Moving from Shure SE 530's to Full-Size Headphones, Need help please = )
Dec 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

essential-oils

Previously known as jlesnick
I've been a loyal user of the Shure SE 530's for the past 3 years and I've genuinely enjoyed my ride with them, but I feel it is time to move from in-ear monitors to a fuller sized headphone that can create some bigger bass. I listen to mostly trance/prog house and classical and am looking to spend $650 or less. Would really appreciate some recommendations of full sized headphones that are as good or better than the se 530's (clarity wise) and that would work well with trance. thank you
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 14
for trance type music I think you will enjoy the ultrasone pro900's, the are fast, have great midrange for all that electronic tones and the bass is solid and pronounced. They also have the advantage of being driven decently without amp.

You must consider than when passing from iem's to full size, good amping will be a necessity. If this is the case, then the AudioTechnica ATH AD-2000's will fit your bill and imo the best bet for the price range and your music, they bring air, speed and trance...

If you are willing to go for a tube amp, then the beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm is also a great option. Ah, and imo grado's are not worth considering for your music type.

good luck,

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 14
It seems like Shure developed the SRH840 as roughly a full-size version of the SE530, and the sound signature is similar. However, it certainly is not as clear as the SE530. Moving from my Triple.Fi 10's to the SRH840 I found the difference in detail took some getting used to, but I eventually came to love the warm sound of it.

I do think the SE530 and the SRH840 are similar overall. Also, the SRH840's are reasonably inexpensive.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 14
After spending a good amount of time with both 530's and the 840's, I can no longer recommend them to people who are looking to buy them expecting them to sound similar. IMO, the similarity is there to some extent, but mainly with level of warmth and smoothness. Where they are different in a BIG way is in the mids... 530's mids are MUCH more upfront and has fuller lower mids and is more balanced overall, while 840's mids have a slight peak at upper mids and the lower mids can feel a bit empty. IMO the vocals are magical on the 530's but sometimes sound off on the 840's (it is by far my biggest disappointment with the 840's, as happy as I am with them overall). The highs on 840's are much more extended, and the bass on them are a bit tighter as well, but 530's bass sound fuller.

So yeah, I think that the similarity is somewhat overstated with these two headphones. IMO they are quite different, and feel that other fullsize headphones such as HD650 and DX1000 sound closer to the 530 sound.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 14
If you like the SE530, then SRH-840 is the full size headphone with the most similar sounding, except much open treble which means much balanced in frequency performance. Highly recommended especially for first time headphone user and SE530 lover, I am sure you wouldn't regret.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 14
I'll have to admit, I'm a huge trance/psy trance listener and when I had my Grado RS-1's and my Mapletree Audio Amp it was something special when listening to bands like Infected Mushroom and Shpongle. I remember hearing all the nuances in the recordings and the pleasure of just closing my eyes and listening.

I wouldn't totally rule out the Grado's however it could just be my combination of equipment suited my style, I ran a Meridian 506 Transport going to a Electrompaniet ECD-1 and a Mapltree Audio HD.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650. 'Nuff said.

I always felt that the HD650 and E530 had a similar sound. Worth checking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back