Moving from Soundmagic PL50
Jan 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

TheMafioso

Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I need to buy new pair of IEM's to be used Cowon Iaudio7.
Currently i have SoundMagic PL50 and I like the way it sounds, but I find the bass on it lacking(even with Machbass DSP set to 5). Not that it doesn't have bass, but I find the punch lacking.

I mostly listen to classic rock, grundge...
Which ones I should go with...so far i've shortlisted RE-0. My Budget is arnd. $100

Regards,

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 19
If you find the bass lacking on the PL50, you will find it lacking on the RE0. Not recommended.

However, that being said, it is a fantastic IEM with fairly accurate bass. But it sounds like you may need more than that.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 19
RE0 definitely wont give you more bass quantity. The cable on the S4 depends on how you treat them and if it is a manufacturing error theres a 2 year warranty on them. I found them fine the short time I did own them tho.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMafioso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Heard Klipsch earphone aren't very durable...there cable goes bad easily or something...is it true?

I will attest that the cables on the Custom 1 and Image X5 are both subpar.

As for the S4, I have no idea.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 19
You might want to consider the Hippo VB. You can find it for around $75. It is, based on some favorable reviews, a bit like an RE0 with a considerably more authoritative low end - at a slight expense to the high end however.CliOS has a review of it in his multi-IEM thread, and there is another on anythingbutipod.com

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 19
So between Hippo VB and S4?
Compared reviews of both, seems Hippo VB is more bassy but less clear...while S4 has sibilance issue
confused_face.gif

What's sibilance?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 19
get the vsonics RE0Pro2...very similar price range.

The PL50 is an excellent IEM- but they are very flat in comparison to headphones that really have kick.

The vsonics are on par with the PL50 in terms of sound quality (however, keep in mind it is all subjective) yet whereas the PL50s may be described as flat, the Vsonics ware the opposite.

of course the next step from that would be something like a Westone 2, 3, SE530 or triple fi sorta of level.

If you were looking to spend some more money, from what i have read, the Westone 2 are a fantastic IEM

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Sibilance would be like a diffuse/fuzzy "spike" of highs/treble frequencies on the "S" "F" and sometimes "T" and "D" sounds on vocals (that is my noobish interpretation). It seems to be "naturally" present on nearly every recordings but especially noticeable on poorly masterized, or poorly encoded (eg low bitrates mp3) ones.
It also seems that sibilance sensitivity could vary from people to people.

I dont own the s4 but own the hippo VBs myself and based on what i read i think both probably have a pretty similar sound signature : somehow warm and bassy with extended lower end, good mids, and somehow brightish with extended, somewhat harsh treble. I dont know of anybody who owns both but i havent concluded that the VBs would be more bassy and/or less clear than the S4. Actually it seems to me that the VBs would extend lower with slightly less midbass hump than the S4, with maybe a more neutral midrange and a similar extended and not-so-refined treble.
I can affirm that the VBs bass indeed extend audibly to impressively low frequencies but is also free of any midbass-hump suspicion. (i would actually probably enjoy a slightly higher midbass on my VBs even though i am not really a basshead)
I do have a problem with its treble though and would say that if you are, like myself, very sibilance-sensitive you should stay away from any phone that is suspect of "brightness", "treble harshness" and even slightly above average sibilance.
I havent heard the RE0 yet or any other phone with a reputation of extended AND very refined treble, but it seems to me that any phone that can be qualified as "bright", "treble-centric", "hugely detailed treble" would only exacerbate any sibilance already present in the recordings and make it unenjoyable to highly sibilance-sensitive folks.
But then, the magic of burn-in (be it in your brain or on the actual mechanics of the phones) can change things : i am now enjoying my (foam modded) VBs a LOT even though i still get bothered by sibilance from time to time.
I can easily see the VBs among the overall best IEMs you can get for under 100$ for anybody that is not overly sibilance-sensitive and naturally inclined to like darker sound signatures.

EDIT:
other contenders for your needs : earthsounds thunder, both cyclones pr1 pro (not sure about the bass, have yet to receive them) and pr2, radiopaq jazz, meelec ai-m6, audio-technica cks70, FA eterna (maybe too far from neutral coming from pl50) and silver bullet (not sure about the bass quantity), crossroads woody 2, monster turbines (if you can get them under 100$)

EDIT2:
i suddendly realized that you probably shouldnt pay attention to my comments about VBs or S4 or whatever sibilance, since you are very probably NOT highly sibilance-sensitive. The first time i stepped on the word "sibilance" (it was on these forums) it made immediately and intuitively sense all by itself to me (SSSSiblianSSe!) without me having to look or ask for a definition, because i had very often noticed or been bothered by this phenomenon to some degree before. If you were highly sibilance-sensitive yourself, it would also have made sense to you immediately.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigcanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the vsonics RE0Pro2...very similar price range.

The PL50 is an excellent IEM- but they are very flat in comparison to headphones that really have kick.

The vsonics are on par with the PL50 in terms of sound quality (however, keep in mind it is all subjective) yet whereas the PL50s may be described as flat, the Vsonics ware the opposite.

Really? R02ProII (I think that's what you mean) better than the PL50? Maybe I do like a flatter sound but I'm just not hearing it. The midrange is slightly sucked-out and quite grainy compared to the silky-smooth PL50 and there seems to be a mid-bass hump that gives them some coloration as well. Lacking detail compared to PL50, too. Very good phones for the $35 or whatever they cost but not better than the PL50 to me.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 19
Joker, what would you say about the cyclone pr1 pro for the ts needs? I have never heard the pl50 and i have yet to receive my pr1 pro and i have read everything you wrote about those and it seemed that you felt the pr1pro had -some- more bass quantity. Is it still the case? Would it be a significant enough increase in bass quantity from the pl50?

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker, what would you say about the cyclone pr1 pro for the ts needs? I have never heard the pl50 and i have yet to receive my pr1 pro and i have read everything you wrote about those and it seemed that you felt the pr1pro had -some- more bass quantity. Is it still the case? Would it be a significant enough increase in bass quantity from the pl50?

The Cyclones definitely have a bit more impact - and some pretty surprising low-end rumble on some tracks - but I wouldn't say that it's a huge upgrade from the PL50 quantity-wise. The PL50 are very compliant with equalization so if a +5 Machbass setting doesn't give the OP the desired punch I hesitate to recommend the Cyclones. Monster Turbines would be my choice for 'powerful' bass and Maximo iM-590 for 'punchy'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back