Movies with stereo gear in them.
Jun 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

chunkluv

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

After being a bit of a headfi introvert, I am finally starting my first thread.  I apologize first of all, if this is a duplicate thread.  Second, I apologize if this is not posted in the right section.  I just didn't feel right putting it in the gear threads because it is about movies, not the stereos.  Anyway, on to the post!  I can think of a few movies with nicer stereos in them:

9 1/2 Weeks: McIntosh, Nakamichi tape deck, couldn't make out the others.
High Fidelity: Can't remember.
Love Potion Number 9: I think it was NAD gear.

Those are the only 3 I can think of.  Any others?

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 19
Damn you!

You've got me thinking of a film with a a load of McIntosh gear and I'm sure was a high-end turntable. It featured quite well in the film, too, not just something in the background.

Grrr, can't think of it now! It'll come.

All I remember from the film is: An older gentleman is in his nice house, I think theirs boxes around and possibly the only thing he's unpacked is his hifi gear. His ex-wife (possibly) visits about something and I think he takes a heart-attack or passes out for some reason.

Annoying.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 19
In one of the "Three... Extremes" short films, the middle one I believe, the guy has a McIntosh stereo

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 19

http://juanjorodriguez.eresmas.net/r2rinmovies/r2rmovies.htm

Quote:
The Mechanic has a pretty sweet audiophile setup. Don't know what any of it is though.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 19
I seem to remember seeing some AudioEngine A5s in The Social Network, at one of the offices. Not super high end, but not bad for an office!

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Most of the stuff I can remember from movies looked like crap, but I'm reading an old novel atm that features not one, but two, audiophiles. One Russian, one English and both have the same dream - to spend their retirement nesteggs on the gear needed to listen to Beethoven until they die. It was written back in the 80s, and the whole thing revolves around a spy code based on music - its more about the brutality of the Russian Gulag than audio, but I still find it interesting when the heroes normally have more cliched and predictable hobbies.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 19
I think there's some hifi gear at Matt Damon's "the departed"

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 19
There's a gorgeous J.A. Michell Hydraulic Transcriptor in "A Clockwork Orange."

Fun trivia fact: Michell designed and built the spaceship in "2001."

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 19
Patrick Bateman: Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? 
Paul Allen: They're OK. 
Patrick Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. 
Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram. 
Patrick Bateman: Yes, Allen? 
Paul Allen: Why are their copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something? 
Patrick Bateman: No, Allen. 
Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat? 
Patrick Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. 
[raises axe above head] 
Patrick Bateman: Hey Paul! 
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back