Movie theatre experience? Still worth the price of admission.
Jun 24, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #61 of 63
No qualms about going to the theater if the movie looks interesting.

I've had very good luck with Kerasotes theaters. If you have one in your local area, check it out. In my experience, the sound and picture quality are as well-calibrated as can be expected, but most importantly the sound level is at a reasonable volume.

I went to a showing of Shrek 3 at a different theater chain with my girlfriend and the kids whom she was babysitting, simply because we couldn't make it to the other theater in time, and we were absolutely blown away by the sheer SPL. The kids practically had their ears covered for the whole movie. Awful movie, BTW--the ear trauma wasn't worthwhile.

Also, they were using some new Texas Instruments DLP projectors. The picture quality looked great with still shots, but the minute motion began, everything became a blur...

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #62 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you want to be straight with someone investing $20K ..

I have no problem with off topic. That is where the real interesting stuff is anyway.

I can see how the music/film/equipment analogy would strike a chord for some. To me it doesn't matter. Frankly I couldn't care less if someone plays Britney Spears on repeat through a 20k audio set-up for eternity. It's their money. They should feel no responsibility or have to worry about farenheit 451 style brigrade stopping by to take care of their Catwoman DVD.

Then again, maybe I'm not helping advance cultural taste. Then again, what is taste? I get all mixed up attempting to draw lines in the sand. I'm the last one that should anyway. I'll leave that to the blessingx's of the world.

It's an interesting idea none the less. For conversation sake, let's say I watch Orgasmo through a 10k home theater set-up. How many times would I have to view Delicatessen to return to neutral if viewing responsibility were a floating point?

Of course, I don't buy a-lot of movie critique either. Sometimes, I feel like hitching the nearest lumber truck like Robert Duprea in Five Easy Pieces.

Quote:

With great systems come great responsibilities

Oh great phrase by the way; may I use it to inscribe my next iPod?

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #63 of 63
The steps between social criticism and police action, at least in this case, are large ones. And I've always had difficulty believing all cultural disagreements are simply a matter of equally weighted and worthy 'taste.' But I may have overstepped the bounds with equating film and music worth to this community and/or for a link between the hammer and the house being built. Apologies if I went too far. I'm sure my limited negative comments, which believe me were actually made positively, will be quickly counter-balanced in support for the next film mentioned, whatever the title, by another.

And you're welcome to use the quote.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back