, I've never lived outside California in my life and I've never attempted to move this far away so if anyone had any wisdom to share it'd be much appreciated.

Also, in about 14 months I start my radiology training at Harlem Hospital on 136th and Lenox Ave. I have no idea where I should live then either, but I figured I'll figure out first things first.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 25
I can't say much about Brooklyn, but if you ever find yourself in Manhattan near 7th and 55th, visit the Carnegie Deli (and bring cash).

mmm carnegie *drool*

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 25
California to New York? Well, be sure to dress warm. It gets pretty cold in New York, even nowadays when it's spring..

In my experience, traffic in Manhattan gets really crazy sometimes.
But if you're going to take the train, find more than one route home, because there are often service changes (though, usually on weekends). It's also really easy to get lost, so have a map, and if necessary, ask someone. And some train stations (42nd Street Port Authority in particular) get confusing, and you have to walk long distances to get to where you have to go. Just follow the signs.

Also, I don't think we have any hi-fi shops around.. :/ (Or at least I've yet to find one.) The closest one to hi-fi is probably AudioCubes, but that's more mid-fi.

I used to live in Brooklyn, but I can't say much about Brooklyn either because I was too young to remember much. And I doubt Canarsie, Brooklyn is still the same after 12 years..
Park Slope sounds like a nice place to live, though, from what I'm reading.
Park Slope - New York City Neighborhood - Brooklyn - NYC

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 25
Park Slope is rather far from Harlem. I haven't checked public transportation but I imagine something out to the suburbs out north or even in Queens would be more appropriate.

I will say that if I were a few years younger, I would love to live in Park Slope. But I guess I'm not in my poor 20s anymore. (though dunno how that exactly translates to living on the Lower East Side
wink.gif
)

Best,

-Jason

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 25
I haven't been there, but I couldn't help thinking: Road Trip!

I'd love to make the drive back there, especially if I had a couple weeks to kill on the way. It'd be a great time.

I hear the pizza is pretty good there.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Park Slope is rather far from Harlem. I haven't checked public transportation but I imagine something out to the suburbs out north or even in Queens would be more appropriate.

Yeah, I realize. But for my first year of training I'll be working at SUNY Downstate and Kings County Hospital which is right on the other side of Prospect Park from Park Slope.

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 25
It takes a very long time to get from Queens to Harlem. Depending on where you live, of course. Long Island City would probably be closest, but it isn't a good neighborhood. Most of the good neighborhoods in Queens are far away from train stations, making the commute longer.

The upperwest side/Morningside Heights (near Riverside Park) could be a good place to live when you start your training at the Harlem Hospital. Low crime rates. But is pricey..

Mar 25, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The upperwest side/Morningside Heights (near Riverside Park) could be a good place to live when you start your training at the Harlem Hospital. Low crime rates. But is pricey..

Yeah, I was talking to one of the current radiology residents there who lived in the upper west side. Sounds like a lot of money for a tiny space but I think I still like the idea.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 25
In general, you're going to be paying a premium to live close to where you want to go, be it Park Slope or the Upper West Side. Park Slope isn't so bad price wise, but UWS is expensive.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say much about Brooklyn, but if you ever find yourself in Manhattan near 7th and 55th, visit the Carnegie Deli (and bring cash).

mmm carnegie *drool*

when was the last time you were there? it has slipped dramatically in quality in the last couple of years.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 25
I live in Brooklyn and commute to Manhattan. I live a bit far into Brooklyn, but right next to a major subway line and another one about 10 minutes away. The further you go into Brooklyn or any other place, the cheaper it will get. How much are you looking to spend for the apartment? Ass others have said, the most important thing in NYC is to live near a good subway line that will get you to the city.

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are you looking to spend for the apartment?

I was thinking probably in the 1500-2000 range, somewhere in there.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking probably in the 1500-2000 range, somewhere in there.

Oh for that money I am sure you will find a pretty nice place. We pay $1400 for a huge 2 bedroom apartment in pretty decent neighborhood.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm from Canarsie too and it is not the same as it once was.

haha I would never recommend to even go to Canarsie nowadays. I heard back in the day it was a very good place to live at.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #15 of 25
Williamsburg is where all the cool kids are. It helps if you're a bad dresser and don't comb your hair often though.

I live right near the L and it's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back