Moving From PC Back To Mac
Mar 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 19
Fat32 may be universal, but it has serious performance, recoverability and stability issues when used on large drives.  See: http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm before making your decision. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 19
Been meaning to update for some time.
When with one of the new shiny mac minis and am very happy with sound quality but the hard drives have been an issue.
Firstly formated in fat32 and everything was fine until I went to transfer my movie collection, fat32 has a max file size much lower than the 4gb that most of my films are taking up!
In the end I have gone with the windows format so I can read but not write to the drives, this is suting me just fine.
On a similar note, what external drives is everyone using as the one I am using seems to be increasing the noise of the drives spinning up every few minutes

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
Been meaning to update for some time.
When with one of the new shiny mac minis and am very happy with sound quality but the hard drives have been an issue.
Firstly formated in fat32 and everything was fine until I went to transfer my movie collection, fat32 has a max file size much lower than the 4gb that most of my films are taking up!
In the end I have gone with the windows format so I can read but not write to the drives, this is suting me just fine.
On a similar note, what external drives is everyone using as the one I am using seems to be increasing the noise of the drives spinning up every few minutes

I am using a Hitachi Deskstar 2tb external with OWC enclosure, works well.  Not a quiet as my Samsung spinpoint 1TB drives but okay when listening to music.  Did you end up buying some new externals to format for Mac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back