Moving on from Grado SR60... AKG K601? Other suggestions?
Jan 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Guth

New Head-Fier
I've owned a pair of SR60 headphones for a number of years now. I like their versatility as they are easy to drive (they work with my Mac, my iPod, etc.). I recently acquired a headphone amp for my main system - a Naim Headline2 fronted by a Naim CD5, along with a Linn rig for vinyl playback and am looking for a set of headphones dedicated to use in this setup.

The SR60 has served me well and I know from reading here that in general, the Grados are the darlings of the rock/metal crowd (I listen to a lot of rock). However, to my ears, I find them to be somewhat fatiguing with a lot of my rock recordings. I'm investigating a new set of headphones and from the reading I've been doing, the AKG K601 sounds like it might be one of the better fits given my personal preferences (decent bass with a forgiving but still involving top end presentation).

I wouldn't mind having a bit more bass than the SR60 offers, but I prefer quality bass over quantity. I also want to drop some of the glare/etchiness from the overall mix without loosing too much of the forward presentation - I'm guessing this is a rather tall order to fill.

The K601 sounds like it might fit the bill and I'm hoping that it would be compatible with the Headline, but I'm not sure. I don't desire to obtain a stash of various brands/models, but would rather find a good all-around answer in a single set of headphones. I listen to a lot of classic rock with a good amount of jazz, blues, acoustic and a little bit of everything else thrown into the mix. I would like to keep the cost under $300 USD. Of course, I'll be hanging onto the SR60s.

For those who would suggest moving up the Grado path, I've tried the SR80, SR125 and SR225 and did not find them to be much of an improvement over the SR60 (In some cases I actually preferred the presentation of the 60s, not to mention that I don't care for the feel of Grado's bowl earpads). Thus, I feel that looking for another solution might serve me best.

Not much available locally, thus I'm turning to you on this board for some input. As a reference point, other phones that I've been able to listen to in person include the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (lots of bass and a sparkling top end, but too recessed in the midrange), DT831 (sounded like fingernails running across a chalkboard, might have been a damaged set?), the Goldring DR150 (very fun overall, but the sound seemed a bit "plastic" to me for lack of a better description), The Sennheiser 280 Pro (not bad, but looking for a more open sound).

Your thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who would suggest moving up the Grado path, I've tried the SR80, SR125 and SR225 and did not find them to be much of an improvement over the SR60 (In some cases I actually preferred the presentation of the 60s, not to mention that I don't care for the feel of Grado's bowl earpads). Thus, I feel that looking for another solution might serve me best.

If that's what you feel, IMHO, then I'd suggest that you try the K501 (~$125), and save your hard earned money for a good amp to drive the K501(Headfive ?).

rs1smile.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm not sure the K-501 is a good rock can, and the OP listens to a lot of it. I much prefer the K-501 for jazz and smaller classical pieces. It will rock, but not like a Grado.

I haven't listened to the K-601, but I do find the K-701 better for rock. If you take a look around, there are lengthy opinions on it here. You can find the K-701 as low as $244 at a few places, and they run $250-$260 new on eBay. You can absolutely get one shipped for under $300.

A more balanced Beyerdynamic you might enjoy would be the DT880. I think rock is particularly good through it. I don't know if you can still get the 2003 model for $149, but you should be able to beat the $300 mark with the 2005 version.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's what you feel, IMHO, then I'd suggest that you try the K501 (~$125), and save your hard earned money for a good amp to drive the K501(Headfive ?).

rs1smile.gif

Headfive? He's got a Naim Headline 2!! That's like suggesting a Corolla to someone driving an Aston Martin.
rs1smile.gif

EDIT: ...it just occurred to me that I may have missed some sarcasm here, sorry 3x311 hehe.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure the K-501 is a good rock can, and the OP listens to a lot of it. I much prefer the K-501 for jazz and smaller classical pieces. It will rock, but not like a Grado.

I haven't listened to the K-601, but I do find the K-701 better for rock. If you take a look around, there are lengthy opinions on it here. You can find the K-701 as low as $244 at a few places, and they run $250-$260 new on eBay. You can absolutely get one shipped for under $300.

A more balanced Beyerdynamic you might enjoy would be the DT880. I think rock is particularly good through it. I don't know if you can still get the 2003 model for $149, but you should be able to beat the $300 mark with the 2005 version.

I agree with your comments. I do have a K701 and a series of Grados and love them. However, I think the OP found the sr60 fatiguing, and did not see the major diffence between the sr60 and sr225. Hence, I would think that the OP needs a set of less forwarding phone, and if the OP does not see the major difference between sr60 and sr225 then the difference between k501 and k701 might not make a major difference after all.

It's just me.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headfive? He's got a Naim Headline 2!! That's like suggesting a Corolla to someone driving an Aston Martin.
rs1smile.gif

...it just occurred to me that I may have missed some sarcasm here, sorry 3x311 hehe.

I take my Headfive suggestion back
tongue.gif
. Thanks.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 13
agreeing with the DT880... they're awesome, and i'd be buying them soon if they weren't open (need closed cans). you can get them for about $200, and maybe even $150 if you're lucky. i haven't personally heard K601s, but i have heard the K701s. they're great cans and you can hear everything perfectly, but a bit boring for my tastes. DT880 is a great compromise between lean-analytical VS colored-fun. they're serious business... damn, now i kind of want to buy them. oh well, i'm already satisfied with my grados for home use, and the 880s cant be driven directly outta my ipod.

good luck, whichever path you take, and good luck to your wallet

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 13
All, Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the Grados - I can make out differences in the models I've tried, but they do not differ enough in the areas that are of concern to me. Some of this could come down to the way the bowl pads fit my head/ears. I really like the fun factor of the Grados - I just don't get along with the way they present the upper midrange/lower trebles on a number of my less than stellar recordings (which makes up a lot of the stuff that I like to crank up late at night). Aside from this criticism, I really like the high fun factor presented by the Grados and can understand why many are drawn to them.

I'm not seeking out an analytical design, and certainly don't want anything that is sterile sounding - I just want something that keeps me grooving to the music.

The DT880 is an interesting suggestion - I found the DT990 Pro to be very comfortable which is a plus if this is representative of the feel of the beyerdynamic 'phones. I'll be sure to investigate the DT880 in more detail.

All the best,
Guth

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a pair of SR60 headphones for a number of years now. I like their versatility as they are easy to drive (they work with my Mac, my iPod, etc.). I recently acquired a headphone amp for my main system - a Naim Headline2 fronted by a Naim CD5, along with a Linn rig for vinyl playback and am looking for a set of headphones dedicated to use in this setup.

I wouldn't mind having a bit more bass than the SR60 offers, but I prefer quality bass over quantity. I also want to drop some of the glare/etchiness from the overall mix without loosing too much of the forward presentation - I'm guessing this is a rather tall order to fill. Would rather find a good all-around answer in a single set of headphones. I listen to a lot of classic rock with a good amount of jazz, blues, acoustic and a little bit of everything else thrown into the mix. I would like to keep the cost under $300 USD. Of course, I'll be hanging onto the SR60s.

Your thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Other than the dislike of the Grado Bowl pads, a perfect solution may be the Alessandro MS2i. The MS2i seems to fit most all the other requirements just fine!! They have most of what is good in the Grado house sound, including the forwardness, but tames it and moves it quite a bit to the middle of the road, being able to reproduce most everything quite well short of the biggest of the classical pieces which is better reproduced with a more laid back presentation.

Some folks seem to like the Senn HD414 pads reversed on their MS2i.

....I like them on my MS-1s!

And they're a whole buck under your price limit!
smily_headphones1.gif

.....no; the MS2i. The Senns are about four bucks.
plainface.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 13
HD595? technically superior to sr60, better detail, bass, soundstage, good kick

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 13
From the bit of reading that I've done, my understanding is that the Sennheisers are a bit dark and pretty laid-back in their presentation, not exactly what I'm looking for.

Would this not be a fair way to sum up the Senns, or is that quite a bit of variation between models?

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216786
To the OP:

I gave some initial impressions of the DT880 and the K601 in the thread above.

With my set-up, I really enjoy BOTH phones a great deal. There are times when I find the DT880 a little bright up top. When that happens, I have to turn down the volume a tad - or reach for the K601. When I listen to some piano concertos by that dude Beethoven, I prefer the DT880. For harder stuff, like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and anything that's got wailing, high-pitched guitars or a lot of cymbal and hi-hat work, I reach for the K601.

That's for my ears and my listening preferences, though. You may find the DT880 just right for you. Or, if you have ears like mine, you may prefer the K601.

If you could demo them, it would be great. I'm not sure what your ears can take, but I think it is fair to say the DT880 is brighter than the K601. I'm just not sure what your brightness tolerance is.

-LB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back