Moving advice: self-move or moving company?
Aug 28, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by crazychile
I got a quote to move the stuff (I pack) and the quote was almost 6 grand.

Interestingly enough, the moving companies seem to estimate high to give themselves lots of breathing space. I did the move from NY to San Jose about 4 years agp and they told me it would be 6 grand. When the bill came it was actually around 3.6K. Same thing when my wife moved from NY to San Jose when we got married. Of course, YMMV.

Aug 28, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 23
well, so far it seems like a 60/40 split, between DIY vs movers.

thanks for the input guys!!

I am still stuck though. I will look into the idea of hiring help to come help load the truck, thanks for the suggestion. However, if we factor the cost of the truck, the gas, the laborers... it probably isn't much less than hiring a moving company. The perk that I imagine of DIY is more control over the loading/unloading, absolute control of when my stuff arrives (I have been told movers arrive within a few days to a WEEK...sigh), and the peace of mind that nothing is happening to my stuff when I'm not around.

So what to preserve: my back, or my peace of mind.

Also....I still have the boxes for my speakers (3-4' tall floor standers), and Im thinking of filling the excess space with packing popcorn. If anyone has ideas for how the handle my babies, please let me know. Same goes for headphones, etc

Aug 29, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 23
No way in hell were going to move out of a 4th story walk-up trying to get our huge peices of furniture out of there ourselves. We're just too old for that kind of foolishness now.
wink.gif

But how do you know what companies are reputable and who isn't? We decided to ask my husband's grandmother for advice. She lives in a rather posh retirement community, and if it's one thing her and the other grannies' know, it's what movers to avoid.

It all came down to one company that continually got good praise in her social group. She also told us who definately to avoid. So we called up the company, they walked around the place and did an estimate (highlighting in their notes that this was a stair-climbing hell) of about 700 Euros. Later that weak they came by with the crates to pack everything up, and supplied us with more than enough.

The actual day of moving was the best move I've ever done. It took about an hour to get out of the old place, and took them two hours to get everything into the new. They even were kind enough to estimate high, as the final bill was not more than 500 (could it have been 300?? I just remember that it was way cheaper) - and for a move done in basically 3 hours. They came by the next day to pick up the moving crates. In short it was the best 500 Euros we ever spent.

The company's name is Viktor Ek, in case any Finns need a moving company.

So if in doubt, ask your elders - they might know of some reputable companies to use.

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 23
I hate moving. If you're going to use professional movers, make sure you estimate correctly.

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
Also....I still have the boxes for my speakers (3-4' tall floor standers), and Im thinking of filling the excess space with packing popcorn. If anyone has ideas for how the handle my babies, please let me know. Same goes for headphones, etc

I would wrap them in bubble wrap first to keep the nasty little pieces of peanuts from being able to get in there. The last speakers I boxed, I went completely with bubble wrap and cocooned them inside it in their box and then wrapped that box in more bubble wrap and another box. Wound up with about 4 inches of bubble wrap at the thinnest point, 6 at the thick points, plus two boxes and the original endcaps. It survived the UPS gorillas without even the slightest problem, I thought they'd rise to the challenge and lose it, but I guess the insurance kept them from it!

Sep 3, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 23
thanks gplamer, i think I will follow your example
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I've been convinced to go with movers, much to my chagrin...and now have to pack everything super carefully. Time to go get a few miles' worth of bubble wrap.

Anyone have any experience with Bekins or Allied? anyone to stay away from?

thanks again everyone

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Interestingly enough, the moving companies seem to estimate high to give themselves lots of breathing space. I did the move from NY to San Jose about 4 years agp and they told me it would be 6 grand. When the bill came it was actually around 3.6K. Same thing when my wife moved from NY to San Jose when we got married. Of course, YMMV.

I heard a lot of horror tales of just the opposite. My ex-wife used to sell for a large United Van Line franchise and quit out of frustration with their shady dealings...and they are a reputable company. Often they low ball the price to get the job then just before unloading your stuff drop the bombshell that "there was more stuff than estimated" "or it took much longer than expected", and demand more money than the original estimate or you don't get your stuff. And they can legally do this.

There's no doubt it's quicker and easier to hire movers (still best to pack yourself whichever way you go) but I'd check several recent references from the company before committing. And try to get a "100% firm quote"....in writing.

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I heard a lot of horror tales of just the opposite.

That was the beahvior I was expecting, I was really, really surprised when the bills came out low twice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back