Moving on from the Denon D1001
Apr 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sohels

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Back after a while on Head-Fi! My Denon D1001 is on its last legs and I'm looking for a replacement. I prefer listening straight from my iPhone 4S (which I believe sounds better than my uDac plugged into my Macbook Air). I just purchased the V-Moda M-80 but I'm not very happy with it. The D1001 sounds a lot more natural, spacious, and refined. It is also a lot more comfortable. To get an idea of my listening preferences, I use the Bass Booster EQ setting for the D1001, although I prefer Rock/Hip-Hop for the M-80. I have also tried a friend's ATH-M50 but that did not appeal at all. It was an aggressive, screechy, closed-in sound. It was also too bulky.

So the question is what to try next? I'm looking at the V-Moda M-100, Denon D1100, Philips X1, Sennheiser Amperior and Momentum, Beyer DT1350, Shure 215, Sony 1R, and ahem.. Bose QC15. I believe I'm a bass-head but I like a warm, spacious, refined sound as well. An HD650 that sounds great unamped and has more sprakly treble would be ideal. Or a smaller D2000 with a softer treble and higher sensitivity would also be ideal. I would like something that I can carry around in a backpack so nothing too bulky or delicate. Any suggestions?

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 13
Philips X1s are very bulky and open. I would not wear mine anywhere else but at home. Of those you mention I would have chosen the Momentums or the Amperiors. For rock probably the Amperiors, when comparing I think they had a faster and tighter sound. But overall the Momentums sounded better. Also Momentums might not be right if you want lots of bass. Haven't heard M-100 or DT1350.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Philips X1s are very bulky and open. I would not wear mine anywhere else but at home. Of those you mention I would have chosen the Momentums or the Amperiors. For rock probably the Amperiors, when comparing I think they had a faster and tighter sound. But overall the Momentums sounded better. Also Momentums might not be right if you want lots of bass. Haven't heard M-100 or DT1350.

I see. Any thoughts on the Philips L1/M1? Also, too bad about the Momentum's bass. Perhaps they respond well to EQ-ing?

Quote:
Get the Creative Aurvana Live, it's a rebadge of the D1001.

I toyed with the idea, but thought I'd be able to do better with a $400 budget. Any chance you can do a quick D2000 / SRH840 / T50RP / SE215 comparison?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I see. Any thoughts on the Philips L1/M1? Also, too bad about the Momentum's bass. Perhaps they respond well to EQ-ing?

I toyed with the idea, but thought I'd be able to do better with a $400 budget. Any chance you can do a quick D2000 / SRH840 / T50RP / SE215 comparison?

D2000, great sounding, more bass than the CAL! with outstanding extension in the sub bass, definitely a feel and hear the bass headphone. Little sibilant in the highs, quite pronounced with low quality recordings. Mids are slightly recessed. Soundstage is very good for a closed headphone. Very comfortable, but not portable despite being easy to power. My personal favourite but may be overpriced now. Probably wouldn't pay more than $300 max.

SRH840, quite neutral sound signature with a nice warm tilt. Excellent mids and quite prominent bass for a studio monitor. Bass extension is very good and quite punchy, at times you can certainly feel the bass hit. Treble can be hot sometimes, especially if you prefer darker sounds but is nicely detailed. Not very forgiving of low quality music. Images well, but soundstage is slightly small. Folds nicely and comes with a carry bag from transport easily powered from a portable DAP, but does like a little more power than some DAP can provide to get the best sound. Very comfy, but can feel quite heavy on the head since a lot of the weight is in the headband.

T50RP(it's been a while since I've had these stock), neutral sound signature, less detailed than the D2000 or SRH840 stock. Treble is quite understated and forgiving, but can lack detail. Midrange is smooth and all round great. Bass is present but not as detailed as the D2k or 840 nor does it extend as far. Can't remember what the imaging or soundstage was like. Stock headband...less said the better. Stock pads are surprisingly good quality pleather but not very deep, recommend swapping with SRH840 pads. About the same size as the SRH840 but doesn't fold, doesn't come with a case but can be quite easily modified with a v-moda cable to be reasonably travel friendly as long as you carry them in hand luggage, will also need a decent amp to power them. Modding is really required to bring out the best from these cans.

SE215, very nice bassy IEM, quite heavily coloured with a strong mid bass and mid range. Least detailed of all these, but also very forgiving. The mids are the focus of this IEM, which are slightly forward over the mid bass with the rest of the spectrum taking a backseat. Treble is good, but doesn't really stand out. Soundstaging is decent, but nothing amazing, I've heard better at lower prices and worse at higher prices. Imaging is a similar story. One of the most comfortable IEMs I own, isolate extremely well and come with a carry pouch. This was my general travel IEM of choice for many months until I moved to the Phonak PFE 112 and 232. 

With regards to the Momentum and Amperior. I didn't like them. The Momentum in particular was extremely disappointing. Very veiled sound.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
SE215, very nice bassy IEM, quite heavily coloured with a strong mid bass and mid range.

Thank you very much! I've been curious about the Shure IEMs for a while; just ordered the SE215.
Quote:
No matter what you do, do not get d1100. I have cal and d1100 is clearly inferior.

Interesting. How so? I've read that the midrange can seem recessed on the D1100 - is this why you prefer the CAL?

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Just tried the L1 briefly. Liked them, had a punchy sound suitable for modern music. But I was looking for something better and got the Fidelio X1.
Haven't tried EQ:ing the Momentums, I usually don't use EQ. Actually considering the Momentums myself, mainly for commuting and travel. Just waiting for a good deal.
If you want bass try the Denon D600, they are a lot of fun. Might not be suitable for all music tastes. Tried them with rock, hiphop and EDM/Electro, they were awesome with that. But very bulky and won't fit small heads.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Just received the SE215, can't say I'm impressed with the IEM concept. Sounds a little congested and lacking in dynamic range somehow. On the other hand, the M-80 is actually growing on me. If the M-100 has more slam and openness, it might be exactly what I'm looking for. Do Apple stores carry the M-100?

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Please look into the Yamaha PRO 500. I am a big fan of the Denon D1001/1000 - still have my pair for around the house listening. The PRO 500 is the ultimate upgrade IMHO and fits your description - nice punchy, impactful bass with good extension, spacious sound, great detail, imaging, layering, and the highs are some of the most refined I have heard in a headphone - not rolled off, sparkly with plenty of shimmer with no sibilance to my ears. The timbre of instruments is very natural. Can't stress how musical this headphone is while sounding very detailed. The only caveats of this headphone is comfort as it is a bit bulky, but the sound quality is worth it for me. Everything is nicely balanced across the spectrum.

For better comfort and better portability, the V-MODA M-100 should be a good choice although it is slightly U-shaped.

And I also agree, the D1100 is not an upgrade o the D1001. It is not balanced and sounds good to me with Trance/Electronica but that's about it. Vocals are too recessed and the bass is too big IMO. The comfort is pretty great though.

I am a fan of the Shure SRH-840 as well as a modded T50rp but would not consider them very portable. YMMV.

The Momentum is a pretty good- all-around headphone - it does many things right. To my ears, it sounds like an upgraded M-80 - better mids and highs although I think the M-80 has more detailed and punchier bass. I will say that if your ears fit, it's a very comfortable headphone and extremely portable. If you become interested in this headphone, feel free to shoot me a pm. I am letting my black pair go since I need the funds but my pair is practically brand new.

May 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Hello roma101, thanks for your reply. I actually returned both the M80 and Shure 215 and am currently listening to a Denon D1100. I am really enjoying this headphone - yes the sound is colored, but then I am looking more for enjoyment than the last word in fidelity. It has a very solid bottom end with a treble which is somewhere in between the D1001 and D2000, which I think is just right. Yes, the mids could be a little better though. Your description of the Yamaha Pro 500 has me intrigued - that is exactly what I was looking for, but as it turns out, that is actually how I'd describe the D1100! Lets see if this honeymoon lasts, if not the Pro 500 is next on my list. Good luck with the Momentum sale, I'm hanging on to the D1100 for now.

May 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 13
That's cool, as long as you enjoy them that's all that matters! I will say the D1100 is a lot more comfortable than the PRO 500 - lighter with roomier ear cups.

May 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
No matter what you do, do not get d1100. I have cal and d1100 is clearly inferior.

Totally agree with this.  I've had both of these headphones and the CAL stomps all over the D1100s.  I would suggest picking up a pair of D2k's if its in your price range.  I use to own one and regret selling it.  The D2k's are probably the best closed headphones I've ever owned and its bass response is almost unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back